1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Vision 450-Coral Tragedies

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Funkymonkey, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Go back to what you know I'm sure Steve still has your mushrooms and leather coral lol. Only joking mate I know exactly what you mean mate, lost my flame angel last night after having him.3 years :-(

Chin up mate Steve said he's doing bacon and egg butties now :)

Sent from my galaxy S3 using Forum Runner

2. Aaron

Aaron Photography pimp

The enjoyment goes when you add stuff and you're checking it for signs of stripping twice a day. I'm with Carl, go back to what you can manage and you know won't die such as LPS. I'm much less stressed since I went back to what I'm good at, enjoying the tank much more and what I spend money on doesn't die.

3. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Its basically anything nice dies, softies thrive. I cut away a toadstool last year and that's grown back to its former glory. Palys growing through a layer of epo putty that was plastered over them to try and contain them.The sps frags I've had for ages that were growing have now died. There's over 40 dead frags dotted about with no explanation why

Hope the tangs still hanging in for you :( been reading your thread and doesn't sound good. We normally have to wait for you to leve before he gets the bacon out, glad he's finally let you in on it :)

Youre right but, I prefer sps so I don't think the enjoyment would be there. Not wasting money sounds appealing though somewhat alien!

To top it all off I've had a shaft break on a power head so I've now also not got enough flow in the tank and I'm skintus.

Some corals are hanging on, large plate off nev, some montis. Acros ot looking good

I was in a fine mood until you bumped this thread Liam, I'd pushed it all to the back of my mind. I want a new tank and a fresh start and until that happens I've just lost interest

4. Aaron

Aaron Photography pimp

Shame on you Liam.

5. PaulTys

PaulTys Registered

Sorry to hear this mate. Maybe stick with sticks but just have a complete strip down and start again. Some new live rock, re-start the system, get some more frags (there will be plenty on offer) and start again. Youve been having unfathomable problems from the start so maybe time to start again. Keep all your equipment etc so not spending money again but clear out and start over, setting up step by step?

6. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

As above i'd start over. Swap the rock at your favourite lfs and dont put any softies in. Plenty of frags here for you

7. Carlos

Carlos Registered

I know mate after all I've spent there as well, just not on mate :taunt:. tang is not good mate he thinks hes on a roundabout ATM at the back slowly just going round and round as though he's on a mini roundabout slowly :-(.

Hang in there mate, sit back and have a good thing what you want out of your tank, maybe time to upgrade and change your tank and throw some new life into the hobby for you Steve ?.

Carl

8. ZombieTuesday

ZombieTuesday Registered

Funks Ive probably got a spare All pond 3000ltr lying around if you want to borrow or have it .. if that will help till you can get something better?

Last edited: Jul 11, 2012
  9. liam0

liam0 Registered

Do it mate, shut this one down and sell it all and start fresh. I did it and I am in love all over again. Testing regular, celebrating the little victories. If you are down about the tank and are having problems that you don't feel can be rectified without a change then do it dude. You've got a lot of friends here that will help in every way they can.

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Cheers everyone, don't want you thinking I'm being ignorant, I'll reply properly later, thread and pm :)

11. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

I have a tonne of equipment Steve, and a tonne of rock. Whatever you need I expect I will have it and spares too. You are well respected and well liked on here I am sure we could get you re-set up in no time at all.

12. Realist

Realist Registered

I have loads of gear here monkey man including some 6025's your welcome to. Now give yourself a good slap about and lets get you sorted Big Thumbs Up

13. ZombieTuesday

ZombieTuesday Registered

And answer your Pm's

14. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Thats what I want to do, its just having the cash for a new tank. If its not birthdays or money for some sale at Next its school uniform or car tax, theres always something getting in my way! I think its the only way I'll ever get anywhere though as this tank has been cursed from the beginning

I would have done earlier but some amateur interfered with the pm system :taunt:

thanks for all the kind words everyone it means alot, I was looking for the sarcasm in your post Matt and finally found it with the well respected comment :biggrin:

I've just reached a point where I cant explain all the deaths. At one point I seemed to be doing ok, since then I improved the lights,added a calc reactor instead of manual balling, added atu, changed salt to Royal Nature, added a polyfilter, reverted back to Rowa, switched to Rowacarbon instead of the cheaper stuff. I added a temp controller and borrowed fans off Matt so 1deg swing instead of 3 in hot weather. Removed rusty looking heater, added a cucumber which keeps the sand nice and clean. Dkh is a steady 8.2 day and night on different test kits.

All this should have improved things yet if anything they are now worse.

Heres some pics

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The one in the middle was a nice green confusa. Its now dark brown

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

This was a fantastic plana frag off young Nev

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

This one is mainly dead in the middle

[​IMG]

And to finish off a nice blueberry monti frag off Mitchell

[​IMG]

Theres plenty more pics of dead stuff but I wouldnt want to bore you all! and its making me depressed taking the pics and removing dead frags. I've noticed taking the pics some green algae is now on the dead skeletons so maybe time to change the rowa but whats the point?!

The pump that broke was one of those sunsun 12000lph jobbies. I've added a small pump so now I have running a resun 15000 though I doubt its anywhere near 15000lph, a rio 2100 and two small 400lph things. I dont know if this is enough or not but if you have one sat about doing nothing Chris that would be great

I'd sell rock/softies to go towards funding a new tank but I cant be fussed with various people turning up and haggling over 4 blue mushrooms on some rock etc though on a positive thanks to Mr Copperband should I sell rock theres no aiptasia anywhere

thanks to people for the offer of frags its really appreciated but as you can see, atm theres just no point adding anything :( I'm off for a quiet sob in the corner now right after I reply to ZT's pm :biggrin:

Oh and Liam, dont worry Mr Potters is alive and well, as are the softies :rolleyes: If you want any help taking pics of fish Aaron, as you can see I'm your man

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 12, 2012
  15. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Excellent, I just so happen to need 1 tonne of rock and 1 tonne of equipment, whens delivery! :tongue:

cheers Matt, I think I've had enough from you :thumbup1:

16. screwloose

screwloose Registered

if there is anything you want me to mind on frag rack for a bit, just let me know,

i will donate some new bits for ya too buddy once its going good :)

17. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

oh forgot this nice green digi

[​IMG]

18. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

cheers Nev, I think I'll have to pretty much write this tank off as it is now but if I ever get sorted I will come calling, bags in hand *:biggrin:

* actually, might need you to provide bags aswell :D

19. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

have you dipped anything funky?

20. ZombieTuesday

ZombieTuesday Registered

That digi looks eaten funks... You got nudis in there?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice