1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Whats Going On?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by les, Apr 30, 2018.

1. jazz

jazz Registered

Firstly allow me to express my sympathy to you and your family for your loss.

I assume the quoted comment is aimed at me? If so I apologise. All I was trying to do is to put together an example. I could have easily mentioned a number of successful sites where the owner drives it from the top via team and not just reef sites. The one I mentioned happens to be a UK based one, which your members are also probably members of, or are familiar with, so hardly a 'member grab'.

I use a number of sites in the UK, Europe and the US and therefore lament the loss of any site which has as valuable information on it's database, we, however experienced we think we are, can always learn by accessing information from multiple sources (reefkeeping is rarely just a black or white option). I do contribute to a discussion if I feel my replies can 'add-value' - I thought my reply on this thread did that and judging by the 'likes' posted by other members they did too. Looking at threads which have been posted on SB recently (mostly sales threads and a couple of 'hello I'm new' ones') I felt could not meaningfully add value to them therefore I didn't post. Currently, Brent, I cannot see any value in posting questions as they have little chance of getting a reasonable cross section of opinions. ​

I feel I have contributed to this thread in a helpful and non-confrontational way. I hope you found the contribution, although maybe not the reference to another site, useful, which will maybe give you something to consider when taking SB forward.

I would like SB to thrive and sincerely hope it does, all sources of information are valuable.

2. Brent W

Brent W Admin Staff Member

It was not aimed at you.

3. jazz

jazz Registered

I that case I again apologise for making an incorrect assumption.

I do however hope my contribution on this thread is helpful.

4. correct, it was myself it was aimed at on a now deleted post

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2018
  5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Very helpful, constructive and much appreciated.

6. les

les Registered

Question.
    Why are some .com forums healthier than others?
    Well, we can all speculate, the emphasis shifting to Facebook, lack of activity, lack of creative thinking and lack of input by both members and owners are just some of the reasons put forward, there are others of course. Google has the answers to questions ...sometimes as it can be dangerous as well as helpful of course.
    As with most hobbies people come and go to it and I am one of them. In my 37 years reefkeeping I have had many reef tanks and for one reason or another I have broken them down but I have always returned and have never been without a tank for any length of time perhaps a year or so being the longest. There will always be a turnover of members but how do you encourage new members and existing members to stay that is the question I pose here. I have added my ideas to admin and if anybody has suggestions then please share them along with constructive criticism of course.

doug_amanda likes this.
  7. reefloat

reefloat Registered

unfortunately the necessity to raise this issue once again arises - no input from the owner and has not visited the site for a fortnight so its hardly surprising little enthusiasm from members, brent cannot even be bothered to answer his messages even when he does decide to grace us with his presence - in the short time the facebook side of saltybox has been reinstated it far exceeds the forum for input and it would appear nearly all are members of the forum already, the lack of postings here by what is left of the advertisers speaks volumes, without owner interest the forum will be no more despite effort put in by admin (sorry guys) whom have done their best with little or no backup.
    why am I posting this? because I really wanted the forum to survive and even come back to a semblance of its earlier days, its not happening is it!

Last edited: Oct 12, 2018
    les likes this.
  8. les

les Registered

No it's not Gordon and I never got a reply to my last PM to the owner giving ideas of what kind of things could be done. You only have to take a look at a very successful forum Reef2Reef to see how a forum can and should be run successfully. Nobody is saying it's easy but I don't see the owners doing much at all to turn things round.

reefloat likes this.
  9. jazz

jazz Registered

Ah well we tried:( I feel for the team on here but without a huge amount of work this forum will continue to languish in the pit.
    Please Brent if you have decided the forum is beyond saving offer the DB to other forums so at least all the valuable information can be made available and not just wiped.

reefloat likes this.
  10. Landshark

Landshark Registered

Have to admit after 4 years away i am disappointed by the lack of activity on the forums. Facebook seem to be crawling with people albeit although the majority is the same daft questions.

The US sites are always going to be more successful just because there are more people in the hobby, however we should be able to get 50 people who can post daily

11. Santa Monica

Santa Monica Registered

Forums are always better than FB because it's easier to search and categorize.

12. les

les Registered

But only if the owners show genuine interest, have input and members post or it's a case of dead in the water.

reefloat likes this.
  13. Landshark

Landshark Registered

I know im fed up of the
    "My tank is full of algae but my water is perfect"
    posts on Facebook lol

jim_fitz and McPikie like this.
  14. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

My waters no where near perfect but I have no algae - should I change it to join the rest of the gang ??

Landshark likes this.
  15. MaRiNe_MaDnEsS

MaRiNe_MaDnEsS Registered

What happened to Chris Durkin?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A6003 using Tapatalk

16. reefloat

reefloat Registered

sold out many moons ago, changed hands twice since then

17. Landshark

Landshark Registered

I have always tried to help people but fb just seems full of people who want to be given answers rather than atleast try and find the answer

18. jazz

jazz Registered

FB is a place where you go to get confirmation of whatever you are doing is right. Someone on there is bound to already kept an adult queen angel and 2 PBT in a nano with loads of acros so you must be right and everyone on TSB is wrong:rolleyes:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice