1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Urgent

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by dannydization, Sep 26, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannydization

dannydization Registered

sorry about the title I'm in panic station right now today i have done at the rock scape and done a water change but before i did the water change the fish didn't look very happy but before i do the rock scape they were lively and happy swimming around the tank now they are all on the bottom just doing nothing they are still alive and move every now and them i currently have 2 a grade picasso clowns 3 green chromic and 1 chalk goby looks like i have already lost a chromic as hi is swimming around on his side whats best for me to do i know this sounds bad my main worry is the picasso slows as these wasn't cheap fish thanks Dan

2. dannydization

dannydization Registered

I have a 54ltr cube in the shed shall i set this up?

3. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

First thing first, get a smallish tub/bucket, that is clean and mix up some new r/o salt water and get a heater in it, once its around 25/26 transfer the fish over to it with a air pump running....

Next test your main tank to see what has gone on, ammonia, nitrite, are the main ones.... though it could be any number of things that have gone south, metal contamination, copper (though this has to be high to create this type of effect), something has probably contaminated the water, so its a case of trying to find out what it is, then taking actions to sort it.

NOTE: If you are going to use anything from the main tank in this setup it will need to be cleaned properly before going in to it, my first instinct if I am honest is ammonia thats causing it, though you need to be safe than sorry, so a proper clean will give you a better idea that its cleaned up and ok.

Either way, I would setup the spare tank and get that ready, as its unlikely the main tank will be ready for the fish to go back in to tonight or tomorrow to be fair, see what the tests results show, and let us know.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  4. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Oh you've kicked of a mini cycle .... Water change and ammolock if you have it ...

Really quickly check your ammonia

Sorry that was not very helpful

Yeah I'd set up the tank ...

Either you've put achemical or an element into your tank or you've kicked of a cycle.. So do you have carbon if you do run some.. What's your temp, what's your skimmer doing ... Do you have anything to lock up ammonia ??

Last edited: Sep 26, 2015
  5. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

[MENTION=23317]dannydization[/MENTION] reading your other posts, I saw you had some rock delivered yesterday and the mrs plonked it in, pull out all the new rock you have put in mate, leave the original stuff still in the tank for now, as this will of cycled and will help in this battle I think, the main thing here is to get the fish in to an environment that is not poisonous to them, and hopefully they will start to recover. (No promises on this though mate) :(

Will wait to see what the test results show before going any further mate, I am sure both me and leopardshark and anyone else that comes along will refresh this post regular to see how its going, so your not alone tonight mate, keep us updated.

6. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Y'know bluez is right I bet that live rock wasn't cured properly and the ammonia spike is from organisms dying off

7. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Whats going on?

I dont hace the time to skip around between between threads

I see something about using a load of epoxy to scape in your tank thread?
    And new rock above?
    How long you had these fish?

Try to put up a clear concise train of events in one place so it can be seen

Frankly big water changes seem in order without knowing much of the picture.

8. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

From what I can gather [MENTION=18256]Eyore[/MENTION], a delivery of rock went straight in to the tank yesterday, not sure if it was cured or not, but it went in, dannys tank thread mentions he was having trouble with his rock scape, so 2 packs of d&d putty and a bottle of coral glue went on that, (not sure on the size of the bottle though), he had some rock sitting in water for awhile, that he forgot about, not sure if hes used any of that or not either.

Fish have crashed to the bottom, some are showing signs of poisoning, dossile and easy to handle, suggested to get them out of there and in to a clean environment (tub/bucket) with air pump and heater, to give them a chance. asked for tests on ammonia and nitrite to see if thats the cause of it, suggested setting up the spare tank for tonight to give him time to sort out whatever is happening with the main tank.

Waiting now on reply.

Think that about sums it up, but your here now, so thats good news... :)

9. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Ok cheers guys ok my temp is 26 salinty is o.25 im not sure if i have carbon skimmer is also playing up it wont skim notsure why it is in 8 and a half inches depth of water

10. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Do a test for ammonia, it only takes a few mins to determine if that's the issue, if you have used epoxy get a power head or two pointing at the surface churning it over to drive some oxygen into the water, epoxy is known for depleting oxygen levels, if ammonia is ok then this could well be the case.

11. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Have you disturbed the sand bed while doing the rescape releasing sulphides causing oxygen depletion

12. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Ok

Real reef rock i believe, but i am not up on products so no idea if curre or not?

I cannot understand how danny has fish but scaping today?? Danny did you already have live rock

Personally (though i am confused re above), i cannof see the benefit of a move as there wont be aby filtration in a seconallyond tank

Personally i vote get a 50% water change done asap and a second 50% change done asap if needed. Frankly use tap water if you have no ro if you have to and deal with the consequences latter

Edit- my concern is the epoxy if its disintergrated into a small volume

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 26, 2015
  13. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

And for goodness sake don't feed until your levels are stable again even if everything seems ok in your tank make sure with your test kits ..

14. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Personally (though i am confused re above), i cannot see the benefit of a move as there wont be aby filtration in a seconallyond tank

I think it's to minimise contact. For fish and to give the rock a chance to eat up the ammonia ..(if that's what it is)

15. dannydization

dannydization Registered

Plz need help anyone in birmingham urget my fish are dying

16. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

I'm only in wolves but just used up water doing a water change ...

17. Eyore

Eyore Guest

But then its a vs the ammonia the fish create in a smaller volume before the main tank cycles it out.
    My betting is it likely worse....

But if there is a decent quantity of CURED live rock and the main dt is full of ammonia- then a wise idea.

Have had a tank crash overnight when moving house, and for certain i needed to act quicker than i did, only personal circumstances stopped it really

Problem here is there are 2 or 3 possible causes, i feel 1 is the likeliest but without a decent narrative, its gard to be certain.
    The advice would ve differant according to the cause

18. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Take 5 minutes to calm down and paint a picture of what has happened over the last couple of days

This will stop us all guessing and shorten the time to get you on track

19. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Yep we can't say for definite what the cause is ...
    I had a tank crash but I was really fortunate to have rescue water and a bottle of ammolock but it was terrible

It was my own fault hubris really stocking to fast thinking I was all that

20. Bluez_01

Bluez_01 Registered

Well, looking at your last post danny, you need to get on your "A Game", get a bucket/tub and get some water in it, like eyore said, if you dont have r/o water to hand, then use tap water but make it up to the 1.025 salinity, get it up to temp, if you dont have a spare heater, then boil the water in a pan for now, and cool it off with cold to get it roughly around 26 degree`s.
    Get an air pump in it and move the fish...

Then get your test kit out, and start the tests, we need to know what is happening with the test results before we can go any further.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice