1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Urgent

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by dannydization, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

As suggested above, I would concentrate on getting water changes done and poly filter, keep the air stone in the display, run the skimmer/s as normal, though probably more on the wet side.
    You have won the battle last night, but you need to win the war today with the water changes and poly filter.
    Keep us updated as you go on.

2. dannydization

dannydization Registered

cheers guys i know but as haze said with the amount of air thats going in survey they should be a vast improvement in my maine display now just crabs snails can clove polyp and kenya tree ok will do thanks leopardshark

3. dannydization

dannydization Registered

i have plenty of water approx 200ltr as i left my ro unit on over night

4. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Along with a water change in sump I would also consider a 50L change on main tank, I think that is a it 25%?

5. warby

warby Registered

Get it heated and salted and do a 50% change. If there is any bad stuff in there the 50% wc will dilute it and hopefully what fish you have left will start to pick up.

When doing a big change make double sure they sg ph and temp are the same

6. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Would 50% be too much for the sump if fish are a little fragile and have got through the night? I get why you would do it to dilute epoxy and nitrite but sump only has about 40L of water in total.

7. warby

warby Registered

In that case then what I would do is several small water changes over a couple of hours as to not shock them anymore. Maybe do 5-10% now then the same again in another hour and so on until you hit about 50% and see how they are. It won't dilute it as much as a straight 50% change as you are doing 10% +10% +10% if you get me?

Last edited: Sep 27, 2015
  8. dannydization

dannydization Registered

cheers guys ye i get what your saying mate nd cheers fishplate i know people said it would stress them but I'm going to take them to my LFS he said he will monitor them for me for bit while the tank settles down I'm just worried incase this is not it and with there being dead fish in the main tank won't it cause a cycle or ammonia or summat ?

9. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Your skimmer will take it out

10. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

I think that's the right thing to do

11. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Thanks plus im on nights so wont have time to check my slimmer isnt working

12. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

Makes perfect sense just trying to call out the risks.

You can see the tank and how big the crash is and base the decision on that.

13. screwloose

screwloose Registered

this is your likely cause, dumping a 5 day cycle into a tank containing livestock

so it's Les then...

No doubt it adds oxygen, it just isn't the be all and end all that Les says.

however don't add it neat....I tried neat to kill algae in small amounts and near caused a meltdown, this also has the ability to sterilise your tank if used incorrectly

it won't be oxygen if fish didn't recover quickly, and I will stick with the ATM addition of you added at the same time as the rock.

if this is the case any remaining livestock should be transferred elsewhere until the 5 day cycle is complete

14. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Screw loose it was the fact that Danny used a lot of dd epoxy putty and that is renowned for using up oxygen ... ATM
    Colony will not be the cause of such a tank crash the guy had no ammonia and only slightly elevate nitrite and ok nitrate was 50 p.p.m

Why have so many reefers have it in for ATM colony it clearly dose work ..

Ok
    About the peroxide .. Your opinion is that it wouldn't work fair enough I accept that but remember that word opinion...

We'll never know for sure but how many people ministering Danny last night and we all reached the same conclusion ..

So are you saying we're all wrong??????????

And not all his fish died so the advice had success he said only the chalk gobie died which he couldn't get out of the rocks...

So the intervention did work had some success...

Agree to disagree if you want but this is what I CHOOSE to believe .

15. dannydization

dannydization Registered

I do have to say ATM does work and it worked for me and several people on here and i appreciate to all the people who helped me last night and evaluate the situation and diagnose the problem the fosh are now in safe hands at the LFS Who is a a seller on here top guy

16. Fishpalace

Fishpalace Registered

What survived, I know the clowns did and 1 chromis and goby did not but did you have any others?

Paul

17. Hazey

Hazey Registered

Good to hear Danny that your prized clowns survived. Not surprised ref the DT fish

I can just imagine you coming downstairs this morning & opening the living room door with one eye closed with hightened anticipation

Yeah, Lee is a top bloke. I've not been to his new gaff yet, went to his old unit a few times. I think it's time for a trip down v soon

Dave

18. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Not sure why you turned into a village idiot ?

i didn't say ATM doesn't work in the right application, but adding product that says cycles in 5 days, then add livestock.....won't have been the best idea...

and the the sochting thing no doubt adds oxygen to water....however adding hydrogen peroxide straight to tank is asking for issues.

oxygen depletion will recover quickly if acted upon, slimmer, air stone etc. so I think it was more.

maybe the ATM turnover was faster as the system was already established, and the existing bacteria helped to blitz through it, but maybe not before the. Damage was done...ie ammonia poisoning etc.

dont be so blinkered.

19. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

20. screwloose

screwloose Registered

Well, I wasn't asking you to accept anything I was saying, I was putting my point of view in also.

if it was low oxygen alone, the fish would have recovered quickly.

This reminds me of the "when you are dead " quote.

When i say blinkered, it is that you aren't willing to accept anything but the path you are pointing on...not blinkered to my views, experiences or opinions...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice