1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What Equipment To Use In A Reef Tank

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by phil hunter, Jul 8, 2018.

1. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

I haven't tested anything yet my display tank has a weir so thought I'd have to fill it near the top ( it's only half full at present ) for the water to be able to return through the weird via gravity to the sump . i didnt want to fill it completely until live rocks been added as the level will rise as I add the live rock anyhow so didn't want to overfill it . how long roughly does a tank take to cycle ?

2. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

I have a titanium heater but not sure it will be enough to heat everything so may have to add another . I have an auto top up to install with a kalk stirrer but no UV sterilizer as I was told they kill good bacteria as well as bad . I have bio balls a phosphate reactor and bio pellet reactor in the sump and TMC illuminator 900 lights

3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

with the introduction of a good quality live rock it really depends if it has been cured or not
    you will get a lot of die off with freshly imported rock as it travels damp as that is cheaper
    this will then take longer to cycle
    but please be patient here as if you suffer from rushing you may become despondant
    personally i would fill the tank and get it up to temperature as the bacteria will not like cold water
    and just remove some water as you add the rock
    i think the second heater option is a good idea as if one fails you automatically have a back up
    you may not need the bio balls and bio pellets (my preferred option) dependant upon stocking levels and will only be competing with the live rock anyway

4. Staypuft

Staypuft Registered

As someone who has become despondent in the past for the reasons mentioned by jim_fitz, I'm now a firm believer in waiting and the KIS approach - Keep It Simple!
    Don't panic about exact timings for cycling, just test regularly (water quality, temp and salinity at least) and expect months to get rid of some potential new tank un-welcomes like cyano bacteria, hair algae and diatoms - sometimes you don't get these if the cycling goes well, or they go quickly, but expect them and bear in mind they are more of a pain to deal with if you have stocked your tank when they arrive in there.

hotashes likes this.
  5. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

thanks for all the advice given I'm hoping to pick up the live rock this weekend so then it's a waiting game I suppose I can then fill the tank up and get everything running

6. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

would coral dipping the live rock be helpful before it enters the tank to kill off any unwanted nasties?

7. Staypuft

Staypuft Registered

You could I would suggest not dipping the rock - but that's my opinion, hopefully, someone else will have tried it and can advise better. I haven't tried it but I would think you could easily kill off any good stuff too.
    I have had unwanted nasties on rock before but you can always net them out while you are cycling the tank and you will see some interesting good stuff on the rock too, if it hasn't been sat dry or in fresh water for too long. It's the big nasties to watch for - big non-coral friendly crabs, mantis shrimps. The list goes on but generally you can trap or catch most.

doug_amanda likes this.
  8. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

agree with the above, I wouldn’t dip it either:)

9. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

the live rock is still in a running tank and I'm picking up tomorrow so should be full of life would i be ok using the salt water its transported in or would you avoid doing this

10. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Personally I wouldn’t, by the time you’ve used it to transport the rock it’s going to be fairly grubby.

Staypuft likes this.
  11. Staypuft

Staypuft Registered

Make sure your temp is right in your tank too as you will definitely have good stuff on used live rock and you want to keep that. As jim_fitz said above,

12. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

great advice and much appreciated

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice