1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Whats Going On?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by les, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Santa Monica

Santa Monica Registered

I'll help promote it.

2. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I rarely come on these days really, just to update my tank thread and have a quick mooch round, mainly because, as said, there arent many posts to catch up with.

However, I still do my fair share of promoting by putting #thesaltybox on all my marine based instagram posts. May I suggest everyone else who uses insta does the same?

reefloat-dot-com likes this.
  3. Brent W

Brent W Admin Staff Member

You have three posts on this entire site and they are all in this thread. Can you please let me know what you would like me to do to help you contribute to this site more? I don't mind taking heat for not putting time into this site but do you think its fair for that lecture to be coming from people who also have not done this?

4. obviously you are not familiar with myself and history with the forum and have supported it in many ways including donations and prizes for comps - check again under reefloat as opposed to reefloat dot com and then you can decide if my input is valid - first thing that needs to happen is communication, it appears this may now be getting somewhere but needs to continue

McPikie likes this.
  5. Brent W

I am not and thanks for the info. I am happy to take suggestions. Specifically, what can I do to help?

6. that has caught me unawares and simple answer is I do not have an answer, however - if the members have your backing then things can improve, the discussion needs to progress further alongside members, admin, moderators, future moderators and advertisers

hotashes likes this.
  7. Realist

Realist Registered

Round and round the mulberry bush we go.

Brent this forum has a massive gathering and needs promoting not left by the way side.

Come on post up your plans, ideas etc put some positive spin on it and that will encourage people to have faith in you and Rex.

8. Brent W

No need for sarcasm.

You ran this for so long, what ideas did you have that never got implemented? What did the community want from you that never was put into place?

9. ok - suggestion..... past is past and lets look forward, Brent can you reinstate reefloat for me, appears its still active but cannot sign into it even using the forgot password method (believe doug amanda may have contacted you on this)
    also, whats the arrangement currently with advertiser/sponsors

10. McPikie

McPikie Registered

He ran it for about 3 weeks, ###### loads of people off, deleted admins etc and basically killed the site. But as has been said, the past is the past. We don't need moderators etc, we need content. Site content and traffic. Traffic is only going to come through advertising or word of mouth.

I think the common consensus is there has been no input or improvement since you bought the site, bar a few skin changes, so people are wondering how we are going to get it up and running like it used to be.

11. Realist

Realist Registered

Admins I removed due to me sorting out permissions and it was not intentional and after I got slated I decided to keep the staff list small but the same old crap started all over again.

Don't please bring up old news its not needed or called for and all members here want to see SB grow and this can only be done with input from its community its members.

Best wishes but PLEASE Brent put some ideas together for members to see you have the forums future at heart and the idea of making it a world wide reef forum, but it is mainly for the UK market.

12. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Busiest thread by miles

13. Realist

Realist Registered

Maybe and still it does not get members to post suggestions, ideas, comments etc to get SB growing.

Anyway, I wish SB and it’s members and staff all the best for its future, I’ve had my say, a few daggers in my back and some un called for comments but at the end of the day it’s a community of like minded members whom are her for the love of marine fish.

I don’t have any gear now and So I’ll no longer participate here but I do want to see SB be a well maintained, community focused driven forum and that can only be achieved with its members help and input, and without that what the use of the forum continuing.

Wishes all.

14. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Suggestions have been posted and some have been good ones,
    Bottom line is Nothing ever changes
    I try to respond to most posts where possible and log in two or three times a day if for no other reason than approve any for sale threads in a timely manner and remove any scam posts but even they’ve given up.
    What happened with les ? He was having to get a code every 30 days in order to log in and it seemed he was the only one, did he get any help,, I’ve no idea.
    More recently What’s happening with Reefloat? Again no idea,
    Admin isn’t communicating with moderators and as such moderators aren’t able to communicate with members on any possible changes or ideas and we’ve certainly been kept in the dark regarding any future plans for the forum.

On a personal note I’ve had a lot of enjoyment out of this forum and just as importantly it and it’s members have taught me how to keep my reef happy and healthy and made it an enjoyable hobby which is the reason I’m hanging in there but if things don’t improve soon I’ll be picking up my ball and moving on elsewhere. The words flogging and dead horse spring to mind.

reefloat-dot-com and McPikie like this.
  15. McPikie

McPikie Registered

Les is probably too busy writing his next thesis on how having ceramic plates hung close to his tank increases his Ph

doug_amanda likes this.
  16. jazz

jazz Registered

Let's be honest here, whatever Brent puts together there is no quick fix, no magic bullet that will get people posting and the only way to kick start SB is for its members to post. SB lost a fair percentage of it's heavily posting members a while back and so far no group has replaced them, therefore a priority needs to be replacing them. Look at UR, for example, they have a core of heavy posters, a number of them form the help team on there, their job is to focus on questions and make sure they are answered with good sound advice. This encourages other members to get involved, gives people confidence to ask the 'silly' question knowing they won't get slated- even the Tang Police are much more tolerant and measured in their responses these days. The UR moderators jump on any slating, even if it's called 'merry banter', to a newbie it isn't- it's bullying and they will vote with their feet and go elsewhere.
    Whatever happens SB will need a lot of work, it will need a core of posters to get the snowball rolling and once it does, keep it going in the right direction. I don't know what Brent's background is but I suspect it isn't reefkeeping (sorry if I am wrong), he needs to look at SB, get a team together and work with them, encourage them to post, maybe buy/bring in some content from elsewhere (does he own other fishkeeping sites, maybe some content from them?)
    The recovery will have to come from the top, which IMO means Brent needs to be 'hands on' driving up the post count via his team. It will take time and work.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2018
  17. penzo

penzo Registered

I would like to know why he bought this forum its been nearly a year and only 27 posts,dosent seem to have a interest in it what so ever,surley he would be on more trying to get it back to what it was.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2018
  18. Brent W

My Grandmother passed away and my last one is on her way out.

In the meantime, in the days I have been gone, you have created exactly 0 content on this forum that doesn't involve either me or pointing other people to another site.

Do you need me to hold your hand and show you how to create interesting content that others might find interesting or do you just want to complain?

We bought this forum to make sure that it stayed available to everyone here to use. People log in and ask questions and create content daily and you have responded to literally none of these people.

So for someone that so desperately wants to see this forum succeed, you sure have a funny way of showing it.

19. nice one! yes i do want it to succeed but do you? cannot understand why you would not but your actions or lack of them show otherwise.
    dont wish this to end up a slanging contest but you have failed to reply to pm's in the past and that is hardly a route that will take us back to a successful forum, visitors and posts are diminishing by the day so why would anyone join? I sympathise with your loss truly but this started long ago, its 1 year now since you took over the forum at a time when its demise was a high probability, unfortunately it looks even more likely now - shows us I am wrong and I will apologise

hotashes likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice