1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Using A Doser

Discussion in 'Equipment discussion' started by damo666, Sep 23, 2018.

1. damo666

damo666 Registered

I purchased a set of kamoer dosers a few months ago, from a friend for my upgrade. I was thinking of keeping lps and some sps, but in all honesty at the moment I'm going to be mainly softies with the addition of a trumpet, torch duncans and a couple of candies which I already have. I trialled Nopox recently and killed of some great groups of various mushrooms and polyps. I don't think the new light I got at around the same time helped matters as it had controllable intensities and I think I set them too high. And so to my question on the dosers. Once I establish the uptake levels, will my new setup benefit from their use? I'm asking because a friend of 30 years who owns an lfs often comments that I "over complicate" things. I'll be honest, when I moved over from keeping my fully planted discus system I only had twin eheim externals and t5's. No skimmer, no atu, didn't dose anything just did weekly changes using my own ro and entry level salt. Thanks in advance for any feedback.

2. shady

shady Moderator Staff Member

TBH if you are only keeping softies with the occasional trumpets etc then as long as you keep up with water changes you should be fine.
    Also keep up with testing of the water and if you start to find the Alk/Calc or Mag dropping then you can set up the doser at a later date but I wouldn't worry to start with.

damo666 and doug_amanda like this.
  3. damo666

damo666 Registered

Sounds logical lol. I'll organise my cabinet with the shelf in place then, dosing container, manifold etc to minimise any hassle later on. Sorted my pipework last night, have balanced it nicely but find the filter sock odd. The inlet pipe is 1" or so below the water level, which means taking the sock underneath it to get it out?? Doesn't this cause crud to escape? I'm thinking I'm going to cut the pipe, use a coupler and make the lower half removable well above the waterline.

4. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

Look in b&q at there toilet plumbing section
    You can get flexible pipes which make it much easier

damo666 likes this.
  5. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hahaha..... You're a genius lol. Seriously tho, I'm a kitchen and bathroom fitter, never even gave a flexi waste pipe a thought. How often do we focus on what we think we're going to do, someone else says "why don't you just do......." and it's so easy you're left wondering why you couldn't see such a simple solution. Thanks Jim_Fitz. Nice one. BTW I've got arcadia l.e.d.tubes from an experiment on a previous setup. Would one be suitable for growing cheato? Never used the stuff before, but on the sump I'm doing now going to try miracle mud in tubs with cheato in the middle chamber.

6. shazants

shazants Registered

Hi damo666, the Arcadia lights will likely be fine.... originally when i started with Cheato in the sump i used a normal light bulb and the cheato did ok..... but then i installed a UFO grow light (plant type version with a pink/reddish tone) the cheato exploded!!! So specific LED lights designed for fishtanks should do fine.

7. damo666

damo666 Registered

Hi Shazants. I ended up ordering a horticultural light, or plant grow light if you like, from Amazon. Indeed it did have a pink tone as you say. I also had an explosion .......... Heard a loud bang one evening from my cabinet, couldn't find the cause until I noticed it wasn't on when it should have been. Condensation had got in and blown the pcb! Shame, it was a nice led unit and the colour was easy on the eye. Amazon gave an instant refund, didn't even ask for it back. A mate suggested using an external floodlight I found a small led unit, 6500k, that's what I'm using now......... and it's waterproof lol.

8. shazants

shazants Registered

LOL ... that made me chuckle..... I suppose it could have been worse!

So far mine has been in place for a good 16months and touch wood all is well with it.... it does have a fan built in so maybe that keeps the condensation off

9. damo666

damo666 Registered

Sounds good. Don't know whether my cheato is doing too good a job. I've got mainly softies at the moment, last 2 sets of tests have not shown up any detectable nitrate and 0.02 phosphate. I know a lot of the softies like "dirtier" water so I'm hoping they don't start showing signs of problems. Tanks been running since beginning of October and I've only cleaned the glass twice. Only saw a slight build up when looking from the side.

10. shazants

shazants Registered

if you think the tank is getting hungry ... just feed more.... I feed heavily twice a day and still cant get any Nitrate readings :)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice