1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured When the filefish has gone...

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Wilson, Nov 21, 2012.

1. Wilson

Wilson Registered

...Will the Aiptasia reappear?

Im coming to the point where im looking to pass the filefish on as it seems to have done its job. When i remove it, will the aips return or would it have removed all of it?

Cheers.

2. Hazey

Hazey Registered

it should have eaten them all but I would not remove it for a while as any spores the aips released will generate babies. You think all of your aips are gone, you get rid of the file fish & all of a sudden small aips start reappearing.
    I am going to be getting a file fish as the 6 pepps I bought are not touching my aips

3. Diverwez

Diverwez Registered

yep all have come back in my case, and in exactly the same place like they were hiding in the rocks, a lot more stomella? snails and bristleworm are back out now since it has been gone.

4. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

Mine are back too after my filefish dissapeared over night without a trace, gonna need another soon as the aips are reproducing pretty fast,I thought the filefish had done his job aswell as I couldn't see any aips & he started picking at my zoas, so I'd hang on for a bit mate & see what happens, jay

5. Wilson

Wilson Registered

he's picking at every coral in my tank though now. I'm going to move him to my sump because I have some aips down there, so he will stay down there for a little bit until they are all gone, and by that time I should see some appearing again in the DT if they are going to come back. Then if not I will move him to the upstairs tank which has no corals for a month to make sure non return.

6. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

yep sounds like a good idea mate, goin try find one myself at weekend

7. Wilson

Wilson Registered

it has been great, just a shame that it nips the corals but I suppose it's just a natural thing for them to do when the main source of food has gone. I have really reduced the tank feeding to stop it from getting lazy and just eating the food so I suppose this will have a lot to do with it as well.

8. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

mine had I big appetite for brine shrimp near the end, but he obviously kept the aips still under control aswell cos they're back with a vengeance, only lost him about a month ago, puzzled me as the night he dissapeared all seemed fine, never found a trace of him.

9. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I think that's what I'm gonna do, once all signs of aips are gone, sump him & let him live in there then pop him back in the display tank when aips reappear

sent from S3 using tapatalk2

10. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Not too easy to catch though mate, keep darting back into the rockwork. Not much fun at the moment.

11. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

good idea chaps, think I'd do the same when I get another only thing is I'd have to get rid of the green serpent starfish I sumped months ago first,anyone want one?

12. Wilson

Wilson Registered

There goes the scape :( .... Bloody fish!

13. Wilson

Wilson Registered

14. Hazey

Hazey Registered

No way. Paul. Why not put a piece of rock in a trap full of aips... I have just the said rock lol... Then trap him

15. Wilson

Wilson Registered

I might try and find a trap tomorrow. The scape fell down when the net snagged on a rock and i pulled it too quickly. Gutted but never mind. Hopefully i should catch him tomorrow.

16. Hazey

Hazey Registered

I will have a trap in a few days as I have just bought one & am awaiting it being delivered. It's being posted today

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice