1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Vision 450-Coral Tragedies

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by Funkymonkey, May 2, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

If Sam can manage to get off his couch to do a tank thread then so can I :D will be getting some pics together and then cracking on, posted this now to make sure i do it or it wont happen

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 16, 2011
  2. Chris J

Chris J Registered

Re: vision 450 tank of death

Bout time :-d

3. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

Big Thumbs Up Whoo hoo let the monkey see the saddled dog in the style of Paddy McGuinness!

Let me grab a beer and wait for the thread to begin.Big Thumbs Up

4. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Chill that beer, awaiting kebab delivery then ill start, you must know by now I can waffle so could be a long night for me

5. alex5907

alex5907 Guest

Did not even know you had not done one funky , but can't wait to see it now , yawn lol

6. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Give your good looking head a wobble and wait around then lol. All this build up for my polluted slice of the ocean

7. alex5907

alex5907 Guest

It had better be interesting !

8. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

I guess somebody has to have the bit of the ocean BP pollute. I bet Chris might be interested in your cast off water (assuming you do water changes ?) to use as bio diesel if that the case.

Come on now concentrate, start off with a few pics of the swmbo as a warning to people who are considering taking the p1ss out of this thread.smiley-sex020

9. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

OK I knew this would happen, had my kebab and really cant be bothered :lol:

Most people start a tank thread as they start off whereas Im doing it around 10months on. This will be brief as I just want a tank thread so I can update where Im at as I go along, its really a chore posting up past events for me :whistling:

I started with a smallish tank that saw many a cichlid death, not by choice but I had a bully of a fish that destroyed any new tank mates :( I looked in to bigger tanks and ended up on a cichlid forum, malawimal was well known in these I was even going to buy my stock from him. Im waffling already jeez :rolleyes:

So looking around I came across a jewel vision 450 marine set up, still on AC here! Juwel vision 450 full marine setup. at Aquarist Classifieds for £300

Was going to buy that for cichlids and scrap the marine stuff, after chat with the owner I stuck with marines. So here it was

[​IMG]

Couple of tangs in there that get too big but sadly that wasnt to matter, huge fast forward and I got to here

[​IMG]

so things seemed to be going well, I continued to add more rock and then started dosing the redsea nopox to get my levels down. Added a regal with whitespot and shortly after a powder blue like you do! There was too much going on with my tank back then and for whatever reason the fish started to gasp on the bottom, within a few days all but one died :( again skipping through this tank thread, the details are here http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/fish-health/82370-im-gutted-what-would-you-do-now-down-1-fish.html

So chin up the restocking began. Giving up on tangs for now apart from the sailfin that survived I began to stock with gobies. I love these guys for their character.

You may be bored by now so skipping to where Im at now

I have....

a richmondi wrasse, thinking of adding a second one
    3 watchman gobies
    1 engineer goby
    1 jewel algae blenny
    1 saffron goby newly acquired and missing in action-need to check livestock guarantee here from LFS :whistling:
    1 clown tang, what an amazing fish
    1 sailfin tang
    3 or more pistol shrimp
    boxing shrimp- a large one
    2 cleaner shrimp- never again
    a mandarin

I think Im pretty much done with livestock now.

Im now running pearls but levels arent dropping, I think there is something fundamentally wrong with my tank set up and its driving me mad.

Anyhow, forgot to describe the set up.... tank runs with a sump via an overflow box which is very noisy, first compartment holds the skimmer pump to a TMC v2 1000 and 1kg of carbon, second is a sandbed approx 3 inch deep with bits of rock and chaeto growing under 2 energy saving lightbulbs, 3rd compartment is return pump and pump to a chippy reactor running the pearls

Heres how I stand today

[​IMG]

finishing with the pics who can forget my attempt at SPS, maybe one day

[​IMG]

Bit of a poo start to a tank thread but everything I've gone through has been posted throughout on this forum, would take too many pages to repeat it all. At least this gives me a base to update and if I want to waffle about my tank I dont have to hijack other peoples threads.

Sorry if it wasnt worth the wait Alex, well really Im not but I was brought up to be polite Big Thumbs Up Its been a great journey so far

10. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Worth adding I hate my tank, never happy with it and visiting people like 4head and mitchell makes me sick :D

Forgot to mention lighting is courtesy of a small 2x150mh unit which doesnt reach the ends of the tank, I really do need to update the lighting but never get round to it and tend to miss the bargains. I am a disaster, dropped an aquaray in the tank which then got water in and blew, to top that off I'm now running at 40ppt, think thats around 1.031? though Im sorting this out

Last edited: May 2, 2011
  11. Mitchell

Mitchell Registered

Are you sticking with Lps for a while? If so you can have some of my thermonuclear neon green pulsating venus flytrapping paly's. They are very cool looking and grow very well. They have survived all my ups and downs so should be easy to keep going.

Is that little zoo frag still alive in there?

12. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

OMG have I really given the impression I kill everything :lol: yes mate its doing well but no sign of blues! or the gsp now thinking about it Im wondering if I put it on the sand the right way up will have to check that :eek: the green ones are doing well though!

Oh yes, direction Im heading, going to gradually do away with the softies though not all of them, I like some and will prob go to pretty much all LPS. SPS have grown on me but I couldnt cope with brown corals at the slightest swing it wouldnt suit me. Im thinking eventually colourful scolys etc maybe with one or two SPS

13. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Are they the same as these to the right of the clown? If not yesh please Big Thumbs Up

[​IMG]

Oh also have a pink anthias, forgot that one!

14. 4head

4head Registered

It looks alot fuller than I remember , nice urchin by the way. I hate my tank too, seeing other peoples tanks always strives you forward. One nite this week, get kettle on and I'll come and see this possible upgrade youv'e got collecting rain in back garden.

15. alex5907

alex5907 Guest

Looking good bud

16. JayTee

JayTee Registered

Tank looks great matey, you've come a long way from those humble beginnings Big Thumbs Up. You have given me inspiration on this windy (yes I've had a curry) :eek: Monday night.

17. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

I've had a kebab with hot chilli so I'll be joining you on this windy evening! Big Thumbs Up

hes great for keeping SPS clean, your mad getting shut!

[​IMG]

18. Ged

Ged Registered

Tank looks nice and full mate. :thumbup1:

If you were thinking of trying more SPS I would shift some of those softies, the toxins that they can give off, would practically rule SPS out from experience.

It's a hard choice to make, but if you want to progress and start with SPS then the softies just have to go. You can keep some, but make sure you run plenty of carbon. :thumbup1:

Rome weren't built in a day, as long as you are happy then so be it. Looks fine to me.

19. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

thanks Ged, tbh I might only try one or two SPS, LPS can look just as good without the stress I reckon. I dont know I keep changing my mind. I got a 4x2x2 off mitchell my options with that are use it as a new main tank and shut mine down or use it as a sump and get a 5x2.5x2 or Im even considering using it as a FOWLR tank and putting it in kitchen/diner area. Id rather do that but dont know if I want the running costs of two tanks.

Anyway, what better way to keep you all riveted than to show you my salt mixing tank :lol: its a rio 125l, couple of times I've left my RO filling to find it dripping through the kitchen ceiling :(

[​IMG]

I have this set up in the spare/junk room upstairs and I tend to leave it mixed in the tank for a week or two at a time to use as and when. Been thinking about that and Im hoping nitrates etc cant build up with it being left for so long. No idea what its costing me to run as its got 100w heater, 3 powerheads and an airpump with two air stones in the tank on pretty much all the time

I did use D-D salt but have just started to use the Kent marine reef mix as Rabbut speaks well of it, thought Id give it a go.

I messed up with topping up evaporation and my mixing at some point though as the tank was running at around 1.031 (40ppt) though I've slowly brought this back to around 1.028, still some work to do there.

Next steps for me need to be a light unit that lights all of the tank, a new return pump as mine was knocking after cleaning it out-think I've sorted that but would be stuck if it did pack in and then I think I'll sell some softies off and replace with one or two large LPS colonies Im too impatient to watch frags grow over a few years

20. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice