1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

What would burrow into a softie?

Discussion in 'Coral Information and Help' started by Recuda, Mar 17, 2011.

1. Recuda

Recuda Registered

Hi

One of my large softies detached from the live rock, investigating this i noticed a hole inside the softie full of sediment. I cleaned it out with a baster cleaned up the coral and have put in on live rock.

This softie has always been a very sulky coral could this burrowing be the cause? and what might have caused the burrowing? the hole was about 4-5mm in diameter.

Cheers, Martin

2. Recuda

Recuda Registered

Could this be a bristleworm? I have had some big uns, but recently they all seem to have disappeared, no idea why! The only tank additions are peppermint shrimps, black leopard wrasse and a peacock wrasse.

3. Ged

Ged Registered

I have had loads of bristleworms and no damage to any of the huge amount of toadstools I have had over time.

They are supposedly good CUC and will increase or decrease themselves depending on the amount of food available to them.

4. Recuda

Recuda Registered

I only get rid of the big bristleworms 5" upwards i keep the small ones, but recently i have noticed a serious decline in numbers i used to have loads. I havent changed feeding habits, they just seem to have disappeared.

What else would burrow into the softie its only 4-5mm in dia and from what i could tell about 30mm long?

5. Venom181

Venom181 Registered

i have heard of a parasite (unfortunately i do not know which it is) that burrows into a coral and lives there killing the coral over time. i thought i had one as one of my corals have detached itself and am just putting up a thread for help re-attatching it lol
    as soon as it came away from the rock i used a coral disinfectant dip and it seems a little better as had been sulking for weeks.

6. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

might of been stung by a lps

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice