1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Zoas Not Opening

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by jackthelad, Oct 18, 2010.

1. jackthelad

jackthelad Registered

Hi there,

I bought a colony of bright green zoa about a week back and they were fine when i first put them in but now hardly any are opening up and the ones that do have lost there green :crying:

I have a algae problem at the moment and i have seen it on the zoa's so i wondered if this could be stopping them opening,, but that dosent explain the colour loss :confused:

Can anyone help please?

Thanks alot,

Jack

2. jackthelad

jackthelad Registered

Anyone? lol

3. peerless

peerless Registered

They need light to retain their colour, if they are being smothered and not opening they will not be recieving light. You need to get on top of the algae problem.

4. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

what are your perameters,sounds like you have a phosphate problem with that amount of algae.

5. jackthelad

jackthelad Registered

I put them rite towards the top and i have 2 x compact T5's so should be enough i think :023:
    And my phosphates are through the roof,, i have a reactor on the way this week and going to start running Rowathos but not sure how long it will take to get rid o the algea when i have it up and running?? If they dont open will they die??

Thanks
    Jack

6. Sandy

Sandy Registered

sort out phosphates first, rowaphos and water changes, if algae is on the zoas you can gently brush it off (wear gloves if handling and eye protection!!!, just in case)

have a read of this , it might help...http://www.zoaid.com/index.php?name=FAQ&id_cat=3

sandy

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice