1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What's happened to my new torch?

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by Ade_S, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Brown jelly is a funny disease I've had it in the past but never spread if you see another coral covered in it simply turn all pumps off and powerheads and remove it from the tank as you don't want to risk blasting it around the tank. Once out put all pumps back on

2. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Thanks. Will watch the rest closely. Thankfully I'll be working from home tomorrow so can keep a close eye on things.

Just amazed at how quickly it took out the torch coral...

3. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Do you dip your corals before putting them in main tank although not sure if something like coral rx would prevent this?

4. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

I don't yet, but might start now...!

5. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I think the torches are hit and miss to be honest and the hammers. I have had 1 torch and 2 hammers die. I recently lost one head on my new torch which had been fine for ages and split into 2 heads. I am suspecting it may have been my new Vortech so i will move at the weekend , but the other head is looking fine now and branching hammer is starting to grow another head. I have had better success with the branching hammer.

6. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

I sip every coral regardless of where it comes from. Dip is cheap and only takes about 10 mins to do per coral.

Probably does not kill everything but some peace of mind by doing it. I also detach dos frags from there base as heard that pests can hide out in base and not get killed by dip.

7. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Well, touch wood I've seen no sign of the brown jelly spreading to my other corals, but I'm still worried about my elegance coral. It's still not extending properly:

[​IMG]

Does anyone have any suggestions for things to look for in particular? I've not seen any of the livestock hastling it (even my coral beauty angel).

Don't know if it's significant but I've recently started getting a little green algae growing in the sand near the elegance.

Cheers
    Ade

8. warby

warby Registered

How long has it been like that? And where did the elegance come from I. E. Australia or Indonesia?

The body of it looks really puffed up and the tentacles look really shrivelled. I'm going to take a guess and say it's got elegance coral disease which is morw common these days due to how they are collected. The aussie ones have the best survival rate past 12months the Indo ones are collected from deeper muckier waters and find it hard to adapt to tank life ........mine is going on 2 years old now and is huge.

9. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

I've had it about a month. Was fine for the first couple of weeks but started doing this about a fortnight ago. Not sure where it's from - I didn't think to ask, to be honest.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice