1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured which salt and which led unit??

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Jul 14, 2014.

1. warby

warby Registered

As above really which salt do people recommend?(will be getting my first bucket to start making my own water this week) and iv been reading iquatics now do salt but i cant find a review of it anywhere just people saying they will review it but must have been busy or forgot to do so.....

and which led unit would you recommend? Its my birthday tomorrow so ill be putting the money i get towards a led unit ill have about £400 to spend but i want to make sure the light unit i get will cover my tank 3ft wide 2ft front to back 1.5ft deep the unit must be a tank mounted one as i cant hang it from the ceiling. There are a few iv been looking at tmc ilumiair 900, razor r420r, and the LT units on ebay(programmable ones).

he units iv looked at say will cover 3ft long tank but don't mention about front to back

sorry for the long post......and thanks in advance :)

2. conch

conch Registered

Happy Birthday for tomorrow.

I am fairly new to reefing but i'm really impressed with the tmc ilumiair 900, the light penetrates down 30 inch and i have a variety of corals. I find that the remote is hard to program and i have not been off the factory settings since i got mine 6-7 months ago.

As for salt, i use red sea coral pro. it would depend on if you need your reef foundation params higher

At first i used red sea salt which would base your MG at 410, rather than 450 with the pro.

This is only my opinion, i've only had salty fingers about 18 months.

Hope this helps, Regards Conch

3. ICEMAN80

ICEMAN80 Registered

Salt wise I use AS Reef Crystals. Mixes fast, leaves no traces/residue and has good elevated levels.
    As for led lighting look at the IT2040 full spectrum led units. Fully programmable with remote and only £200 new. Excellent build quality also and a nice smart looking unit.

4. warby

warby Registered

thanks conch :)

just re read my post and i put LT instead of IT haha.....would i need 2 of the units to cover my tank or will 1 be enough? and do you know if there are any free advertisers on here that sell them?

my lfs uses reef crystals for there pro reef mix (which is what i use at the minute) and sells it at £55 for a bucket

5. tomcookie

tomcookie Registered

I use ecotech radions and red sea salt..... used both for 3 years now and both are great!

6. Wal35

Wal35 Registered

Aquavitro Salt and AI sol LED unit and you won't regret it

7. jezzlambert

jezzlambert Registered

Instead of the it2040 which is for a 2ft tank go with the it2080 which is for a 3 x 2 tank.

I have a 2080 and had it for 12 months now and i am so impressed by it!! I keep a mixed reef and everything responds brilliantly to it! I also customised mine an took the lenses out as i have 15" deep tank therefore didnt need 90degree lenses in. Noticed a massive difference in growth after removing them

Theres a company on here (im sure there called marine farm??)that do a 2080 pro... Basically hes changed some of the whites for UV which i think is a better option especially if you want to keep SPS

I use reef crystal salt and again no issues with that... Its all about stability with reef tanks. Choose something and stick to it.
    Good luck and happy birthday!

8. jamesfirth1

jamesfirth1 Registered

Speak to Mark at ukmarinelighting UK Marine Lighting on here he sells all the IT range and also does the Pro model as well. Very good lights.

9. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

H2Ocean Pro: natural sea salt that mixes quickly; I have a mixed reef and all is happily growing.
    I have the 160w 16K Razors over my Aquareef 300 (deep tank) and they cover it fine with no dark areas....Happy Birthday BTW!

10. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

Happy Birthday

Red Sea Pro or D&D for a new set up
    The elevated levels help the corals grow
    The high Mg helps as well with new sand soaking up Mg

iT2020 look very good
    Go Pro if you can

11. warby

warby Registered

Iv got my self some red sea coral pro and it came with reef energy A+B does anyone use this? If so what is it like?

12. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

Reef crystals here.. go for a salt that mixes to how you want your alkalinity .
    I'm over the moon with a 2nd hand gen 1 radion I bought for a 3ft tank . I banged in some 120 lenses and the par covers 3ft .
    oh and happy birthday you salty lover :biggrin:

malc

13. warby

warby Registered

iv just had a thought which will make things easier for me...i work shifts 6am-2pm one week 2pm-10pm the other. could i make 100l of salt water when on earlies ( i have more spare time) use 50l for that weeks change and put the other into 2 25L containers then use that 50l for the week after when im working lates??

14. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

50l a week sounds a bit much on a 3ft tank to be changing weekly imo but I'm a fan of very little if any wc's . you doing it to dilute nutrients or another reason?

malc

15. warby

warby Registered

Normally i do about 35l (10%ish) but my nitrates where creeping up so i upped the water change. Trying to get them back down to around 5. And with me starting on the sps road didn't want nutrients to get as high as last time(100ppm nitrate). But i will be soon selling my foxface rabbitfish to reduce stock levels and go back to the 35l.

anyways back to the question what do you think about storing the water( make it on Friday water change Saturday, rest of the water left until the following Saturday) weather it be 50l or i go back to 35l

16. iostiogic

iostiogic Registered

i make up 200l at a time and store 'em so can't see a problem . I do cover mine up tho. as for nitrates creepin' up get some cheato and a decent light over it :biggrin:

17. conch

conch Registered

Warby, if you need some cheato, i can post you a big clump? Someone was supposed to pick some up on Sat but didn't show. Kind Regards, Conch.

18. warby

warby Registered

Thanks for the offers but iv got cheato in the sump and led lights that are growing the cheato rather well. Only thing i can think of is being overstocked hence the reason the foxface will be going

19. conch

conch Registered

Do you trim the cheato often and remove?

20. warby

warby Registered

Yeah cut it back every month or so....in your opinion am i over stocked.... Foxface rabbitfish, regal tang(3inches ish), cleaner wrasse, possum wrasse, midas blenny and a pair of clowns

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice