1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What algae?

Discussion in 'I.D Section' started by dg98, Sep 5, 2014.

1. dg98

dg98 Registered

Just wanted to ask peoples opinions in what algae this maybe, tank is only 13weeks old?
    I have had it for a week , difficult to manage I gently stir surface of sand twice this week but comes back in a matter of hours. I have reduced lighting by 4 hrs, put in New purigen, rowaphos and carbon. Only been a few days so had to say it's effects.
    Sorry can't seem to get picture up:(

Last edited: Sep 5, 2014
  2. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

is it brown and dusty or red and slimy or green and hairy? or something completely different, clue please :biggrin:

3. dg98

dg98 Registered

Sorry folks:eek: algae is rusty Brown but thick areas are dark brown and slimey looking waving around in flow. A few bubbles in thick areas.
    Rock has got a few stringy bits if you look closely but nothing compared to sand bed.
    Am worried that it is dino evil toxic algae, however my conch and turbo has been wading through it they don't touch thick bits tho and they seem ok considering they must of eaten some of it.

4. microbius

microbius Registered

welcome to salty box :taz:

as you can not post pictures just yet this site has good pictures of nuisance algae for you to get an id from Reef Cleaners

5. dg98

dg98 Registered

Cheers taz, how rude am I, not introduced myself, cheers for link. I have a nano tank 60litres been set up from may however tank crashed due to powercut, lost most live stock all my corals ok and a few snails. This is second attempt been cycled for 4-5weeks and now this algae bloom.

6. microbius

microbius Registered

seems like a fairly standard algae phase then I notice you are running a tunze 9002 "the rolls Royce of nano skimmers :thumbup1:" carbon and Rowaphos as well so it should sort itself out

how are you running your Rowaphos by the way its just when I used to run it in the bag it didn't do a lot for me as it clumps and water tends to go around it if your mixing it with your carbon this may alleviate this issue, once I upgraded to a reactor the Rowaphos really started to kick ass then in a reactor its the king of phosphate removal

7. dg98

dg98 Registered

Well thanks for heads up, have only started using it this week. Was using prebagged seagel but was thinking it might be leeching phosphate back. As instructions say lasts 3-4 months which I doubt, although my phosphate not risen. Thought I would go trusty Rowa more cost effective and better control as I will change every month.
    I never thought of it clumping tho I am bagging it , I will mix it with carbon next month . Was not sure if it was ok to do.

8. microbius

microbius Registered

perfectly fine to do, even though the carbon exhausts much quicker than the Rowaphos in fact its effectiveness actually drops off after only a few days but its fine to sit in the bag for a month or two with your Rowaphos, as it will not leach any nasties back into the water, many if not most people don't change their carbon for a month or so and that's plenty enough to keep your water sweeter

it will allow the water to flow through the bag much better than Rowaphos on its own due to its larger size :thumbup1:

9. Eyore

Eyore Guest

10. dg98

dg98 Registered

Parts of it look similar but not to that extent that's the dinoflagy whatsit evil algae I believe? That's what I am worried about will post photo when I have done 10 posts thingy that's the message I get when I try to post at mo

11. Eyore

Eyore Guest

yes mate, thats dinos

its not the best pic i know of, just the best i could find today

at least your not blind to the possability of dinos

12. dg98

dg98 Registered

Been doing my research on net and it's so tricky as I have never seen these algaes in real live it's tricky to compare. It's probably a diatom bloom or cyano. Well I am hoping. Have been doing research on combating dinos just in case the black out method, or just use algae ultra x.

13. Eyore

Eyore Guest

forget algae x

if it is dinos i would reccomend blackout if your tank is new, otherwise i would make a few tweaks and battle it over a longer period
    blsckouts are not guaranteed as not all dinos die snd the release of nutrient along with lack of nutrient control that allowed the dinos to establish in the furst place feeds the next dino outbreak quite often

stop stirring the sand- you are releasing crud into the water to feed the dinos

14. dg98

dg98 Registered

Gulp!

15. dg98

dg98 Registered

Someone please say I am an idiot and this is not dinos :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. Eyore

Eyore Guest

from that
    pic 1 could be
    pic 2 looks like cyano

so you see how hard it is to id (given its likely the same stuff)

i have had dinos twice, a year ago, and around 3 or 4 years ago, this last time i still managed to mis id it for a couple of months until signs that were obvious occured. Its not always as simple as the stringy snotty stuff with air bubbles in. I have also seen and helped (ish) on probably well over a dozen dino threads on a differant forum, and yet still i cannot be 100% without a really good pic of a typical dino formation very often.

try syphoning it out for the time being and replacing the lost water as a water change. Dont disturb the sand when you do this

any chance of a close up on the stuff on your sand?
    also as its out of focus- your rock- is that bubble algae or bubbles? close up too if its bubbles

good clues-

snail mortality
    bubbles in the water column
    excessively scummy surface
    snot on the surface in sumps where light is

fish mortality (then its real bad (

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 7, 2014
  17. dg98

dg98 Registered

Cheers for ur help i will try and get close up tomorrow, it's water change day anyhow tomorrow, so will siphon sand. I change 12litres on a weekly basis. What I am finding strange is sudden lack of algae on glass and back wall none at all. Not sure where you mean about bubbles 1st or second pic?

18. Eyore

Eyore Guest

there appears to be bubbles on the rock in pic2?

its not so strange, whatever the algae/bacteria is- its filtering your tank which is outcompeting the algae which normally grows on your glass

19. dg98

dg98 Registered

Could not get a decent close up picture of algae, but have done a water change siphoned sandbed, Turkey blasted rock and a few corals, cleaned pump and chambers in rear. And combined my carbon and phosphate in same bag. You are right when cleaning tank I inspected rock and appears I have a bubble algae too. I do have a emerald crab hopefully it will sort it out .
    Any advice what to do, is it a case of wait it out see how algae develops or may recede fingers crossed.

20. dg98

dg98 Registered

These are best pics I could get, this is 3hrs after siphoned sand bed
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice