1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Whats Going On?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by les, Apr 30, 2018.

1. Jasandjules

Jasandjules Registered

Yup as above, you can grow this site without input from the owners. But it will take effort - ask shops to advertise the site so newbies have somewhere to come for questions and help (unbiased answers)... Then they (well some) will hang about and help other newbies etc.

But it is finding the new people that is the challenge.

To be frank I think facebook has harmed a lot of forums like this too as much of what used to be on sites like this is now on there. Perhaps try to target some of that traffic too?

2. have tried to communicate with the owner - no responce - would appear to be a pointless exercise

3. Realist

Realist Registered

Your original account is still active I never deleted or removed it Gordon.

Regarding contacting the owners you have a better chance of winning the lottery 10 times and replace Trump as president of Turkey.

4. Realist

Realist Registered

Rex I had my ups and downs with past admins, staff of this forum but my sole purpose was and still is to see SB grow. If your not willing to put something into this UK forum them sell it back to a UK owner.

Or create a UK based admin that’s willing to aid the Forums growth.

5. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

That is a very sensible idea and probably the best suggestion to date,,

6. tlo

tlo Registered

This is not sour grapes but i i posted in the who are you forum got one reply (i know that sounds bad but i do not mean it that way sorry) and posted a question i really need help with and in the end answered it my self . I was a member before with a different email address and couldn't remember my log in details and then it seemed a lot busier

7. doug_amanda

How strange, I was sure I’d written a reply in the welcome section,, I usually do, (apologies must be getting old) anyway I have rectified that now. We do still get a reasonable amount of registered members logging in each day, granted nothing like it used to be but it takes no time at all hardly to welcome a new member or a returning member to the forum, maybe just a little thing but I’m sure it would help in re-vitalising the forum.
    As far as your cyno question, there’s plenty of opinions on what causes it but not a great deal of definitive proof so a difficult one to answer correctly.

8. tlo

tlo Registered

I am sorry the way that came out i was merely trying to point out how imo this forum like a lot of others is not as busy as it used to be for various reasons, thank you for the help with the cyno i think i have found the prob but that is for another thread

9. do you have a direct contact email for the current owner

10. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

not been able to find one

11. doug_amanda

If you go right to the bottom of any of the forum pages There’s a contact us tab, maybe that will work.

12. Realist

Realist Registered

I'll see if I have one and reply back.

13. Realist

Realist Registered

Try: whippmedia AT gmail DOT com

I was dealing with Rex.

14. les

les Registered

One thing the owners could do is do away with the fact I have to get a code every 30 years sent to my email address that I have to put in to log in. It's a right pain and completely unnecessary IMO

15. Brent W

Brent W Admin Staff Member

This works.

Are you using Tapatalk?

To everyone else, we have no abandoned this site.
    We still plan to grow it but do not want it to be for just those in the UK. We have no issue with having someone step up that is from the UK to keep promoting the site there though.

16. les

les Registered

No, and had no issues before.

Evidence so far for the last year would suggest otherwise.

It never was just for the UK.

The planning part is taken a lot longer than many other sites, whats holding you back and what have you done so far with it?

Fact is the owners bought this site and appear to have done little since acquiring it. I started this thread over 15 months ago and you have only just seen fit to reply to it. What kind of message do you think that sends out to the membership? They say actions speak louder than words but we have had neither in over a year. That may sound harsh but the facts speak for themselves. Time to do something or sell the site on to somebody who is willing to invest time into this once great site rather than let it rot.

Just my views based on what I have seen to date and the lack of any evidence of any real positive action by the owners.

reefloat-dot-com likes this.
  17. Realist

Realist Registered

Although I have no marine related gear any more I'm still passionate about seeing SB grow and mature and I would hate to see it go to the grave yard.

I'm willing to help SB as much as I can time permitting I don't want to loose this place its my home from home.

18. there is nothing to show this is the case, a lack of responce to posts and pm's shows otherwise, it appears it was taken on without forethought and as mentioned should be moved on to an owner that would at the very least monitor the site - @Realist took on the site from the original founder as was greatly critisized for actions he then took (myself included) but in hindsight it was in better hands than it is now its just unfortunate it was sold to an overseas buyer that lacks interest and commitment.
    We are all aware facebook groups have not done the forums any favours and thats how things are but other forums like UR and a few others are hanging in there, this group will not be one of them if it continues on its present course
    TO THE PRESENT OWNER(S) - offer the forum up for sale here on this thread and let the members decide where to take it from there

Realist and hotashes like this.
  19. les

les Registered

Brian, I need to speak to you as I have something of interest but note you don't accept PMs on here at the mo. Cheers Les.

20. Realist

Realist Registered

Sorry Les I forgot I turned that off :(

Try now :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice