1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What's happened to my new torch?

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by Ade_S, Dec 9, 2015.

1. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Hi all. Just picked up a new torch coral on Sunday, along with another couple of corals.

One of the heads has been extending nicely but the other had stayed retracted. I assumed it was just sulking after its transfer to my tank, but I've come home tonight and it looks to have pretty much disappeared:

[​IMG]

The rest of my corals seem OK, though the elegance is a bit retracted - hard to know if that's normal or not as I've only had it about 3 weeks.

[​IMG]

I've not had chance to test the water yet. Will do shortly. My Seneye hasn't alerted me to anything unusual so NH3 and pH should be OK at the very least.

Any ideas? I've seen no evidence of any of the livestock worrying it either.

Cheers,
    Ade

2. merser

merser Registered

You've Defo lost that one head. Could be a few things really. Flow always wipes heads off mine if I position them badly. Could it be that?

3. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

That's possible. It's not directly in the flow but isn't too far from the underside of one of my powerheads so does get some flow from the water being pulled into the back of the pump:

[​IMG]

I could certainly move it to a more sheltered part of the tank as it's not fixed on place yet - still acclimating.

4. merser

merser Registered

I keep mine in the slowest flow areas of the tank where I can. Quite a challenge when trying to keep fast moving water for sps as well!

5. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Agree with flow as had a torch in a high flow and tentacles were not extended but moved to a lower flow area and now looks happy and great :)

6. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Thanks. Have moved it and tweaked the angle of my powerheads. The remaining head is still being moved a little by the flow but doesn't look too strong.

Parameters seem OK, I think:

pH 8.6 (according to test kit but Seneye says 8.2)
    NH3 0.0
    NO2 0.0
    NO3 0.0
    PO4 0.1
    KH 7.8 (a little low?)
    Ca 430
    Mg 1380 (test kit out of date so maybe inaccurate)
    Salinity 35 ppm
    Temp 26.2C

I guess I'll just have to see how it goes in the new location, unless anyone can see anything wrong with my parameters.

Cheers,
    Ade

7. Martyh

Martyh Registered

KH needs to be around 9.3 ish to be in balance with calcium at 430 other then that looks fine :)

8. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Thanks. Is there a formula / chart to find that ratio, or have you memorised it all?

9. Martyh

Martyh Registered

There is one ill PM you it :)

But as I run around that in calcium I know what the balance is :)

10. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Cheers!

11. John362

John362 Registered

+1 for locating in low flow area

12. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Sadly, despite it being in a pretty low flow part of the tank now (to be honest I don't think it was in very high flow before) the other head had now gone the same way:

[​IMG]

13. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Any signs of a brown jelly on the head ?

14. city1111

city1111 Registered

I moved my torch to lower flow when the heads started to go, but even in lower flow the other heads went in time, apparently they can be a bit hit and miss, nice hammer is easier lol

15. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Phosphate is high at 0.1 as ideal seems to be below 0.03. Torch could be used to lower phosphate and move has shocked it but just guessing.

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Torch, hammer and frogspawn are all from same family.

Might be worth getting phosphate to 0.03 and nitrate to below 5 and getting another torch frag or hammer and see how it goes.

17. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

Cheers. I do have a reactor with bio-pearls which has reduced phosphate from 0.25 to about 0.1(had to guess as the test kit only goes down to 0.25) and eliminated nitrate completely.

The heads do seem to have completely disintegrated into a reddish-brown jelly. It's happened very quickly - as you can see in the photos, one head was fully extended and looking completely normal this time yesterday evening...

18. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

OK. Have done some Google Images searches and it certainly looks like brown jelly disease.

I've pulled out or as carefully as possible and chucked the remains in the bin. There are/were no other corals particularly close to it but is there anything I should do to make sure the rest of my corals are OK (as I said, all look normal at the moment, apart from my elegance which is a little more closed than usual - could be due to me reducing light intensity to 50% while the new corals get used to the tank? )

19. Martyh

Martyh Registered

Only thing you can do is keep an eye on things

20. Ade_S

Ade_S Registered

That's what I was thinking. Want sure whether there's any treatment / preventative dip I could put my corals in. It's a new tank and most can be removed if necessary.

Worryingly, I think I can see a little on my elegance coral after a closer look. Have tried lifting it out into a jug of tank water and blasting it with a turkey baster to remove anything loose but not much of anything came off.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice