1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Velvet or not velvet?

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by leicesterfishes, Jul 18, 2017.

1. leicesterfishes

leicesterfishes Registered

Hi saltys.....just after people's opinions really. Over the last 4 weeks I've lost nearly all my fish from what I believe to be velvet. My Caribbean blue tang showed signs of marine black spot and over the course of a week it went down hill. Within 10 days Id lost carribean blue tang,purple Tang,algae blenny,Midas blenny,royal gramma,both clowns,kole tang,chalk goby and scooter blenny. Remaining fishare yellow Tang,flame angel,yellow/banana wrasse and female peacock wrasse all of which have never shown signs of velvet or ich. All still eating fine and active as normal. Was it velvet as it killed most fish in space of 72 hours. No fish losses for over 3 weeks now. Why lose so many fish but these 4 are like bullet proof? Cheers guys

2. leicesterfishes

All corals and inverts are thriving with no signs of stress. Water params as normal and water crystal clear...so not even sure what caused he outbreak. Sadly no quarantine tank as no room.

3. cuprajake

cuprajake Registered

velvet is doing the rounds for sure

4. leicesterfishes

I think it is had a few mates had wipeouts lately. I'm lucky I have 4 fish remaining.

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Hope it works out for you mate! ime you will need a q/tank. sooner than later. even if its a 10 gallon.
    Save you in the long run. good luck anyway

6. leicesterfishes

Cheers Phil. No room at all mate for qt tank wish I did

7. shrimpy21

shrimpy21 Registered

Sounds like velvet,but i bet money it wasent as velvet just doesnt go away on its own.the only way to kill velvet is leave tank fallow for 8 weeks or copper.all the time there is a host in the tank its alive and the cysts are very hardy

8. penzo

penzo Registered

I go for 12weeks fallow.

9. slash_halen

slash_halen <span style="color:#088A4B">SPS Help & Advice

Unfortunately you may never know for sure, histology is the only way to be 100%.

IMO velvet is one of the worst parasites to get in your aquarium because it's extremely difficult to treat, and this parasite is the main reason I quarantine. I had a goldflake angel come down with it in quarantine once, and even then I couldn't treat the fish, however it prevented the parasite entering my display and infecting 20 other fish.

The reason it's tough to treat is that many strains of velvet exist, at least 4 strains have been identified, 2 of them can tolerate copper beyond the threshold of a fish. Chloroquine again most likely has the same drawback, and the TTM only works against one of the strains, the others complete their lifecycle within 12 hours to 2-3 days meaning the TTM won't work.

There was some promising research in Noga's paper about hydrogen peroxide, however over a decade has passed now and no real method of treatment has come out of that.

If I was to come across velvet again, I would perform a 5 minute freshwater bath with a dose of formalin, then straight after the bath, place the fish into a parasite free tank. The secret is having a parasite free tank, otherwise it will not work and the fish will just get reinfected. You can then dose an antibacterial containing acriflavine to help the fish recover from the infection.

Sorry to hear about your bad luck, it happens to most of us unfortunately.

10. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

I can empathise with you Leicester fish , our tank is also going through troubled times at present with what started when our Mandarin looked like it had been Bleached it literally had NO colour left in its body,Died next day, then we had huge Nitrite spike then all hell broke lose and 2 clowns looked like the were covered with dust then royal gamma & anthias died , within 3 days we lost 8 fish don't know if its ended.
    I hope you manage to pull the remainder of your fish through but if you feel like me I am feeling pretty much useless at the moment like this situation is out of my control and I can't help ,just got to wait and see what I am left with after the medication has done its job.

11. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

+ 1 on the freshwater bath. Not to many reefers will do it. It Can Work! Give it a Go ;)

12. leicesterfishes

Thanks guys for your great replies...all remaining fish still looking absolutely fine and eating as normal. Due to me losing fish so quick I thought it was velvet but why would I have 4 fish that are fine? I treated with polylab medic for 20 days just finished now. Simply can't put fish in a quarantine tank as haven't got the space. So shall I just ride -2 weeks out with no other fish? As said before just feel bit useless at the minute.

13. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Its the only thing you can do. Don't add any other fish!
    Good Luck.

14. slash_halen

slash_halen <span style="color:#088A4B">SPS Help & Advice

Believe it or not this is quite common with parasite infections, even though you have lost many fish, others will be fine. Fish can have some form of immunity to some parasites, velvet, crypto and brook are 3 that fall under this category, research suggests this immunity is temporary, however there is also research to suggest that velvet gets weaker when it can't go through it's lifecycle properly. For example if a fish has immunity, the trophant can't attach for long enough time to fully develop to the next stage, making the parasite weaker as time goes on.

Best of luck, hopefully the worst is over with. I would personally leave it for several months before adding anymore fish.

15. leicesterfishes

Thanks mate I'm going to leave it 12 weeks to be in safe side. Had it before where I've had a total wipeout yet a friend lost all but 6 fish in a day. Strange things these parasites.

16. shrimpy21

shrimpy21 Registered

Never realised there was four different stains of velvet,learn somethink new every day.i am new to this hobby and already experienced velvet,which got introduced from a angel.i have now learned and have a qt setup for all fish before they enter the dt.
    Anyway hope you get it sorted

17. Grannycarolann

Grannycarolann Registered

Hope your bad luck has ended and your remains fish improve.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice