1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Will my tank be okay on this stand.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Dec 5, 2011.

1. richard

richard Registered

I have a new river reef 48 tank that I want to sit on a solid wood stand.

The stand is slightly smaller in width than the tank, so the tank will be overhanging a couple of inch at the front.

The tank as a plastic support around the base, so the glass doesn't touch the bottom.

Will the tank be oaky like this ?

2. KBREEFER

KBREEFER Registered

Hi, if it was me, what I would do is get a piece of wood 10mm +thick and cut it to the exact shape of the bottom of the river reef ,paint it with black paint or varnish (your preference) so that any water spills won't soak into the wood and place that onto the top of the cabinet and then place the river reef onto this. That way all the weight of the full tank will be supported on the plastic edges of the tank and the floating glass bottom will not come into contact with the cabinet and with the piece of wood painted black it will match the plastic.
    I do think though that so long has all the back and most of the sides are supported you should be ok as the weight is supported on the edges with a floating glass bottom ,but just for piece of mind I have said what I would do.:rolleyes:
    Hope this is of some help. good luck with whatever way you do it.
    All the best KBREEFER.

3. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

I'd support the full weight similar to above regardless of the glass thickness and bracing etc Big Thumbs Up

4. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

As above I wouldn't risk it for the sake of a few quick spend on some marine plywood mate

5. richard

richard Registered

Thanks for advice I'll have to look into it.

I've had my tank in bedroom for the past 3 years and I now have permission to move it into the living room.

Problem is the stand isn't mine, its my mums, and I'm unsure if she will agree to having another piece of wood on top, but I'll ask.

I was hoping you were going to say it would be fine, but I suppose it better to be safe than sorry.

6. richard

richard Registered

Will 10mm be thick enough to support it then, suppose you wont really notice it at that thickness.

7. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

All you have to do mate is scribe the new pice of wood/processed board to the same shape as your tank and paint/stain it the same colour and bingo she wouldn't tell.
    Don't forget to counter sink the fixings into the new top so as not to crack the tank.

8. kris

kris Registered

Is it a river reef stamd?

9. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

yeah you would be sup prised how much weight it would take over a few inches Richard

10. richard

richard Registered

Sorry mate, not sure what you mean by the statement below ?

"Don't forget to counter sink the fixings into the new top so as not to crack the tank."

11. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

when you screw the new pice to the stand make sure the screw heads are below the surface of the new piece so it doesn't load pressure on the screw head

12. richard

richard Registered

Will in not be safe just resting in place without screwing it, won't the weight of the tank hold it in place.

I'm pushing it a bit having the tank down stairs, if I start drilling screws into her furniture I've had it lol.

13. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

lol it will be ok just makes it easier to keep in place when you place you tanks and adjust it into position mate .

14. ladielucie

ladielucie Registered

can you stick it down with no nails, that it what i used and it is fine :smile:

15. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

only thing being there when its time to move the tank your buggered lol Hysterical

16. ladielucie

ladielucie Registered

Whoops forgot about that, I don't have to move mine. Works though :smile:

17. richard

richard Registered

I think I'll glue the tank to the cut piece of wood, and then just rest it on top of the stand.

Thanks

18. ladielucie

ladielucie Registered

Can you do that if it is a floating base?

19. Mr Dave

Mr Dave Registered

TBH I wouldn't do that mate. you will be stuck with it then , pardon the pun

20. richard

richard Registered

Ye it would just be stuck to the plastic trim, not the glass base.

I'll think I'll leave it then, save messing about with glue, its not going to move anywhere with the weight of it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice