1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Water change

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Ozone, Jul 10, 2016.

1. Ozone

Ozone Registered

Right guys my tank has now finished it's cycle tested the water for the last two days high nitrate 0 ammonia and nitrite ph 8.0 am thinking of doing my big water change in the morning then it has 24 hours to settle back down and I can adjust things if needed the question is how much water do I remove 150l tank including sump and is changing it 24 hours prior to putting a cuc in IE going Tuesday for a cuc

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Tapatalk

2. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

It will depend on how high the nitrates are really, and what you intend to keep, fish only system you can run at 40ppm all day long in nitrates and fish will be ok, lps normally run around 10-20 to thrive and grow, sps is lowest normally around 0-10. A happy medium for a mix tank is around 5-10 with coral feeding.
    CUC can cope reasonably well with high nitrates 40/60, but it is good practice to try and get the tank somewhere close at the beginning to where you ideally want to run it at for the long term, making it easier to keep the level stable as you go.

I have found that the first month or two, normally requires higher or more frequent water changes as rocks/substrate leech out the nitrates/phos, but once this has been done, you may find that your water changes will stretch to once a fortnight, or 5%-10% per week.

3. Ozone

Ozone Registered

Well I postponed my water change till tomorrow morning going to do a 70% change due to just finished cycle then in afternoon go and get some snails few crabs a shrimp and a gobie poss a couple of baby clown fish then that's it for a month or two while it all stabilises not only that am on me jollies end of August for a week so it might be best

4. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Doing that amount of water change can upset the system, patience is the key to a successful tank.

5. Ozone

Ozone Registered

The cycle has finished

6. chippypah

chippypah Registered

Yes but that is still too much in one go.

7. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Agree with Pete on this, it would be better to do x2 water changes over a few days of 35% rather than one big 70% change, as this allows bacteria to adjust a bit better to food that is available to them, as for the live stock, CUC I would limit to around a max of 5 or so for a start, and if you are going for fish I would wait a week before adding anything to make sure everything is going ok, if you are going for a goby "sand shifter" of any kind then this guy needs to go in after about 3-4 weeks, as there will be very little food in the sand for it to eat, and what food there is in it, you will need to use to establish your break down crew "worms/pods, etc..."

A pair of clowns after a week or so, would be about right, as long as they are juveniles and not adults, and you would probably need to hang tight for a few weeks before adding any other type of fish after this.

I know that seems like an age to do, but its done for the reason of allowing the system to mature and for the bacteria to catch up and get established for the new demand within the system, rushing this part can end up with you losing the fish, crashing the bacteria, and having to restart it all over again, which as you know seems to also take an age to complete.

"The key to success and happiness is slowly progress" is the motto I suggest, of course you can go ahead with the plan as it stands and keep your fingers crossed that it works out ok, but IMHO it would be a shame to have waited this long to get to this stage, and rushing the next bit to have to restart it all again.

8. Ozone

Ozone Registered

Well my tank holds 165l take away rock sand skimmer filter media there is estimate 150l so if I change 50l that will leave 100l of cycled water still in there during my cycle I had a very high ammonia nitrite both was off the scale and I had a bad bio load on top but left it and eventually it sorted it's self out thought of doing a big change due to the fact I had very high reading and am now running at 0ammonia and 0 nitrite 50+ nitrate using red sea test kit ph 8.2

9. merser

merser Registered

I also agree with those above. A 70% change is way to big. As suggested. Chop that into two or three. Or seven! Hahah

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. CEECH

CEECH Registered

I did a 20 % water change when my tank was cycled and reduced to 10% from then on weekly chnages. 70% seem like allot

11. Jasandjules

Jasandjules Registered

As above, not being funny but I'd do about 10% every other day for a week. Then test. You also want to allow the system to be able to reduce the nitrates remember.. So there must be some in there to grow the bacteria..

70% or even 25% at the start will IMHO upset the balance a bit too much.

12. Wal35

Wal35 Registered

We are mid July, i know it is hard for you but i would aim to do small water changes 10 to 20 % over next few weeks till mid august and then take it from there

No rush as you WILL regret it

i know it is it very hard for you and i am sure you are itching to get your first fish in but just wait

13. Realist

Realist Registered

Famous last words KISS Keep It Simple Stupid.

What I mean is do it right from the beginning and at the end all will be a breeze.

Small water changes over time M8, don't rush 70% will start a cycle over again so just keep it small.

14. warby

warby Registered

Got to agree with the majority here do smaller water changes like 10%. If you try to rush things you will end up in a mess we've all been there and know how exciting it is to have the tank cycled and ready for cuc and/or fish but please do not rush everything in this hobby takes time.

sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

15. Ozone

Ozone Registered

Well thanks for the advice guys ended up changing 25l which made no difference to the nitrate still at the top of the scale next day changed another 25l and that done the trick brought my nitrate down to 10 on the red sea test kit ammonia at 0 nitrite at 0 my lfs said that was fine and good to go so added 4 turbo snails 3 blue leg hermits the snails have sorted all my brown algae it's took them 2 days to shift it and I had loads tested the water every day and it's all good and feeding very small amounts twice a day

16. Wal35

Wal35 Registered

Too early and snails do not need feeding let alone twice a day

Easy otherwise you will end up losing your life stock and start all from the zero

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice