1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Wayne's Red Sea Max 130

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Wayne23uk, Mar 11, 2012.

1. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Finally decided to do a tank thread, I bough this tank from a friend at work after his wife told him it was never clean enough as he always had brown hair algea (he never did any water test) anyway i got a bargin £300 with rock and fish cleared the algea in a week with some rowa phos and it was looking great.
    DSC00352.jpg

Which was then all runined by a mantis shrimp killing most of my fish, once i had got it out of the tank i decided to go for a bubble tip anemone.
    DSC00358.jpg
    The mrs loved this my nitrates went high from lack of water changes and killed the anemone which caused all sorts of problems and I also ended up with alot of green algea, after getting advise from the internet and lfs i bought a tunze 9002 skimmer and a in-tank media rack for more space for media to help get my nitrates down and get rid of the algea. I also put in a tunze 6025 nano power head for more flow. This has cleaned the tank up very nicely now and it looking great but been having a few problems with phosphates after trying red seas nopox which was great for my nitrates but my phosphate just kept going up, I have now installed a TMC V2 bio fluidiser for my phosphates media and have got my levels to 0ppm

DSC00029.jpg DSC00035.jpg
    Thanks for reading any comments or recommendation will be taken on board as i am still learning alot.

2. racea

racea Registered

Good stuff mate - sounds like you had a tough start but sorted it out. Great little tanks - just set one up myself and looking around for the media rack and 9002.

Look forward to seeing it progress Big Thumbs Up

3. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Looks nice fella after a sticky start.

Welcome to the world of nano reefers but you'll soon want to upgrade Big Thumbs Up

4. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Charterhouse aquatics have them in

5. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

I love the new red sea s series but don't have the space or money but the mrs has said I can have one if we get a bigger house

6. racea

racea Registered

Ha ha - then when your 2nd child comes along (speaking from experience!!!!) you need to down grade cos there are not enough hours in the day lol!!!!

7. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

Think that will be about right really our 1st child is 16mouth now but he loves the tank

8. PaulM

I have the nod for the new S-Series when the Mrs gets her extension this year Big Thumbs Up

9. PaulM

My youngest at 6 loves to watch and my eldest at 13 helps with water changes. Even the missus helps when he is out Big Thumbs Up

10. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

you lucky man my son is only 16mouth but loves watching them

11. PaulM

My eldest is sat watching ours now, and has been for 20+ mins, as he's bored of the Liverpool v Everton match Big Thumbs Up

12. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

quick update just added a nice yellow clown goby to go with my royal gramma, common clown and fireball angel that keeps going for my LPS corals doing my head in now

13. PaulM

14. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

will try gett some up this week possibly looking a flame hawfish and a lepord wrasse to go in next

15. PaulM

Don't overstock and spoil it all. Keep an eye on your fish limits.

16. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

well im thinking of taking the fireball angel out but it is if i can catch it 1st

17. PaulM

Sounds like a good move. Grab some store credit and replace the nipped LPS.

18. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

It has only gone for my purple tip Elegance Coral and i think it will survie if i do somat quick, somtimes goes for the toadstool frag and duncan frags but they seem happy most of the time. waiting for some money as im in the middle of moving jobs really could do with getting a RO unit 1st followed by a clean up crew top up before i add new fish

19. PaulM

My clowns nip the hell out of my toadstool smiley-sex020

20. Wayne23uk

Wayne23uk Registered

well I manged to get my fireball angel out today with a fish trap and have swapped it for a peacock wrasse will post pics when it comes out

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice