1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured USA V UK. Why is that?

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by les, Apr 21, 2017.

1. les

les Registered

Been around reefing for more years than most have been on this earth: lol: I am also on a number of US UK groups and have 2 of my own FB groups so I get a fair bit of insight on what's going on around the reefing world. One thing that strikes me is that in the US reefers seem more inclind to take up new ideas. EG ATS's (Aalgae Turf Scrubbers for those who don't know) are quite popular as a primary source of filtration yet in the UK it appears to me few have embraced them in the UK. Many will know I am an advocate of ATS's and what they bring to the table. ATS's are just one example and yes I know the USA is far bigger with more reefers etc etc but from what I read the US reefers are in many ways more likely to accept new methods. So why are UK reefers reluctant to experiment and embrace new ideas quite so easily than thoes in the USA? I could be wrong of course but that is how it appeasr to me.

2. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Got a Point there Les. There is lots of scope for this Site.

3. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I'm always happy to try something new

4. les

les Registered

Examples?

5. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Are you using an Oxydator Les?

6. les

les Registered

Only for around the last 25 years mate. In fact I have 2 model As in the sump of this tank.

7. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Going to look into this. sounds Good :clap:

8. diver 807

diver 807 Registered

how would I benefit by using an ATS Les

9. les

les Registered

No idea without knowing your current system andI am not saying all systems would benefit however there are people running ATS with the triton method and many others. My post wasn't really about the benefits of running an ATS over anyother means of filtration more about how the US seems quicker to embrace new ideas more readily.

10. Robhammo

Robhammo Registered

Maybe they have more disposable income,as I'm just about to start out in marine fishkeeping ,the cost could be a factor.And a lot of people will think if it's not broken why try and fix it.Just my thoughts.

11. reefloat

reefloat Registered

just the reverse with the awc, shipping costs are the cause for that although have now shipped quite a few even with shipping starting around £55

12. Robhammo

Robhammo Registered

So across the board ,would what your saying apply to all products?

13. les

les Registered

I have told quite a few on the US forums about your AWC's Gordon. Threads often pop up asking about how people do water changes and when I show them pic's of my Reefloat AWC I understandably get asked about them. Big Thumbs Up

14. les

les Registered

One of the things about ATS's is that you can DIY quite cheaply and there are lots of Ideas on YouTube but I would rather this thread didn't get turned into an ATS thread we could start anther thread about them instead. I am one of those people always trying to improve my tank and one of my philospohys in this hooby is ...if it ain't broken fix it or or improve it anyway :whistling:

15. les

les Registered

Not sure what you mean exactly?
    No just products but also new ways and trying different things as long as we don't harm our animals.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  16. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

I think LED lights and carbon dosing have taken on well in the UK

As for the Americans, every time I have been there I am amazed at home much stuff the average family has
    Big pick ups, jet skis, boats etc might be something due to they get a lot less holidays than us and probably a lot less likely to take foreign holidays so their disposable income gets spent in other ways

17. Phil077

Phil077 Registered

Still looking Les there is lots of interest in this on the web and youtube lots of diy Oxydators
    Do you have any other link on this. Big Thumbs Up

18. les

les Registered

I created most of it, Phil, lol . There is an FB Oxydator group as well.
    I also wrote a piece for Albert Thiel's book nano reef aquariums.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  19. merser

merser Registered

Don't think I agree Les. Is there anything other than ats that you think they take on quicker than us?

I've not been in this for more than perhaps 5 years or so but in that time I have seen the fashions come and go. There are loads of examples. Algae beds, siporax, carbon dosing, triton etc. I don't see much that suggests we aren't keen to try new stuff.

I'm always keen to explore new methods but I do so with extreme caution because I don't want to kill stuff. though inevitably you end up trying most!

On the ats I read your threads with interest and was moments away from pulling the pin on a turbo scrubber but similar changed my mind based on an article I read on the web. I don't think I was influenced buy not wanting to try new things.

Just my thoughts pal

Jamie

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

20. les

les Registered

The US seemed to latch onto LED's quicker then there are other smaller things like using mangrove plants for nutrient export. At the same time, they seemed slower to adopt others like of all things skimmers. We were using a skimmer 35 years ago or so and they werent universally adopted in the USA.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice