1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

What Kind Of Paint For Aquarium?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by FmJames, Jun 21, 2018.

1. FmJames

FmJames Fish Health Advisor

Hi all

I wanted to pain the back of my aquarium glass with black paint. Reading online it seems some people are using acrylic based paint or ceramic paint on Americans forums.

when i search for acrylic paint I only seem to find artist colouring paint which is expensive and only for little tiny amount. When i search for ceramic paint, it seem to be mainly masonry paint or metal paint.

I really have no clue what to buy. I really want something that's safe and water based not oil if possible because i want it to dry fast.

i would appreciate any help

thank you

2. mgb2010

mgb2010 Registered

Clean glass with car break cleaner, mask off and spray with car spray paint. No primer or lacquered need. 2 - 3 thin coats. Don’t put it on heavy or it will run.

3. preecy

preecy Registered

Most people just purchase a sheet of self adhesive vinyl and apply it to the outer side of the rear panel. Cost is minimal, there's no chance of harmful toxins and if you decide you don't like it, you just peel it off.

4. jonbenboxer

jonbenboxer Registered

Home bargains do acrylic paint in tubes very good and cheap I used it on my 500 ltr

5. FmJames

Hi

thanks for that, could you please give me the link to the exact pain you used or bought please?

that would help so much.

thanks

6. FmJames

Unfortunately I cant use spray paint as the tank is up against the wall, I am going to drain the tank but I cant remove the sump to remove the cabinet. Its quite risky moving it with the sump as its so heavy.

the problem with vinyl is that I wont be able to get the bubbles out as I cant move the tank much away from the wall, Reaching around the back is going to be difficult, its a corner tank. l am assuming vinyl is easier to apply that screen protectors for laptops and phones because those are nightmare with bubbles.

Thanks

7. jonbenboxer

jonbenboxer Registered

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice