1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured witch aipista killer

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by wotever, Apr 1, 2015.

1. wotever

wotever Registered

hello witch aiptasia killer is the best one , file fish , Joe's Juice , aiptasia x or peppermint shrimp ty Thanks

2. CandSMcKay

CandSMcKay Registered

I've found aiptasia X worked really well for me, however it all depends how many you can see?

3. wotever

wotever Registered

ty i can see 4 of the little sods lol

4. Hazey

Hazey Registered

With only 4 I'd be inclined to use AiptasiaX
    Turn all powerheads off & treat, turn powerheads back on after 10 mins.
    Re-treat the next day if not successful on first attempt

5. Jps1971

Jps1971 Registered

I use a syringe from chemist and standard lemon juice. Works for me and found it better than aiptasia x.

6. Andi

Andi Registered

As I've said in previous posts, it's a Filefish for me every time! I'd never be without one now!

7. trout

trout Registered

Nothing will 100% eradicate aiptasia once you have it in your tank. Whatever you do will simply be nothing more than an exercise of controlling their population so as not to allow them to become a nuisance/danger to your corals. I have found that biological means of tackling the problem (e.g. peppermints, filefish, copperband, Klein's butterfly fish, Heniocus acuminatus), together with chemical means (I highly recommend Joes juice), is best.

However, after trying different methods and coming to terms with the fact that they will not disappear, you will learn to live with them. If you can somehow control their numbers in your main display, but allow them to grow in your weir and/or sump, they will be one of the best CUCs. It is not all bad news after all.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2015
  8. wotever

wotever Registered

ty for all the replies

9. CandSMcKay

CandSMcKay Registered

Do you not keep a reef?

10. Whitey

Whitey Registered

File Fish everytime.
    I tried Aip X an couldn't get it to work right. There was an Aip explosion.
    A month after getting the file fish and there isn't one visible. He's worth his weight in gold.

11. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I disagree here...

Berghia Nudibranch only eat aiptasias & once all gone they will starve & die. I had fields of aiptasias at one point & tried varying methods from potions to natural predators but at best merely reduced the population but the nudis cleared them all & I moved the nudis on once I started seeing them in Tue daytime as they were that hungry they even came out in the daytime to hunt for them....12 months later & still not one aiptasia in my tank

12. trout

trout Registered

Lucky you. I have mixed reports on bergia nudibranches. Having also tried them in the past (spending a lot of money) I have come to the conclusion that they are a waste money. Have you checked aiptasia in your weir, sump and rocks/macro algae in your sump? If aiptasia have not spreader in those areas, then you were definitely lucky.

FAO OP: All the fish I mentioned in my previous post also eat corals. Errm Sorry....

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 2, 2015
  13. jas

jas Registered

I'm considering the laser myself, but I'm hesitant for fear that I would blind my fish.

14. trout

trout Registered

I am sorry, but this won't work either because you will only be able to kill aiptasia, which you can see.

15. Dave1987

Dave1987 Registered

+1 for aiptasia X. I had probably between 15-30 of the things in my tank about 3 years ago. I zapped the lot with this stuff and seen nothing since!

16. jas

jas Registered

How do we kill aptasia that we don't see?

17. jamesthecowfish

jamesthecowfish Registered

When I had them I used hot lemon juice squirted into them with a syringe. Also worked with majano anenomes

18. trout

trout Registered

You can try to treat each live rock in a separate tank. I took out each live rock in turn, scraped each and every aiptasia on them before showering them with hydrogen peroxide. I even used soldering iron. Sadly, they came back eventually.

Any of the methods mentioned so far will work as long as you accept that you can only control aiptasia population as opposed to exterminate it. For example, I had nearly hundred aiptasias in my display tank in the past, but now at most ten. I am a lot happier. I would be upset if my aim were to have zero aiptasias...

Regarding the chemical methods, I found that Joes juice is a lot more effective than Aiptasia x. I believe it contains mild form of sodium hydroxide, which can be deadly at higher concentrations.

19. wotever

wotever Registered

ty for the advice i think i will try joes juice thankyou every one

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice