1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured What A Time For Things To Go Wrong

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by doug_amanda, Sep 16, 2017.

1. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Moderator Staff Member

Well you wouldn't believe it,
    woke up this morning with less than 24hrs until we go on holiday for ten days to our mustard tang covered in white spot. Setting up a quarantine tank and catching all the fish then expecting our kind neighbors next door who are looking after the fish while we're away to then treat them isn't an option, so I nipped out this morning and bought some polyp lab medic to treat the tank. They are happy to dose this morning and night as well as feeding and I have also warned them that the tang may not survive the ten days we're away, and if possible remove it and or any other dead fish,
    They are lovely people and I hope I haven't worried them to much, but I have to face facts, we haven't seen white spot in out tanks for three years or more so for whatever reason it's appeared now the timing couldn't be worse.
    As an added precaution I have given them my salty box login details just in case they get too worried or don't know what to do for the best if things get too bad, so hopefully some of you knowledgeable folk will help them out.
    Hopefully they won't need to use them and I will update on how thing are when I get back.
    All the best, Doug.

2. Realist

Realist Registered

That happened to me a few years ago not whitespot but the night before I was due to fly I accidently turned on a reactor that had bio pellets in it that I hadn't used in ages.

The result was a tank starved of oxygen, lost one fox face and up all light doing water changes to reduce it.

Then left the tank to my son to watch over.

Not a nice situation.

3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Feel for you, that's taking the edge off that pre-holiday excitement. Hope all works out well and Mr Tang pulls through

4. MissM

MissM Registered

Hope your lucky n things go well for your neighbours ☺

doug_amanda likes this.
  5. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

whats caused the spot.

added anything or stressed the tank?

6. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

Hope you have a better end than I did. Have a lovely holiday.

doug_amanda likes this.
  7. doug_amanda

Changed salt last week from Red Sea to aquaforest and added a bubble coral a couple of weeks ago, that's it. Nothing to write home about.

8. steve861uk

steve861uk Registered

Ahhh, a visit from Mr Murphy, or his close relation SOD! is never a nice thing, but is guaranteed to be inconvenient.

Nothing more you can do about it now, so have a nice holiday and what will be, will be :nusee:

9. Grannycarolann

How are things in your tank now? Hope your hols went well.

10. doug_amanda

Well got back home from our hols today at about 10:30 to what I can only describe as a complete and utter nightmare, firstly, and to be honest we knew last week because our neighbour who was looking after the fish rang and told us, our house was broken into
    and ransacked and I mean proper turned over, every draw in every room emptied all over the floor, kitchen cupboards emptied all over the place and my work van gone off the drive.
    Yet for all the mess they made apart from the van they've taken surprisingly little, three laptops, but not the power cables an iPad my old iPhone 4 that I used as an alarm and a few other small bits n bobs It almost seems like they were looking for something in particular but I can't for the life in me think what.
    One of the things missing is the spare car key which is a pain, I've had to disable the car on the drive just in case they decide to come back and nab it. Must say though, Fair play to VW as soon as we told them what had happened they put us right to the front of the que for tomorrow so we can have the remaining key and locks re-coded first thing in the morning.

The fish,, Mustard tang, kole tang, coral beauty, regal tang and two clowns all dead, the neighbor managed to remove the bodies of the mustard tang and regal tang which I'm glad about as they were both big fish and I found what's left of a clownfish stuck to the underside of the gyre so managed to get that one out, the rest are still in there unfortunately. Still alive we only have a cleaner wrasse and a file fish. I've set up a 60 litre hospital tank for them and set and baited a fish trap so hopefully before long I'll have them out and treated while the tank runs fallow for the next two and a half months.
    Very sad indeed.

11. MissM

MissM Registered

Oh that's really horrible on both fronts there .. so sorry. I hope they catch the thieving bast###s and I hope you catch the remaining fish...
    Don't know what the world is coming to

12. Realist

Realist Registered

When #### hits the fan it comes in leaps and bounds.

Keep smiling, chin up and hope all soon gets well.

13. doug_amanda

Doesn't it just,
    Feeling a lot better now the car locks have been sorted and the dogs are back from the kennels,
    As for the police we are feeling very let down, rang the police station yesterday to let them know we were back, and for a crime number for the insurance and were informed of the investigation officers who were dealing with it but we're on a day off and they would be round to see us today, but no sighn of them so Amanda rang again early afternoon, phone not answered so after about 15 minutes she gave up, rang again after about an hour, still no answer, but a recorded message that said e-mails were monitored up to 8pm so we sent an e-mail, well whoever monitors them doesn't answer them.
    Going banging on the police station tomorrow to ask them how they go on investigate crime when they don't know what's been stolen.
    I want my van found and I want the scum caught so If they think they're just fobbing us of with a crime number they can think again.

The fish tanks looking a lot better now, given the glass a good clean and done a couple of decent water changes but neither the wrasse or the file fish have been anywhere near the trap and for some reason the skimmer went nuts last night and almost filled the cup by this morning. I've also got some strange looking algae growing, I'm guessing because now there's no tangs to eat it, I'll take a picture tomorrow when the lights are back on.

14. MissM

MissM Registered

Police are a waste of space today when it comes to the little man unfortunately...glad to hear the tank is coming back slowly ☺

15. Realist

Realist Registered

The police will class it as a small crime and just log it as that.

You still need the crime number for insurance but your van its most probs being used as a clone, smash and grab or burnt out, it will most probs show up one day.

Problem is scum are in everyone's society and baseball bats work wonders that's the only language they know.

16. doug_amanda

Just been to the police station and feeling a lot better now they've spoke to us,
    the bottom line is there's to much crime and not enough police to deal with it so it's just left to the insurance companies to pick up the tab.

Ps don't have a baseball bat, will a cricket bat do instead.

17. Realist

Realist Registered

Ideal.

18. MissM

MissM Registered

Borrow mine if you want lol

doug_amanda likes this.
  19. spiritwalker

spiritwalker Registered

Firstly sorry for all your troubles secondly delete the message about wot went missing then replace it with the message about your 3 Rolex watches,the several gold necklaces,gold rings,the large cd collection,the cash ,the PlayStation plus 50 games,and the rare coin Collection that's missing. Then the insurance pay out will make up for the useless police help lol lol

doug_amanda likes this.
  20. Grannycarolann

Flippin heck that pile of poo certainly found your door, sorry to hear about the trouble you have been having. My hubby spent 26 yrs in Police mainly inTraffic on M6 as accident investigator , but he said many years ago that things were changing for for the worse back then and that was 20yrs ago .
    Hope things improve for you , good luck.

doug_amanda likes this.