1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured weir pipe gone again

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by alex8882, Aug 17, 2010.

1. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Well as some may remember, i've been having some problems with my drain from the tank to the sump. I got the tank, which had been drilled long before i had got it. It has been drill on the back about half way up. The hole size is 34mm. The bulkhead fitting is a solvent weld, however all the rest of the pipe work is 1 1/4" push fit. So what i need help with is, i need a fitting that will go through the glass with a 90 bend thats all push fit. I have probably confused the heck out of you all, so i will post up some pictures asap.

2. Viking

Viking Registered

You really need to go with solvent weld rather than the push fit stuff. Push fit seals are affected by the salt water and go hard, causing it to leak.

3. Rob Long

Rob Long Registered

Yes I totally agree,push fits rely on a collett system and when the seal breakdown the collett becomes loose and therefore leaks.You should be able to get all the parts you require from the Plumb Center and glue it all together before fitting.You could use solid right down to the sump if yr worried about it and just silicone the pipe to the back of the tank to stop it from moving.

4. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Thanks for the replys. Its the second time this year that i've had to do this. Oh well i may aswell spin the sump round at the same time. Saves the length on the pipe work lol.

5. pennywise

pennywise Registered

oh sugar, this is something i didnt think about, all my over flows are push fit, didnt want to use solvent just in case of poisoning, will seal all joins with aquamate to prevent leaks, hopefully this will prevent any leaks, oops!

6. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

So i'm not the only one then lol. Gona order all my stuff and get it done

7. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Well tank back up and running for now. Seems the hole in my tank isn't a standard size. Its 37.1mm. So finding something to fit was fun.

8. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

That hole is For a 32mm bulkhead

9. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Yeah thought that althou it was alittle loose when inserted lol. Spoke to soon as i seem to have water now coming out the bottom of the the sump :( . Thinking about capping the hole off and using an fx5. Not having much look with this tank. Last tank i had was running an over flow box, one minor flood in three years.

10. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Have you tightened it up enough? Also the rubber seal is on the outside isn't it?

11. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Its a solvent weld fitting. I can't fit a screw type bulkhead. My drain in on the back panel about half way up. So being lazy and not draining my tank to move it, i used a solvent cap, and attached my pipe work to that. Just had another look at the sump, and its leaking from one of the silicone joints. Need a new one anyways i've repaired it three time in different places lol.

12. deb+wayne

deb+wayne Registered

Coventry aquatics sell them. ;)

13. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Thanks for that. Cant deciede whether to stick with a sump or go to the fx5. I don't keep corals of any kind in the big tank, fowlr.

14. rabbut

rabbut Registered

I would always have a sump if I could on a marine system. They are lower maintenance and work really well once set-up [001_smile.gif]

15. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

Had mine running for about a year now. Thing is it has more cracks then a pub toilet lol. They have been repaired. The last owner was very careful. I surpose with a sump i can put some cheato into it. On a whole it does seem to run very well, its just i have polished wood floors and they don't like the salt water very much lol

16. peerless

peerless Registered

I would bite the bullet, beg, borrow or steal some water containers and drain the tank when you change the sump and fit the solvent weld fittings.
    Sounds like it will be a bit of a pain but the long term peace of mind will be worth it.

17. alex8882

alex8882 Registered

I've replaced all the pipe work for solvent weld so thats part of the job out the way lol. I've got 10 complete setups for sale so not bad for storage lol. Its abit of a nightmare but hey that marine keeping on times

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice