1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Water Changing - Food For Thought

Discussion in 'General Chit Chat' started by reefloat, Dec 16, 2018.

1. reefloat

reefloat Registered

... just been reading others thoughts on facebook groups on this controversial subject and what keeps cropping up is how fast some can do a water change using their method - this is not a post to promote my product as dont need to resort to that, some agree and some do not, everyones input is valid and whatever works for you should not be disregarded.
    TO THE POINT - a fast water change must be undesirable (my opinion for what its worth) the new water you are adding to your tank can never be identical to whats already there and nor would you want it to be! but the two should be merged as slowly as possible to avoid shock, this is how the reefloat AWC works.
    I have no doubts some will disagree and why its human nature to experiment but logic should play a part.

hotashes likes this.
  2. mtc1

mtc1 Registered

When i ran Marine i generally carried out water changes fast, unheated. I also ran continuous water changes for a while using an apex DOS but never observed any advantage or improvement. Now i have Malawi Cichlids i have the pleasure of using the Python Clean & Fill, the greatest aquarium gadget ever invented :D.

3. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

mine goes initially into the sump and mixed in there before it goes into the display tank
    but still pretty quick

4. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

On my new tank I plan on water changing from the sump aswell and giving it a wipe over everytime to keep it clean! However the novelty might wear off fast on that one haha, i do however agree with you in this hobby especially with corals we are looking for stability, so a slow and steady water change would be more beneficial in the long run.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

5. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

slow is definitely better

6. shazants

shazants Registered

I have to agree with reefloat ..... when you think about it logically a constant slow water change has to be the preferred method..... my only issue with that is the logistics and space required to have this in place. Hence why i dont do water changes other than via Auto top up for evaporation and dose the elements back in! :)

If i had a cellar / room behind or close enough to the DP that had enough space to house a complete water change system, where i could pre mix hundreds of litres of new saltwater on a weekly basis and drain the excess away i am pretty sure i would go to that effort...... unfortunately i dont.... but hope one day i can win the lottery and build one just like all the amazing ones i see in the USA on YouTube!

Fingers crossed!

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice