1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Would it be worth while?

Discussion in 'Site Feedback and Suggestions' started by Bluez_01, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Thinking back from when you joined the forum, did you ever wish that you could have a place to ask a marine related question that was perhaps a bit silly or thought you would look silly if you asked it, and therefore never did?

I am toying on the idea of having a hidden area for new members, where you can post a marine related question and be answered by an experienced keeper or mod/admin, thus building up a bit of confidence before being thrown to the wolves, I mean by our members... :-d

I would like to hear your input, more so from new`ish members that have not been with us for that long, we would obviously only be looking at supporting new members for a period of time, say up to 10 posts or whatever, but this should give them a "buddy" that they are use too, or a solid footing to start posting on the forums for help.

I have seen from the stats over the past 6 months, that quiet a few members join and only post once or twice then vanish in to the abyss, therefore I am wondering if its perhaps because they dont know anyone or perhaps feel embarrassed about asking questions they leave us and drift away. Big Thumbs Up

2. Eaval

Eaval Registered

I think that would be good idea. Even if only helps a few it was worthwhile

3. warby

warby Registered

sounds like a good idea to me aswel. I remember starting to post here and was a bit nervous posting up what seemed to me daft questions and didn't post up some for that reason. it was only once I got to know a few people I started to get more confident in asking about things I wasn't sure on.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

4. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I can see positive and negative sides to this option.

I say, trial it & then get some feedback from the members it affected then keep it or cancel it

D

5. Scott

Scott Registered

I think its a good idea Big Thumbs Up

The only issue is peoples opinions differ... par example if you gave [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] a buddy and a whitespot question came out the new member would leave as they would lose their fish within 5 minutes as they would commit suicide as a preventative measue to advice.... [MENTION=20322]warby[/MENTION] would make the new members head explode with textbook answers and then in a borris johnson esque style revert to skimmers... if you gave a buddy to me.... they would run for the fookin hills thinking its a lunatic asylum...

So the trick would surely be finding someone seasoned on a level enough to pass knowledge that hasnt got a personality disorder like me or head strong opinions or answers from the book of marine biology Hysterical

6. Scott

Scott Registered

Further to the above... ask for volunteers and profile them.... let the new member see the choice of buddies and ask the buddy to volunteer and do a short write up on what that could offer the new member... as some new members would appreciate the style of one person but find another useless or even uncomunicable

Just To add to the idea... ive spent my tuppence worth

7. merser

merser Registered

Hahah [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] that sounds like speed dating!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. merser

merser Registered

*without the happy ending!

9. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

I like this idea a lot, great input Scott. Big Thumbs Up

10. Scott

Scott Registered

Im not talking about bubbles thai massage in bl1 buddy Hysterical

Thought you were not allowed in there anymore after what was described as the baby oil massacre of 2014 ... you must miss your wappy wendings because i was talking about helping forum newbies Hysterical

11. CEECH

CEECH Registered

thats a great idea to get people up and running :) just dont put [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] or [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] on the team or they may not think this is a fish forum lol now run also and play with you oils boys Hysterical

12. Scott

Scott Registered

The police named [MENTION=21336]merser[/MENTION] as a key suspect in the slippery investigation into ill goings on at a thai parlour late 2014.... they said although no further action could be taken at this time due to lack of evidence... three masseauses from bubbles implicated a man 6ft 4 with red hair and bolton twang.... the incident involved 4 people the alledged male 3 thai girls a **** load of baby oil and cries of a 110% whitespot free fishtank!!! Hysterical

13. warby

warby Registered

this seems to be heading down a slippery slope........

14. merser

merser Registered

Hahah

Going back to the point, I think it's a nice sentiment but will be difficult to action. It presumes that people signing up are 'newbies' and also that they'll want a mentor. Then as mentioned above there is the issue of who mentors. Everyone has different opinions on the correct way to do things.

Then you have the issue of only having about 7 active members of the forum!

Don't want to poo poo the idea, but in reality I think it will be difficult.

Jamie

15. Scott

Scott Registered

7 active members then those who pop in say hey look at my awesome tank heres a pictuee and **** off again or pop on oh theres a bargain snap it up or kick off when they dont get it Hysterical

I also get what your saying... but the help is also related to the forum and making friends not just the workings trials and tribulations of marine.

I still think its a good idea but hey without trying wont know if it will work

16. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

The idea is not to make a life long friend as such, but more of somewhere to post without fear of getting slated because of a question, far too many sites and social media areas have this "keyboard" warrior approach it seems, or the "clicky family" and it really doesn`t help the long term of the hobby, I agree about the various advice, what one persons view would be, can be completely different to someone else`s view, but with a profile idea like Scott mentioned, the new member can take a pick of whom they wish to approach for advice, again this would only be for a limited amount of posts before they set out on the forum in general, giving them a basic footing to start off with.

It can be extremely daunting posting on a new forum, more so if you dont know anyone, I recall back to when I first joined I did not post in the "I`m New" area for ages, through the fear of getting slated/no replies and also about not knowing anything at all about marines, it was only after a few months of reading around the forum and reading you wacky lots replies that I thought these guys are seriously imbalanced I will probably fit in here... :lol:

I think sometimes it is good to have a place where you can ask a question, get some sound advice and set you off on the right foot, of course new members will not be forced in to this area, but it will be an area that they know is private and they can ask anything they want without fear of looking silly, all the threads/posts will be "hidden" from the forum members, apart from the ones that have access to it through volunteering.

To some degree it will be this initial contact/help that they are given from the volunteers that will dictate if they stay or leave I would guess, if we trial it for a few months and it doesn`t seem to work, then we can hit it on the head, and look at other things, but to keep the forum moving forward we need new active members, we need ideas to put forward to prevent the forum becoming stagnated and "clicky" like some other no names mentioned forums that are out there.

TSB has stood the test of time, and though well established amongst the "older generation" that have been in this hobby for years, the new marine keepers are not finding us, or if they are they are not becoming active regular members, I know social media has taken a chunk out of forums in general, but I have been around a few of the FB forums, and the advice that is given on some of these makes me want to scream in horror, not to mention the slating that people get for asking a question that is classed as being "stupid".

Trying to post a reply with sound information, normally ends up with someone trying to slate you and telling you that you have no idea what your on about, (most frustrating thing in the world!), obviously the lack of education on some of these FB groups is mind blowing, and its hardly surprising that many are put off by such replies.

But anyway, getting back on topic... how many experienced members would be interested in taking up a volunteering roll? it would not need hours and hours committed to it, but a few hours a week if you have had a request for help, obviously the more volunteers we have, the less likely the work load would be logically, I would probably guess we would need around 5 perhaps in total, and without sounding sexist, ideally one of them would need to be a female, and no that does not mean putting on a wig and tights Scott... Hysterical

17. Scott

Scott Registered

Haha... its not scott is josephine of a weekend Hysterical

18. CEECH

CEECH Registered

Hysterical you just ruined [MENTION=22376]Scott[/MENTION] day [MENTION=16451]Bluez_01[/MENTION] Hysterical he loves putting on tights and a wig Hysterical

19. warby

warby Registered

is there any active females on here [MENTION=16451]Bluez_01[/MENTION]
    I'd be up for helping out as I'm normally lurking around the forum somewhere lol

20. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Females yes, active... is another question, I have one in mind though I would need to approach to see if they would be interested in doing such things first though. May be this will lead to more females coming on to the forum which is something we are surely missing on here.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice