1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Whitespot outbreak!

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Angiepangie, Sep 8, 2009.

1. Angiepangie

Angiepangie Registered

help! sorry dont know if Im in the right section...

I bought a yellow tang and its infected my tank with whitespot, he came out of the tank and back to my LFS with blackspot and whitespot but now the rest of my tank have it.. at first it was my sailfin tang who got it first but now all except my clowns have it... they're all feeding well but Im panicking about what to do.

Ive purchased a medicine called oodinex online which is supposed to be reef friendly can anyone recommend?

Poor little things, I want to see them happy and healthy :cry:

Angie..
    PS... yes I know I should have had a QT I have one now but too late I fear.. :(

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Depends Angie....

do you have inverts in the tank ???

if you do, theres nothing you can do really, the medicines for reef tanks are a waste of time. dont bother with them ive tried them all, it just stresses the fish more.

If not, get some copper based medicine - but do NOT use it if you have inverts or live rock in the system.

Your best bet would be to either buy or borrow a UV

Also, feed them little and often, like 4 times a day, but small amounts to keep their immune up.

if there healthy, they should pull through.

3. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

I had a little problem after adding a tang, I noticed another couple of spots at the weekend, so my UV is back on and I am following Nev (Screwloose instructions). Here is my thread, read nevs instructions.

http://www.thesaltybox.com/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=627&start=50

I was feeding the same amount of food up to 10 times a day. Still am atm.

You have three choices really, do as Nev and I did, mine are not and have not been badly infected, keeping my hands out of the tank as much as possible. Tangs can get stress spots though and I did rearrange the corals last weekend, so not sure entirely.

The other choice is a copper based medication, DO NOT treat in the tank as Kez has already said. Use a QT / Hospital tank and teat there. Use a copper test kit and don't exceed the recommended copper level. Can be harsh on fish as copper is Toxic.

Thirdly you can use Hyposalinity, again this needs to be in a QT / Hospital tank, as corals and inverts will not stand the low sg. You then need to gradually lower the SG down to 1.009 over a fair few days and leave it there until the fish have been clear for a few days before gradually increasing the SG once again. Kinder than copper IMO.

As you have tangs, I would consider either UV or ozone or both even if just used on introduction for a few weeks. If you use ozone all the time ensure you do not add any Iodine supplements, if any ozone gets into the tank, it can convert iodine into its very usable form and the iodine level will skyrocket, this will poison half your corals and inverts and possibly fish depending on the level.

I will discuss ozone in a later section of the guide in much more detail.

4. vikkibolo

vikkibolo Registered

I tried a product called esha but because you had to take all filter media out of tank the water quality went crap and fish were stressed, and I still lost the lot. I invested in a small internal uv steriliser and touch wood seams to work. Another thing I was reccomended to do was feed garlic enriched food, DON'T know if this works or helps, but fish seam happy eating and so far so good!!!!!

5. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

Vikkibolo's point about the enriched food is covered in the link in my post.

I used New Era and garlic enhanced food. More info in the link. :--

6. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

I can't offer any more good advice than whats been offered but I will say I hope it all gets good in the end :)

7. Angiepangie

Angiepangie Registered

Thanks for the advice I do have lots of inverts so I'm guessing the uv will be the best bet and they're all hungry! I was feeding them brine shrimp and garlic and then changed to mysis but now mixing mysis brine shrimp and garlic and new era flake. Just hoping they all make it! Fingers crossed

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

The new era liposome spray is very good for frozen food too, they also do Aegis I and Aegis II flakes that are designed to be used at times of illness or when the immune system needs boosting.

There is a sequence to using them

Liposome Marine 4 weeks
    Aegis I 2 weeks
    Aegis II 2 weeks

Then repeat the sequence.

Liposome can be used routinely even if the Aegis are not.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice