1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured upgrade tank

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by city1111, Jan 10, 2015.

1. city1111

city1111 Registered

Hiya so im going to be collecting new tank with thankso mfelton23, so im going to have to go down to oasis and rent 14 tubs again for my water and making another 5 as we speak of sw, is it ok use my old water and just add new made up to it in the new tank?
    Also should i buy some fresh sand and put new in with a couple of cups from the old sand mixed in or more or 50/50?
    Im going to try make the scape better as wasnt that good my 1st try, but while im taking it out would you bother dipping it all in ro to try get rid of the hitchhikers crabs and hopefully not a bobbit worm as I saw antennas in the sand the other night, and could an ro dip effect the lr?
    Theres a sump on the new one, never had a sump before totally clueless on them will need advice on this, but wait till i pick it up tomorrow i think see what im looking at then.
    The few corals ive got and 3nems would you just bucket them in old tankwater with a heater and drip when new tanks set up ready to put them back in?
    Any ideas on best way would be appreciated the new tank is going in the same place as old one too btwThanks

2. rabbut

rabbut Registered

Hi,

Happy new upgrade :smile:

The answer to all but one of your questions is yes. Dipping LR in RO will also kill the good stuff on it and hence will do more harm than good, probably triggering a mini-cycle which with stock to move across would not be good! I'd get it scrubbed with a stiff brush in old tank water and visually inspect for any un-desirable hitchhikers (not all are undesirable) to remove with tweezers or similar.

I hope the transfer today goes smoothly for you :thumbup1:

3. city1111

city1111 Registered

Ok I've picked the tank up and I'm going to give it a clean and the pumps too and skimmer,so I've heard people using white vinegar to clean or soak pumps etc ,I've got some distilled clear malt vinegar, still stinks like the brown stuff is this the same as white vinegar or different, and what's the soaking solution? Warm water with a good few cap full in or ro with few capfulls in?

4. rabbut

rabbut Registered

I've used both malt and white neat to soak pumps with success. It stinks, but is effective. Just remember to rinse well before re-using the equipment. :smile: I know others dilute it and it make the vinegar go further.

5. city1111

city1111 Registered

[​IMG]URL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/city1111/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150111_210842_zps17dc1f03.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]URL=http://s1107.photobucket.com/user/city1111/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20150111_211238_zpsf0b16749.jpg.html][​IMG][/URL]
    [​IMG]

6. city1111

city1111 Registered

Got the tank from mfelton23 nice to meet you mike, so need some advice now was thinking of getting straight connectors to rejoin the pipe, but the middle pipe got snapped taking it out, the middle outlet connector isn't turning scraped as much silicone of and still not budging, was hoping I could unscrew it and put another piece of pipe in to connect the outlet hose to it?....looking like not a quick turnaround already! ?..any ideas or am I going to have to cut all the weir out and replace all fittings? Heads done in already lol...helpppp please:cursing:

7. rabbut

rabbut Registered

You can get female threaded unions. If you can't get the fitting out, finding a threaded to plain union with a matching thread to the fitting would be worthwhile, as would the ability to detach the pipe from the tank connector again if it ever needs to move in the future. Just remember to apply PTFE tape to the threads if you find one to avoid small leaks from the thread join.

I'd probably apply two plain unions to the other pipes, again for detachability for any future moves.

8. city1111

city1111 Registered

Thanks for a reply rabbut,Was thinking last night trying to suss out what to do for the best, I had some 21mm hot water pipe so I put that in the snapped hole the middle one, and it fitted pretty snug inside the the snapped off pipe, so I've cut it and solvent welded it in place and fingers crossed will be water tight, will test it tomorrow, the other 2 drains was I nightmare says 32mm on the pipes but nowhere had anything to fit, went to a builders yard 3 plumber merchants, nothing all 32m was way too big and couldn't find anything, so I went upto cascade and they had 1 rubber straight coupler thing, so on the other one ive got some pipe , prob ducktape pipes and then jubilee clips on both...hows this sound? Also need some advice on this sump as never had one before and clueless , there is a hangon skimmer was thinking 1st chamber would you leave the outlet in the first too or hook it over to the 2nd chamber? Then cheato in the 2nd, that I need to scrounge of someone if theres anyone out there with too much plzzz? Then return pump in the 3rd , cant add any reactors as yet bit skint now after xmas and setting this up, oh also there's a uv he had the pump in the 1st chamber and out hose going into the 3rd chamber with return pump, hows that sound? Theres 30kg lr in the dt tank too.
    [​IMG]

9. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I would forget the UV for now and concentrate on getting it running.

Sumpset up sounds exactly the same as mine, although some folk would argue running the skimmer after the cheato to let it get as many nutrients as possible.

10. city1111

city1111 Registered

Would you put the skimmer outlet in the 2nd chamber or just leave it in the 2nd?

11. rabbut

rabbut Registered

The plan for the pipework sounds a little iffy and suseptible to being knocked, but I'm sure you'll check all is firm before you get it wet. The rubber feet (left) should be OK, but the pond hoze I've found to leak slightly in these applications. It does sound like you have unusual pripework sizes if nobody has the parts in.

My skimmer outlets into the same chamber it's intake is in. Not necisarily the "best" way, it's just how I run it.

12. city1111

city1111 Registered

Cheers, I know what you mean regarding pipework but going to make sure everything's tight and siliconed in

13. city1111

city1111 Registered

Hi all, , I tested the pipe for being waterproof before the move and all was good, so carried on moved everything , all fish rocks sand etc in, now that centre pipe has a drip on it the other two drainpipes are fine, centre one has failed somewhere, doing my head in to say the least now, so dilemma could you drain weir and cut the middle out, or move everything back over to old tank again before I sell it and do the lot?....only thing is I know nothing about sumps and less about the pipework probably why I shyed away from messing with them,not confident at all, sooo is there anyone that could give me a hand in doing either or know someone that would, just dont know what to do now for the best :-(

14. McPikie

McPikie Registered

So is your middle pipe the drain I assume? Can you get a pic of inside the weir? Probably best to drain the tank to just below the weir, leaving the stock in there so not to stress them anymore, then resealing/new pipe on the drain

15. city1111

city1111 Registered

No the middle one is my return mate and 2 drains at the side

16. McPikie

McPikie Registered

Weird to have 2 drains and one return. Anyways, yes, try to keep the stress levels down on the stock. Just dain enough out so it's like a sumpless tank for a day or so whilst you fix the pipework blunder. You can use silicon, or I would personally use solvent weld

17. city1111

city1111 Registered

Are you good with sumps and pipe work , im totally clueless not confident with it ive never had a sump before, still learning , you offering your help and expertise mate for a day?:whistling:pretty please :biggrin:

18. city1111

city1111 Registered

Think its called a durso , , something like that , low drain, return , and emergency drain?

19. McPikie

McPikie Registered

I can pop round of an evening and have a look for you, but I am fairly new to sumps too, lol. I think I have a tin of solvent weld somewhere too. I would usually offer to help at weekend but I am sorting my car at the garage this saturday

20. city1111

city1111 Registered

Cheers I'll pm you mate, see what you think

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice