1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Vision 450-Coral Tragedies

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Funkymonkey, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

No, my main problem as always are them going from the tips. Tips turn white and it works its way back. On top of that I reckon I have some predation going on though. I considered asking Ste if he had a microscope and I could have snapped some frags out to take in to examine but I'm not sure if he'd have one. To be honest its not been my main priority as the burnt tips have been my main concern, then I reached the point of I just dont want to look anymore. I've been trying to get to the bottom of problems since starting adding sps and its always so fruitless

Almost always its the tips that go first, the green digi I'm not sure if a crabs had it. The one where its going in the middle I've not got a clue, at 3am under a red torch I can see strands, like you'd see on an aiptasia but its not an aip and comes and goes. Even that coral has had issues at the tip hence the asterina perched on the end branch probably munching on algae growth

2. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Possibly, I got it off someone who's had issues with nudis before I think but I cant see anything on it. I've give it a blast with a syringe and do get stuff coming off it but I cant see any nudis or eggs. I bought a magnifying thing which turned out to be some cheap **** you use when reading a book so wasnt much use

3. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

The blueberry frag went the same way, in patches. Thats now almost completely dead bar a few polyps

4. screwloose

screwloose Registered

also a big asterina just to the left too

5. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

well spotted eagle eyes :)

yeah I added a harlequin some time back. A great investment he was. I reckon either Mr dusky wrasse or my boxer shrimp has had him as cant even find him with the red torch

6. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

Ha..no sarcasm intended. In all seriousness, if I have it and dont need it then you may aswell get some use out of it.

7. liam0

liam0 Registered

I have got plenty of hugs you are welcome too dude. xx

8. PaulM

PaulM New Member Forum Support

Really sorry to hear of all these problems with your sps funky :(

If it's any consolation I think the last picture in post 1834 is a vision of loveliness :)

9. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

lol cheers Paul, there are many days when I think why not just go for a nice softie set up but I'd just end up unhappy when I see these lfs owners showing their weekly stock of new sps off

I'm on my way Liam, just get rid of the sister I dont want to freak her out seeing two grown men hugging in your hallway :D

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Its not even hard, look after the water and the corals look after themselves. Yeah right!

thats enough from me, I'm off to find a cheerful thread, heard a rumour Tom isnt far off setting his up so off for a catch up

11. liam0

liam0 Registered

She's gone! Really is out the house though! Hysterical

12. Carlos

Carlos Registered

wow this thread has moved on today. If it was me mate I'd strip it down and get a new tank, new rock and start again mate. I can't help with any equipment but I'm always at hand to give a helping hand mate Big Thumbs Up

Carl

13. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

If your going to strip it down I'd keep the rock and just kill it and reseed it (I can do that for you) that way you know your reducing the chance of starting with pests.

If the rock is dead you can dry scape and take your time in getting it right rather than being against the clock to add water. I've always got frags you can have once your system is ready.

I'm a little way off kick starting my tank again so we could be start up buddies if you make a decision to have a fresh start...

14. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Funky I dont think you need a new tank, or necessarily a new anything other than rock and sand. I suggest you just empty out and stip down what you have, give it all a good clean. Get new substrate and liverock and start over with what you have.

15. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

thanks guys. Tbh as upset as I am it's not the end of the world. I never planned on keeping this tank forever, it's slowly sinking into the floor leaning to the right and the joists are now as springy as my sons trampoline. When someone walks past the tank it rocks, scarily so and not good with kids about

Theres room in the kitchen/diner for at least a 5ft tank though my ideal tank would be 4x2x2.5, my plan is to slowly get one setup in there as and when funds allow. Once it's setup it makes transferring fish etc easy and I can start afresh as Liam has.

And cheers Andy though it seems a shame to just kill all the softies. I shall mull it over for a few days :)

16. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

whatever you do Steve dont offer Tommy your current tank Hysterical

17. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Liams just pm'd me offering a 10ft tank, just getting the measuring tape out to check if it will fit :D

18. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

Lets kill the softies. I can lend you Oscar

19. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

I want some rock left over, the way you've taught him to growl I wouldn't trust him not to chew the rock up and spit it out in bits :)

20. liam0

liam0 Registered

I just sat and giggled for ages at that matt! See, after all this time you still make me giddy! Have you got stock that you are really 'fond' of Ste?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice