1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured X-inout or Ultra slim Weir

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by stevewild31, Feb 22, 2011.

1. stevewild31

stevewild31 Registered

Hi all,

I've been in the process of collecting all the various bits of kit together to start my 1st salty tank - It's gonna be a sumped 180 vision, After various questions and advice on here, I 'Had' decided on a twin standpipe with a corner weir in 25mm pipe. However when I came to drilling the tank and cabinate, I found the pipe work wouldn't fit in the corner configuration due to the frame - (Don't want to mess about re-designing the cabinate), And a squar or rectanguler weit, takes too much room out of a small tank..... So back to the drawing board !

At about this time I came across X-Aqua's X-inout, at around £120. but can't find anyone who uses one - nor a UK stockist, I also came across a thread on another board about 'an Ultra Thin Weir' This basically is taking the twin standpipe method- but substituting recrangular 'glass formed' conduits built into the bottom and back of the tank aprox 15mm x 100 via low profile bulkheads - instead of 'classic 25mm standpipes'. This takes only about 25mm from the 'front to back' width (?) and abit from the bottom which would be hidden by sand anyway.

Anyone got any thoughts on this ?

2. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

I like the idea of these ultra thin weir's but don't really know enough about them yet. You can have the tank surface skimming from the full length of the tank, which must be better. Let me know if you find anything else out.

3. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

Liking the idea of the x-aqua's, but that is a big price tag when you can get a overflow box.

I think you should try the ultra thin weir as above a full length tank surface being skimmed must always be a good thing

4. stevewild31

stevewild31 Registered

Too late !!! I've got an inout coming next week, I think the idea of the Ultra thin weir is good but as a newbe - i don't think I have the experience to be breaking new ground - wouldn't like to get a tank set up with new inhabitant's only to make a 'basic' mistake with a 'new' style of weir and put them at risk..

(I didn't want an overflow box to break-up the clean lines of the top of the tank)

We'll see how it goes. :)

5. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

That X inout looks very interesting, how much room does it need behind the tank? Where have you bought it from and how much did you end up paying. This solves the problem of ugly weirs.

6. stevewild31

stevewild31 Registered

I've only got a 180l tank so didn't want to loose so much room to the weir, I think they need 3-4 inches behind the tank - I'll know more when they arrive on Wednesday.
    It took my for ever to track one down, eventually got one (New) from an Italian fleebay seller. Here's the item number
    flee Bay Item 310299352611

You may need to go to the ebay.it site to find it (god bless google translate !

I've paid £146 Euro's including del (about £127).

7. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Cheers for that, I will be interested to find out how good these are. I guess the only downside is they don't have a backup in case the overflow gets blocked.

8. wesley

wesley Registered

look very good. i am thinking of start with old tank again (rr94), convert it with sump. wondering how noise it'll make?

9. stevewild31

stevewild31 Registered

The x-inout arrived today :) , First impressions are pretty good, the outflow is pretty big at around 40mm dia, but the return is very small 9-10mm dia, Not convinced about the flow rate being 2000lph as it says on the box ! But we'll have to see.

It didn't have any tech details or instructions regarding hole size and locations ie where to position the outflow to set the tank water line - anyone got any idea's ?

i'll post a couple of pic's later (when I find my camera), then waiting for the fleebay drills and i'll be good to go - apart from going on holiday Saturday for a week's diving and sun...

10. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

I think when I googled them the other day I found a few links to reef sanctuary and they had the details of the size of holes needed.

11. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Any updates on the x inout?

12. GazzMan

GazzMan Registered

Link removed

Dont know if im allowed to do this, but have a look at scoobs build, also has some video on utube

Gazz

13. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Gazz, cheers for that, they are the ones I have been looking at. Looks a good bit of kit, and might solve my issue of not wanting a weir.

14. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

+1 great pick up mate...going to have to look into this...my tank is 245L but wanting as much useable space as poss!

15. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

ps wot return pump are you using? with the 2000 LPH limit you'd have to be careful in one you get?

16. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

If you look at UR they are using far bigger pump, one person is running two unit with Eheim 1262, 3400l on each. The other is using a laguna 7500 with a Y piece to feed both.

17. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

was trying to filter out all the other stuff on that thread to find out where he got his from....checked the ebay seller steve got his from and can't find any...doh! might as LFS if they can order in

18. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

They sell them at H2O Aquatics

19. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

ta for that

20. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

I've PM'ed Steve, who has one in use. He is going to try and get a video up over the weekend, showing how it is working.
    Couple more questions for you Steve,

What pump are you using with the X inout? and are you using any other pumps?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice