1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Why do so many reefers hate ATM colony

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by leopardshark, Sep 27, 2015.

1. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

As above let's discuss

2. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Me personally I love it??? Science is advancing

3. Andi

Andi Registered

I have absolutely no problems with this aid! I have used it on four new set ups.

4. boltonreefer

boltonreefer Registered

think with some of us older ones it just don't sit well especially in a hobby were patience is so important if i used it i would stock really slowly [over months not weeks] as i would be expecting the system to crash at some point but don't listen to me iv no experience at with the product just a gut feeling telling me its wrong.

5. boltonreefer

boltonreefer Registered

shops give me some testicle sized reef balance sci-fi crap to put in the sump of my new set-up, what the hell lets discuss that as well :biggrin:

6. warby

warby Registered

Never used it came close to using it when i did my upgrade as it gets good reviews but I decided against it
    1, I don't like dumping chemicals in the tank and only when iv tried all other things will I do so.
    2, the amount I would have needed would be close to £100

7. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Technically it's bacteria , your not growing a strain of bacteria ie like carbon dosing it's just bacteria

8. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Never used the stuff, but that doesn`t mean I never would though, I use Prime from time to time, as an emergency aid when needed. which I think is roughly the same thing.

Personally I love Tanked the show, but I don`t like how they make every tank look like a fairground attraction normally, I like fish tanks to look natural not artificial, but thats just personal taste I guess.

I am old school as well, I have let a new tank run its natural course of building bacteria up with the dead shrimp/prawn method, but I never felt comfy with not knowing how much ammonia was being produced, and therefore at the end when the tank had cycled, how much bacteria I actually had, this is when I switched over to the fish less ammonia cycle I use now.

I use ZeoBac to kick start my bacteria in all my new tanks, yes its more expensive than say ATM, or another like for like product out there, but I trust Zeo products, and because I know it works, I have never really considered trying anything else to be honest.

So.. Would I use ATM in the future, sure I don`t see any reason not to try it if I needed to use it.

9. conch

conch Registered

Could we also discus ATM Outbreak and Hot salt?

10. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

ATM outbreak I have a bottle but I don't really use it don't like the idea of switching ozone and skimmer off.. Hot salt I'm intrigued to find out about

11. conch

conch Registered

I also have a bottle of outbreak and not used it yet for the same reasons. o3 and skimmer. Got some hot salt today. i'm switching from RSCP. I'll let you know how i get on with it.

As for colony, i guess i will use it in the future. i can see why people don't like the idea though.

12. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

i'll be using it when i get my upgrade
    and i doubt it is actually made by ATM just marketed by them

i doubt channels with the reputation of Discovery etc would want any association with a show where they put £1000's of pounds worth of fish for them all to be dead in weeks

and im sure ATMs reputation would be shot to pieces too

13. Andi

Andi Registered

Must admit I'm a bit of an old fart myself (55yrs and counting!) I've been keeping marines for over 30yrs & am a bit sceptical with some new stuff, but I believe in trying something before discounting it. I tried it originally on a 50ltr nano (as it's damn expensive!) and indeed found it was ok. I've used it ever since when setting up 'virgin' tanks (as in all uncured new live rock set ups), with no problems.

14. 372xp

372xp Registered

Come on folks, Wade and Brett wouldnt sell you snake oil! Is this just a Fish Tank Kings V Tanked thread. I bet some folks on here would buy it if it was marketed by Living Color.
    And seriously I am considering this for my upgrade next month, I am going up another 150ltrs and will use this to boost the levels, I figure I need more than I will be able to transfer over from my existing 180ltr.

15. tyger

tyger Registered

If we are talking adding bacteria for start up then I used denitrol ( same thing)
    I double dosed for two days as instructed then addad 4 fish then normal dose for 10 days......I added another 4 fish after 1 week then three the 3rd week.....I checked my levels every other day and never got any ammonia reading. ..brilliant stuff only way I would go from now on. If your a newby reading this don't add your fish as quick as I did.

16. 372xp

372xp Registered

That is, unless like [MENTION=18380]tyger[/MENTION], you are completely minted!

17. tyger

tyger Registered

only cost me £30

18. tyger

tyger Registered

Is colony expensive??

19. 372xp

372xp Registered

Probably cheaper than adding 9 fish in a month! Its a fair price really, if it works, they say time is money and this is supposed to save a lot of time.

20. tyger

tyger Registered

Ah I see lol forgot about the cost of the fish.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice