• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Unpleasent odour

damo666

Registered
Hi guys. Quick update. Tank stripped down, 12kg rock removed, did a rescape. Have diary photos but can't upload from my Windows Phone, unfortunately not from laptop either now. Wife dropped mug off coffee on it whilst I was out returning live rock to lfs boo boo. Nothing backed up, had all.my business stuff on, hopefully recover hard drive.
Found source of unpleasant smell. Pretty simple in the end, stagnant water inside suckers on wave makers......lesson learnt

warby

Registered
Hi guys. Quick update. Tank stripped down, 12kg rock removed, did a rescape. Have diary photos but can't upload from my Windows Phone, unfortunately not from laptop either now. Wife dropped mug off coffee on it whilst I was out returning live rock to lfs boo boo. Nothing backed up, had all.my business stuff on, hopefully recover hard drive.
Found source of unpleasant smell. Pretty simple in the end, stagnant water inside suckers on wave makers......lesson learnt

can you not get Tapatalk on windows phone?

laptop might dry out and start working leave it somewhere warm over night. sounds strange about the stagnant water iv never come across that before.

Sent from my s6 using Tapatalk!

damo666

Registered
Hi Warby. Re laptop have clipped back off, no screws present and done just what you said earlier today. Yeah, I was surprised myself, but due to using all my buckets to save 120ltr of water came up a little short on the refill so had to drop wave makers down. Got the same smell, but far more intense this time, that was the root cause of my initial post here. Had a sniff of the suction cup, pure evil lol. Very much appreciate all the advice I've had on here, love learning new info and have the same buzz about tho tank as my first discus set up.

warby

Registered
Hi Warby. Re laptop have clipped back off, no screws present and done just what you said earlier today. Yeah, I was surprised myself, but due to using all my buckets to save 120ltr of water came up a little short on the refill so had to drop wave makers down. Got the same smell, but far more intense this time, that was the root cause of my initial post here. Had a sniff of the suction cup, pure evil lol. Very much appreciate all the advice I've had on here, love learning new info and have the same buzz about tho tank as my first discus set up.
just goes to show you learn something new everyday. been in the hobby 4 years and never heard of water going stagnant behind a powerhead lol.

damo666

Registered
No, me neither so it is a big suction cup. I'm going to check it again on my next water change. Took the advice given and added more cuc. 6 turbos and 4 hermits. Now, I asked this question in the lfs, and try not to laugh as can already hear all the witticisms coming. DOES SIZE MATTER lol. The reason I'm asking is there is one that's probably double all the others in size with a sizable shell. Do these things bicker or just get on with a solitary life? I did put half a dozen shells in as well and within the you one had moved home, fascinating to watch.

warby

Registered
No, me neither so it is a big suction cup. I'm going to check it again on my next water change. Took the advice given and added more cuc. 6 turbos and 4 hermits. Now, I asked this question in the lfs, and try not to laugh as can already hear all the witticisms coming. DOES SIZE MATTER lol. The reason I'm asking is there is one that's probably double all the others in size with a sizable shell. Do these things bicker or just get on with a solitary life? I did put half a dozen shells in as well and within the you one had moved home, fascinating to watch.

of course size matters.......haha.
erm....hermits will have the odd scrap and they can have a pop at the snails aswel if they fancy there shell. just make sure you have a few different size shells on there for the hermits to move into.

damo666

Registered
Cheers Warby. You've been a big help over the last couple of weeks, as have the other guys. Much appreciated as there's nothing better than friendly advice and experience. Plenty of shells in yes. New laptop bought tonight so as soon as it's configured and hard drive copied across I'll get some more pics up

warby

Registered
Cheers Warby. You've been a big help over the last couple of weeks, as have the other guys. Much appreciated as there's nothing better than friendly advice and experience. Plenty of shells in yes. New laptop bought tonight so as soon as it's configured and hard drive copied across I'll get some more pics up
no problems matey and that's what we're all here for helping each other out :)

damo666

Registered
Picture of new layout after removal of a good load of live rock. Can also get right around structure for maintenance and inspection. Pleased with it now. Thanks for all the input.

Attachments

• WP_20170108_12_56_48_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170108_12_56_48_Pro.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 149
  • WP_20170108_18_43_07_Pro.jpg
    WP_20170108_18_43_07_Pro.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 158