1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

which background paint??

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by gemmabarber5, Aug 22, 2009.

1. gemmabarber5

gemmabarber5 Registered

hi everyone... im pestering again! :lol:

when we set out tank up over a yr ago we just used a light sea blue plastic backing....we have since grown wiser and noticed that the blue paint looks great and a little more tidy!! ....but where do you get the paint from? we heard that the salt can irritate some paints.

We are moving in 2-3 weeks so hope to tidy everything up in the process.

what background does everyone else have?

::::-0000

2. northernmonkey

northernmonkey Registered

Any matt paint to the colour of your choice on the outside is ok :--

3. Angiepangie

Angiepangie Registered

Hiya!

I used a spray acrylic paint from B&Q as I tried the backing paper with allsorts to make it stick and it just didnt work for me...

My advice would be make sure everything EVERYTHING is covered as I got blue stuff all over my posh new wool rug at the other end of the room!

I sprayed it before the tank had any inhabitants or even water so if your tank is stocked I think you should move them somewhere safe

But have to say Im very happy with the results !

Angie

4. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

If you are going to use background, which I have atm, you can get a bottle of "Sea View", its like an oil that sticks it to the tank and holds it there.

You use a credit card to get the air bubbles out.

5. rabbut

rabbut Registered

For plastic backings, I paint on Cooking oil, lay the background and Iron out bubbles. I then let it sit for a few hours and then it should be nice and secure, but easy to peel off later if you need to :-D

6. Kev

Kev Registered

All down to personal choice, but I have turned to liking black backgrounds lately.

7. gemmabarber5

gemmabarber5 Registered

We have plastic backing at the moment, we have tried keeping it in place both dry and wetting it with oil...but wither way it either dries out of gets water on it making noticable marks! it is very difficult correcting it due to size of tank!! i would much rather have the outside painted as we are moving the tank anyway in the house move.

We was told to choose our paint carefully as the salt in the water can sometimes make the paint chip? :shock:

8. TigerIssey

TigerIssey Registered

If you are adamant about painting, go for a Tile Paint like International etc. Designed to be painted on glass / porcelain. You are looking at £16 a tin though, and are restricted with colours. I did not like the blue, thats why I used the backing.

I have found that the sea view is much better than oil, not come off at all anywhere in 4-5 months now and no water or salt marks anywhere. The small piece on the side that I used to cover the weir, I used baby oil, that has already come off.

9. Kev

Kev Registered

I feel like a snob now, my new tank is coming with a vinyl backing glued on. I just hope there are no air bubbles in it. IF IT EVER ARRIVES - over 3 weeks now! :-0

10. JonMidReefs

JonMidReefs Registered

It's down to personal preference, but I prefer black. You eye tends to be drawn more to the colourful tank inhabitants.

I also tend to leave the back pane to cover in coraline algae/corals, so black looks better while there is partial coverage.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice