1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What and why?

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by liam0, Nov 23, 2012.

1. liam0

liam0 Registered

After reading young Neville's recent good news about a job I figured I'd ask the rest. What do you do and why? Family business? Boyhood dream? Decision you made when you left school?

I started by taking my younger brother to football and got to know the manager then he asked me to help out and it went from there. Got my qualifications and got work pretty swift. Before that I managed a betting shop, built film/programme sets and done a bit of labouring. Now you go...........

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I am unemployed and not enjoying it :(

3. liam0

liam0 Registered

It's a bit scarce at the mo dude, what is it you normally do? Apart from awesome videos?

4. Neil

Neil Registered

plumber / heating engineer been doing it far to long as two older brothers and my dad are in the trade and I was going out with them working at 13 did my first full heating system on my own two weeks after starting work at 4 weeks before my 16th birthday

been doing it since then the only break from it was two years when I was teaching level 2/3 and gas

but need to get out of it now as my body is feeling old but what else to do to earn the same money for at lest the next 9 years

5. liam0

liam0 Registered

That's fair dude, you've put in a decent innings like! My body is feeling it already and I'm only 6 years in! Suppose that's what haemophilia does to your body! Are you looking elsewhere?

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Back office financial IT as such, but loads of bits including testing, some development, Project management (but not Prince2 certified), risk / sas70, cost cutting, client / internal change management, process management / automation and loads more so basically a bit of everything.

But not restricted to that. Had a chat with Dave last night as he has some openings so need to consider all options .

7. liam0

liam0 Registered

I have no idea what any of that means. What's a 'Dave'? You haven't been back in the country long mate so maybe just a matter of time? You going to venture in to the labour world?

8. tomtucker

tomtucker Registered

had lots of jobs, started out as a chef two years in had to spend time at a butchers to learn meat and stayed with them till i was twenty one, long hours and [email protected]@t pay left and went to sheet metal ass in engineering company,made redundant at 25, then went in to recycled plastic then recycled wood now at 37 left and went and passed my PSV and worked as bus driver for 4 years and then taix driver for 2 years, had to stop driving due to knee injury now need a job, going to ring around bus companies monday, did not want to go back to driving but needs must,

9. Neil

Neil Registered

I was hopping to take a side ways step last year but that did come of with the rescission I have been with the same company now for 6 years and gone from mainly doing heating install / servicing to now mainly fitting fires, fire places and it hard work

the side ways step was going back to the company that I worked for before doing the teaching and mainly doing subcontract heating install for BG but they are not even getting that work

as for the future not 100% at the moment but its hard to find a job that pays 30k a year that you dont have any training for

10. liam0

liam0 Registered

From what I remember of Flares maybe a dancing career?

Teaching in a college for gas based professions maybe?

11. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

Bin man, best job in the world!

really enjoy being out and about, meet folk everyday, its a laugh, you find some good stuff haha gold ring i cashed in for £50, 4 x lcd tvs in the last five weeks, shed loads of stuff people are so wasteful! I sell it on Ebay! Pays sh*t but everything else makes up for it, good pension, job & finish (& still paid for the rest of the day), not exactly hard work & i get plenty of holidays!

And to think i started college studying Bio chemistry............

12. liam0

liam0 Registered

Rubbish that. :happy0065:

Sorry.

13. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

PMSL ill give you that one Liam! :clap:

14. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Lol, it's all kind of common sense stuff to be honest.
    Possibly on the labouring part - Not sure if it's for me so need to have a damned good think. Don't want to waste Dave's time either.

15. zoney

zoney Registered

Delivery driver for a well known pay weekly store a days work varies from easy to hell in a few hours with sofas that dont fit through doors to 100kg + fridge freezers up 3 flights of stairs :( I have been in the job for 2 years now and its really starting to take it out on the back shoulders and arms but still beats the crazy hours i did for 7 years on the recovery trucks but not as much fun

16. ICEMAN80

ICEMAN80 Registered

Self employed electrical engineer and sub contractor or as commonly known "a spark" lol

Done my apprenticeship many moons ago and have been fully qualified for the past 12 years. For some stupid reason even though work is scarce at the mo I keep forking out on extra courses (which the missus aint happy with). In the past year I've done the 17th edition regs (absolute doddle), PAT testing course (even a retard could do it) and have just re applied to renew my ECS/jib card.
    Like I said the missus ain't too happy so I better not tell her I'm back at college in January doing my 2392 course! Lol

If anyone want any electrical work doing (properly) I can do reefers rates! Lol

I also teach freestyle martial arts, kickboxing and all that fancy stuff you are in the UFC. Currently an instructor for the Satori freestyle martial arts and kickboxing academy.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2012
  17. Aaron

Aaron Photography pimp

Staff Nurse, as for why?... I ask myself that most days. :lol:

18. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Chippy me from school, went into a yts scheme followed by an aprenticeship at a joiner/shopfitters.
    got city & guilds then got made redundant!
    fell into another chippy job on the bench and that went the same way,,
    after a few more similar jobs and all ending the same way decided to go self employed with it, and after 10 years off building it up am knackered...
    i'm joking, at least i can only answer to myself!!

19. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Well you all know what I do. But Why?

I had work experience at my local sealife when I was 14, and loved it. Got a job that summer as a member of talks staff. I was lucky, back then you could get a job with a small amount of experience and if you had a degree then great. Nowadays there are some many graduates and no more zoos/aquariua you need at least 12 months volunteer experience and a degree to stand a chance.

Carried on at the Sealife in between school, degree and masters degree.

Had some time away from it whilst working as a fish health inspector but then went back into public aquaria 5 years ago.

20. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Started work after leaving college aged 19 for my local authority as a porter/security officer. Aged 21 I got offered a job in the mayoral office working as the Mayorals attendant (skivvy) I left that job aged 25 to work for ADT in their technical department as a computer engineer. I worked my way up the ladder to managed the department but I ended up doing more & more work at home & at weekends & was getting stressed with the workload & hassle so I decided to go back into my old job for Bolton council back in 2005 were I still am. It's not hard, the only downside are my hours are all over the place at times. On the plus side, I get fed well hence my ever increasing waste line & I drive a lovely top of the range Jag which Mr D has seen & been in :whistling:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice