1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Unknown threat? Can you identify it

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by Khyabusa1300, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Khyabusa1300

Khyabusa1300 Registered

Hello to you all. I have recently purchased a 200 litre marine tank to upgrade from my 56 litre and have been told about a potential threat already in the tank. Could any one identify this for me and explain what it is and what I should do about it. Please see attached photos and thanks in advance.

Regards Keith

Attached Files:

2. microbius

microbius Registered

looks like Aiptasia to me

welcome to salty box

3. dj23bol

dj23bol Registered

A couple of peppermint shrimp should get rid of it ive read somewhere that they eat it

4. doug_amanda

doug_amanda Admin Staff Member

Yep, looks like aptasia to me too,,

there looks to be quite a lot on that one rock can you remove it?

5. beech1999

beech1999 Registered

Yep looks like the dreaded aip, aptasia x worked for me but doesn't work for others, depends if you can get to them with a good shot of it, there are other ways to get them too, if they're only on that rock in the pick & it's small enough you could remove the rock, or get a file fish of which I've had success with in another set up I had, jay

6. dragonet

dragonet Registered

It is aiptasia , copperband butterfly , or cheaper is peppermint shrimp, I would always keep 1 at least

7. jim_fitz

jim_fitz Admin Staff Member

id remove the rock if its just on that one

8. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Aptasia or apps for short are generally known by the marine hobbyist as a PITA.

there problem is they tend to multiply rather a lot and be a general nuisance to corals and owner.

if they are contained to that one piece of rock then great just lob it away and never look back imo.

9. JayTee

JayTee Registered

As others have said take the rock out and bin it before they spread........cos they will. I too have had success with peppermint shrimp but they need to be hungry as they will eat other food before they bother with aips.

10. Sammy8921

Sammy8921 Registered

Have these grown whilst in your tank as it is set up now or have you just put this in your tank from another?

If they have spread whilst you have had the rock in place then suggest you will need to treat the whole tank as they will have spread their spores already. Just removing the rock if possible will be beneficial but chances are you will see others pop up elsewhere now.

Do you know anyone with Aiptasia eating Nudibranch?

11. Hazey

Hazey Registered

This is not a good start to your marine keeping hobby. I would take the rock out if the aiptasia's are only on that one piece. Failing that buy 2 or 3 true peppermint shrimps, do not add any fish to your tank & do not feed your tank so the pepps will eat your aiptasia's. The problem I find with some pepps are that they start to eat your aips but then get lazy & start to eat the fish food you add to your tank.
    Trust me, I've gone through a nightmare with aiptasia's recently & after an 18 month battle I have finally gor rid of them all, granted I had loads that had spread throughout my whole tank overtime.

Dave

12. MikP

MikP Registered

+1 on Aiptasia, I've had 'em (still got the odd 1 or 2) since start up.
    I've had pretty good results with Aiptasia X, it's quite satisfying watching them implode. But as with any human intervention it's a bit cack-handed and there'll always be 1 or 2 you miss.
    Peppermint shrimp, Tasseled Filefish and Copperbands are partial to 'em but no guarantees.
    If its just one piece of rock then I'd remove it.
    If you have a soldering iron you can remove the rock from the water then burn them off with the tip of the iron.
    Don't do it in the house though 'cos it absolutely stinks but if you're thorough then you needn't bin the rock.

13. jas

jas Registered

Pour bleach into the tank!
    Just kidding, plenty of good responses already.

14. Khyabusa1300

Khyabusa1300 Registered

Thanks for all that info guys, it was really helpful. At least I know they can be a pest and I should get rid ASAP.

In answer to some of your questions, they are on more than one piece of rock (unfortunately), so I am going to have to try your solutions. We are just in the process of upgrading from a small 56 litre tank to 200 litres, and a friend mentioned them, but could not explain what they where or what we should do about them.

Thanks once again gain to you all for your advice. It is nice to know that with a hobby such as this, there are always experts at hand for help and advice.

Regards Keith

15. Aquacopia

Aquacopia Registered

I've always found armed sea aipx to work.

16. dragonet

dragonet Registered

A few years ago my cousin had a 200 ltr tank , light, sump cabinet, skimmer, heater etc, he got his own rock , water .a few months in he txt me saying tanks doin gr8, got loads of life , haha full of aiptasia , I mean hundreds, daft bugger was feeding them, lol, few years passed n he got experienced , a bit, he helped a m8 set up a tank , "what do I feed them" asked his m8, "meat" he replied , days later he got a txt , " the fish ain't eating the chicken I'm feeding them , " the reply he gave was " how many chickens hav u seen in the ocean?" True story

Last edited: Jan 18, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice