1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What algae?

Discussion in 'I.D Section' started by dg98, Sep 5, 2014.

1. Eyore

Eyore Guest

hmmm

still that little bit out of focus, but from what i see i am maybe 90% dinoflaggelates

do any of my clues fit the bill? esp bubbles leaving the sand and rock regular (say almost one somewhere in the tank at all times during photo period)?

give me a run down of your tank- you say new? to a lot this would include transfering their stock inc live rock sand and somd water into an upgrade? define new

what is your lighting and photo period?

stock do you have? inc coral and fish

2. dg98

dg98 Registered

Ok always got bubbles leaving mainly rock most times esp at end 3hrs of light cycle . My filter floss always full of mircobubbles. I have to say to be honest this has been the case since I started before algae arrived but never had bubbles on sand bed tho until now.

My tank started in may and crashed mid July due to power outage, lost all apart from corals and 2 nass snails. Tank cycled again was cycled by early Aug.
    At mo got 1 conch, 2 trochus , 2 nass , 1 turbo snails. Also have clown, emerald crab, peppermint and cleaner shrimp. All ok, although nass snails gone awol for a while one popped up a few days ago. However no ammonia or nitrite spike.

I use instant ocean salt I mix myself use ro from lfs have tested twice readings all good no nitrates.

I dose sodium bicarbonate in ato, I dose brightwell calcium and mag every other day.

My levels today
    Ammonia =0
    Nitrite=0
    Nitrates=5-10
    (Was 10ppm so is reducing slowly)
    Alk = 9.3
    Calcium=420
    Mag=1390
    (Usually stays stable with dosing)
    Ph 8
    Salinity=1.025
    Phosphate = 0.00-0.02
    (Has reduced in week from 0.04)

Also I have reduced lighting from 10hrs to 8hrs including hour each end of cycle with blues.
    Using marinereef quad spec led tile

I feed clown every other day by hand and sprinkle a very tiny ammount for shrimp.

Must my lfs was convinced it was a diatoms bloom said can have bubbles in it too and look slimy at times.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2014
  3. dg98

dg98 Registered

One more try on photos :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. Eyore

Eyore Guest

ft your last pic, i would say i am 99% dinos now.
    i do not say i am 100% correct on everything 100% of thd time though
    stick to instant ocean- its synthetic, you want to avoid natural ie red sea

what colours are in your led (i assume violet red blue white)

my advice would be to drop white light to 4 hours a day, blue ok at 12, no red or violet

i dong think you can achieve that though?

5. dg98

dg98 Registered

Thanks again, just a few more thing will taking these measures manage dinos or possibly get rid , when should you do a black out? Will it damage livestock? How long? Is it a complete black out or just no lights?
    Just concerned about tank temp completely covering tank.
    As I am kind of thinking is it better to take action now if it will not damage corals then take chance of them getting worse.

6. Eyore

Eyore Guest

ime lps will survive a ten day blackout easy as will easy sps, regarding acropora i reckon 6 days
    anemones walk around, i wont keep them so cant comment

what is your stock?

blackout is all light, no daylight whatsover

i don't reccomend though

removing red violet and most of the white for a good 4-6 weeks, then slowly bringing white back up by an hour a week (prociding dinos are gone)
    stop any natural light hitting the tank

weekly syphoning of rock (not basting) replacing with fresh. leave the sand unless its bad, dont disturb the sand regardless

dose something like fm ultra bio as reccomended to out compete, along with steady use of kz coral snow to aid reducing orgsnics from the tank

normal steady use of gfo and gac

This is what i would reccomend, and is what i did last time i had this issue (with a little help and advice (we all have to learn from somebody)

7. dg98

dg98 Registered

You are right got both cyanobacteria and dinos. Been to lfs had microscope just took in sample a small charge.
    There advice to try easy life excital, they said should sort out cyanobacteria and some customers have said has also got rid of dinos. Lfs said it was worth a try first only takes 5-10days.

8. Eyore

Eyore Guest

shame i been proved right, mind as about my first post as a mod at least i dont look an idiot lol

the cyano- tbh who cares, we all suffer time to time
    the dinos- dont worry, its not that hard a beat providing your patient!

i have no idea what that product is tbh, and wouldnt normally reccomend people go down these lines ("anti" or "ide" sort of thing asuming this is what it is )

i will try keep an eye out for this thread incase you come back to it in a week or 2

9. dg98

dg98 Registered

Well I will give this stuff a go not convinced myself targets cyanobacteria, think it maybe more effective when you get rid. package says can't overdose, anyways should see some results by Sunday.

10. dg98

dg98 Registered

Contrary to advice I have blacked out tank , for 72hrs a few days ago dinos got very bad I panicked and unplugged lights and blacked out.
    My plan is to take off bin liners tomorrow, do a water change, change floss and take out carbon. Then introduce a low light schedule have only 2 channels blue and white. And also dose this stuff excital believe it is bacteria to out compete algae.
    Was wondering what is best light schedule to start? Was thinking 2hrs or 4hrs white, blue hour either side for a week as excital should be added whilst lights on does specify or give reason. Then increase hour a week. Should I siphon sand bed?

11. Eyore

Eyore Guest

imo

day 1 - 1 hour blue
    day 2- 2 hours blue
    day 3 - 3 hours blue
    day 4 - 4 hours blue
    day 5- 5 hours blue 1 hour white
    day 6 - 6 hours blue 2 hours white
    day 7 - 7 hours blue 3 hours white
    day 8 - 8 hours blue 4 hours white
    then keep white there and bring blues up an hour a day to your nirmal day length
    give this a forrnight and access the situation.

then bring white up an hour every 3 or 4 days until back back to normal

leave the sand it should die back fast regardless with less light

12. dg98

dg98 Registered

Cheers will do, took off bin liners today did 20% water change had already siphoned sand bed oops and rockwork , think had some diatoms too as 1hr after siphoned a few patches of brown dusting once sand settled. Will follow light cycle and start dosing once I use whites. But all signs of dinos and cyanobacteria appearred to of gone. [​IMG]
    Cheers suppose I will find out after a few weeks if dinos gone

13. Eyore

Eyore Guest

no worries, whats done is done

it actually looks very clean, but i can still see the odd pit in the sand which looks like gaseous activity

look at your bkackout as a head start

14. dg98

dg98 Registered

What do you mean by gaseous activity on sandbed? I do apologise am complete beginner , please explain like I Am 4 yrs old

15. Eyore

Eyore Guest

lol

hmmm, the dinos release the bubbles of oxygen as they are photosynthesing.
    its these pits or voids created by the bubble that i can see i think

16. dg98

dg98 Registered

Sorry us isle of wighters are known as cork heads need I say anymore!
    It's funny you should say that in bisection of sand bed in glass there were air pockets about a month ago. Is that what you mean?
    Cheers again just feels like this tank has been cursed, been one thing after another. Will be a relief to have a period of stability. Suppose it's all a learning process.
    Thanks again

17. Eyore

Eyore Guest

yes

but obviously that is a cross section, similar activity is going on throughout the sand bed.

18. dg98

dg98 Registered

Well I am concerned that dinos coming back only had blues on for a few hrs. Is that possible? Bubbles appearing on rock, very small stringy stuff too, brown dusting on sand bed developing. De ja vu !
    Strange thing my corals are looking great, zoas grown new polyps, acan looks like it's growing a new head, mushroom has split too . Very strange

19. Eyore

Eyore Guest

what exsactly are you lighting with in the regime i detailed above? how deep is your tank?

20. dg98

dg98 Registered

2 hrs blue lighting, my tank is 40cm deep. My light
    http://www.marinereefled.co.uk/36w-quadspec-tile/

Sorry, just worked out why like a numpty, doubled checked timer white channel on for 2hrs and a bit 3am lol
    Must of accidently pressed pins or my two year old did it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice