1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Uv Steriliser

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by phil hunter, Dec 1, 2018.

1. phil hunter

phil hunter Registered

I'm curious as to how many readers use a UV sterilizer in their set up ? I've heard conflicting reports that they're good and bad for a reef tank so unsure i should add one ir not ? .
    I have a 500l well stocked display with 100l sump containing bio balls , bio pellets in a reactor and a good quality skimmer yet still keep getting a brown covering on my sandbed every couple of days and patches of it on the inside walls . The tank has been up and running 3 months now and all my parameters are fine with no other issues except this . Any advice ?
    Cheers

2. shazants

shazants Registered

I think 3 months is a little early to expect any algea blooms to have completely gone.... It took my tank a good 9 months for it to settle down.

The main things I concentrated on to assist removing the blooms and settling the tank are as follows :

Lighting - PAR + Schedule ---- Check BRSTV for the AB+ with around 250 average par covering the tank
    Phosphate - getting as low as possible - reactor with Seachem Phoshguard ( I did start with GFO but the former is much cleaner in my opinion )
    Nitrate - getting as low as possible ( has been undetectable since the Cheato and sump had run in! ) - this was mainly by adding cheato and a sump
    Alk - Stability - the tank seemed to improve no end once i had it stable around 8dkh - this was accomplished by dosing (using Aquaforest 123+)

I also read up on UV's but very early on decided not to go down that route, there wasn't a specific reason it was just an accumulation in my opinion not to go down that route.

I haven't had any issues related to not have a UV installed over the last 2 years so ill be crossing everything i have going forward that I dont regret it.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice