1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Whats your Mg usage ?

Discussion in 'Chemistry' started by jas, Jul 2, 2012.

1. jas

jas Registered

Hi fella's, I'm a little confused today, since for the past 6 months (since the tank was started) I've had to dose lots of Ca and Alk to maintain levels, and very, very rarely magnesium. With water changes alone Mg stayed between 1330-1380 ppm. For the past 3 days, I've been dosing 50ml doses of my Mg chloride/sulfate buffer and levels are struggling to get up above 1280 ppm. I would like Mg at previous levels.
    I am hoping the cause is a boost of coral growth, but I can't be certain, so to see whats usual with Mg dosing, please tell me how much you need to dose weekly/monthly to keepyour Mg level up. Thanks

2. bbewekim

bbewekim Registered

Usually very little as you said, when I added new rock my mag levels dropped constantly for a few weeks...same with substrate.

3. carthorse

carthorse Registered

I dose 200ml carbonate , 39ml calcium and only 10ml magnesium all fm daily and that keeps it at 1350!

4. Realist

Realist Registered

Water changes alone in my tank that's been running 6 months have held it steady tbh using RSCP. However for the first 3 months is wall over the place

5. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Same as Chris. Once my new sand & reef bone had sapped it all up I stopped dosing Mg after the tank had been running 3-4 months & now my 5% weekly water changes keeps it buffered up to 1450 where it stays.
    Ca & KH is a different issue lol

sent from S3 using tapatalk2

6. ZombieTuesday

ZombieTuesday Registered

Hardly need to touch it here, but I wonder Jas are you seeing much of an increase in coralline growth?
    (I've noticed in the few days since u started dosing iodine
    my coralline has gone a lot pinker and I'm getting more patches of it)

Doesnt coralline growth hit iodine and mag?

So maybe your iodine dosing is causing more coralline growth in turn causing more mag usage?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice