1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured zoa names/morphs?

Discussion in 'Zoa Eye Candy' started by deb+wayne, Sep 23, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

does anyone have a list of the names of the zoa morphs?

2. killi

killi Moderator & Jedi Master

The problem is with zoa names ,is they are made up :whistling: there is NO scientific providence to the names given ,IMHO its just a case of who shouts loudest gives it the name ,These names were only used in the USA, but seems to be creeping to other parts of Europe ,Why dont we start calling our acro's names like [ the tower of london ] [big ben] ,Sorry for the rant ,but IMO we should use scientific names IE ,orange zoa,blue zoa,purple zoa,ect ,,,not bam bam orange,baby blue,and named after a 50s pop song ,purple people eater ,:eek:

3. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

like you say pete,
    its taking off in the uk and people are collecting various sort after morphs (me included)

with the new 'the zoa swap' section i think it would be great to help so people id which morphs they are swapping. as zoas can look completly different under various lighting so if it is named people can always google it and see various pics of the morph.

if they were not named people could not do this and may be dissapointed with these bight zoas that are actually brown under 10k's

4. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

This daft craze is spreading to sps, there is now a jedi mind trick undata lol

5. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

Maybe you could kick of a uk zoa id database :D

6. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

i'm with Pete on this, naming zoas is daft, as there are so many variations even within a name. take a look at fire n ice for example. how many variations of this have you seen? i've seen an awful lot.

do i buy zoas because they have a funky name, no. i buy them because I think they may look good under my lighting.
    would they look good under 'Bob from down the road's' lighting, who knows, but naming them isn't going to make them look any different.

7. killi

And thats why i have a problem Rob :eek: were does it stop ????? in the end scientific names wont be used for ANY corals ,so all the study by academics will be pointless ,Like i said its just my opinion,When a member comes on here asking for a id on say a acro ,should i say thats a strawberry & cream or a la packers acro ,has IMO its as valid as the made up names given to zoa ????

8. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

most zoas come under one latin name tho :(
    whereas acros,millis etc have various latin names

9. swin

swin Registered

dont have a problem with the names myself but wouldnt buy them based on a name but like stated it gives you an idea which morph they are with a quick check on zoa id you get a pic
    but like you said corals look different under different lights
    sps are different because each morph has a different latin name already but zoas dont so thats why people name them

10. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

some sort of database would be great :clap:
    chop chop i want it finished for sundayHysterical

11. killi

Like i said its just my opinion ,Its so easy to jump on the bandwagon ,take hong kong zoa for instance ,there is no Zoa's from hong kong ? ,they are just shipped from there ,

12. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

Lol we will try and get it going, collect data over a month and then we will compile oh findings lol

13. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

yup just makes them more desirable. but sadly they caused a zoapox outbreak in the uk :(

14. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Im with Killi the problem is they are made up and if you have ever googled a name of a morph youll also see various different zoas all called the same IMO discription or picture is the way to go not names.
    Bit like we have had fire and ice zoas before but never said they was as it is open to people say this is not fire and ice although it may match a google image that says it is.

Just my opinion

15. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

what have i started :cry:

16. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

I think this will become the trend with zoas other here and has been the trend over in the usa for some time. However when it starts creaping into other corals then thats the time it stops.

17. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

i think it will spread to other corals, as it is a clever way for companies (or people) selling them to make them sound more interesting.
    i can easily see it happening to some of the colourful mushrooms we're now seeing in this country.

18. killi

I fear your right ,

19. okieo

okieo Registered

How many people know the scientific names? For some people it's part of the hobby, but for the mass consumer something catchy/cool sounding is easier to market. As salt water aquariums become more and more accessible/manageable to the average Joe blog it's understanding that names of livestock will become easier to name

20. anguilla82

anguilla82 Registered

hence why almost all species have a common name as well as a scientific name.
    randomly creating names for zoas or other corals is just something on top of these two naming systems.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice