1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured zoology/marine biology

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by androo, Jan 2, 2010.

1. androo

androo Registered

hay guys

does anyone study the above or studied them please i would realy like to do something like this but just wondering if i am to old (33),how do i go about it and were would it take me what job could i do with it,im just realy intrested in anything to do with the ocean etc [confused1.gif]

i want a different direction in life and maybe do something i enjoy [003.gif]

any info would be great

cheers

andy

2. cdelly

cdelly Registered

never too old, you go for it.

my sister is a qualified marine bio, but now teaches science
    she loved the course and now tells me how to run my tank );,

3. androo

androo Registered

thanks chris

you dont know how long she studied for do you please im just going to do a search on it

andy

4. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

If you are doing a degree in either zoology or Marine Biology you are looking at 3-4 yrs full time depending on the course.

I was going to do Zoology combined with Microbiology at Aberystwyth University for which I was accepted but changed my mind and did Biomedical Science part time with a full time job in a Microbiology lab.

The part time route is very difficult, prepare not to see your family for 4 yrs, with work and study along with lectures and practicals, I spent 4yrs with my head in books and with constant exhaustion.

If you do go ahead, I wish you every luck [thumbup.gif]

If you already have a degree, you could probably do a either a conversion, or depending on your degree, you could do a postgraduate course which is likely to be 2 yrs.

Most science subjects would be ok for a postgrad course, depending on Uni.

5. androo

androo Registered

6. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Do a google search for zoology and marine biology courses, make sure UK only ticked.

You may be able to do something part time. I know I could do post grad courses via distance learning, check the open university aswell and see if they have anything on offer.

You may be able to do a HND course or similar that you could then convert to a degree later on. They usually count HND courses as points for year one and sometimes two if you later go on to a degree course.

7. androo

androo Registered

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

That will get you an access route to a degree later on and will also count as credits towards your chosen degree.

Looking at the courses on offer http://www2.hull.ac.uk/ug/10/biological_and_biomedical_sci.aspx

They also have the courses you are looking for. You would need to find out if they take part time students or distance learning students. If you are looking at part time, you need to find a way to fit this in with your work, my part time degree was day and half release in the first year and a half, then day release for the remainder of the 4 yrs.

Did you do A levels? Foundation modules and access courses are usually the same level as A level work.

9. LittleOcean

LittleOcean Registered

Foundation level etc. maybe a good way to test the water too, see if it's really your cup of tea.?

10. androo

androo Registered

no im afraid not, when i turned 16 went on a yt then a full time job was offered, when i was that age just wanted to be out of school and be earning money but as always when you get older you wish you did better at school i.e taking things for granted!

11. androo

androo Registered

you could be right there bud [confused1.gif], im going to send for some more info i keep saying i need to move on but never do i suppose you just comfty dont you!

thanks

andy

12. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

An access course is definatley the way to go then.

You will need to cover Chemistry and Biology for what you are looking to do, Biological Sciences access courses usually cover these.

13. Imperator

Imperator Registered

I think i've heared of a 'Sparsholt college' (excuse the spelling) that run alot of courses to do with the marine life etc. Try a google search.

14. androo

androo Registered

thanks tina

can i ask what your doing with yourself after you have been studying??

i just need to be able to study and support myself realy i also need to think what sort of career it can bring too, i just need to get out the comfy zone realy too! i love anything to do with the ocean and marine life and anything to help conservation but things you like doing doesnt normally bring you a job does that make sense?

andy

15. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I did Biomedical Sciences while working in a Microbiology lab.

Technically I am a Biomedical Scientist speciallising in Microbiology in a hospital laboratory, unfortunately, at work I got hit in the corridor by a 1/4 tonne machine which has left me disabled and taking morphine for the last 12 months.

I have now not worked for 16 months, although am still employed by the NHS Trust where the accident occurred. It could take another 12 months for recovery, I may be disabled for much longer. I do not yet have a prognosis.

I wish I had stuck to my original choice. I may not be able to do laboratory work again, I may end up lecturing instead.

The next 6 months or so should give me some idea.

16. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

Never too late to do anything, some of my friends may laugh at me but I've joined a gym this year.

May seem far reached but I'm hoping for a six pack by next christmas.

Larry.

17. Realist

Realist Registered

What gym? I thinking of signing up );,

18. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

JJB at Burnden :D

19. Realist

Realist Registered

Might have a look is it expensive.

20. BigLarry

BigLarry Guest

£36 a month.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice