1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Which Lighting

Discussion in 'Lighting' started by candy1567, Mar 4, 2019.

1. candy1567

candy1567 Registered

Hi

Just got a 50x50cm cube tank 160 litre and need to get a lighting unit for it.

the original on that is supposed to be is 2 15w T8 tubes, but want to put LED unit in.

Is there a easy way to make sure i get enough light for the tank, ive read about lumens, watts per litre, and all inbetween and am loosing the will to live, haven't even set up the tank yet!!!!

could someone please suggest or tell me the wattage for the led strip unit i need

thanks in advance hope it makes sense

Juliex

Forgot to say this will be a FOWLR tank

2. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

HI Julie

if its a FOWLR lighting isn't really too important

3. candy1567

candy1567 Registered

thanks for the reply, ive always just had the normal tube lighting so there wasn't really any options

but all the led light strips have different wattage, so would i need 2 strips of lower wattage or 1 strip, sorry for sounding blonde

the tank had a bar across the top separating it into 2 halves so would be 2 lower wattage strips be better to get an even light source.

Ive kept tropical fish for years but think am definately reading in to marine fish to much lol

going to set it up as a FOWLR first, then most probs will all in corals down the line

4. jim_fitz

no daft questions

the light you are looking for is purely for your viewing purposes

if you just had one there would be some light loss but nothing to really worry about just keep the brace (assuming it is glass) nice and clean

choice of one or two i would say is down to budget

but if you want to go for corals in the future lps or sps ? might be worth buying something that you can use with them that is controllable and say run it at 10% until you add the corals estimates of 10 years for led lights

5. candy1567

candy1567 Registered

thanks for the reply makes sense, i did this with the tropical fish when first setting it up, read to much and totally confused myself with the equiptment, levels, testing etc, but when i actually got into it, it wasn't as bad as i thought!!!!

doing the same here, so thanks for stopping me in my tracks from tearing my hair out lol

Juliex

6. jim_fitz

plenty more chance to do that

best to get it right at the start

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice