1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured twin pipe system part 2 (Mods to the twin standpipe)

Discussion in 'Tank Mods & DIY' started by Neil, Feb 19, 2011.

1. Neil

Neil Registered

Suggestions welcome via PM

2. Neil

Neil Registered

well here goes hope you like it I have called it "The pipe in pipe method" so you use the 20mm as a back up pipe and the 50mm as the main pipe

But as the 20mm is to small for its purpose we (you) add another 20mm pipe so you have two 20mm back up pipes

the way you do this is by passing the 20mm pipe up the inside of the 50mm pipe

[​IMG]

Note you can reduce the main outlet of the T to 40mm or even 32 depending what return pump your going to be using

3. kaidread

kaidread Registered

thanks a million for that and the diagram makes it totaly clear !!!

i will give it a go and get back to you !!

kai
    xxx

4. Paul K

Paul K Registered

Thanks Neil.

5. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

sry for jumping on thread but reckon it's the same theme, my problem is a 4ft x 1.5 x 1.5 and wanting to use the space as much as poss and hope to reduce none swimming / dark under wier areas etc.....

i want the full syphon/overflow method to keep as quiet as possible, obviously avoiding mulum etc without having to have a large wier and drill holes in the glass right next to eachother.....

hope the design makes sense, needs 1 hole in the bottom of the tank and a small wier and 1 hole in the back of the tank

LHS is looking straight on, RHS is from the side, blue is weir, green is syphon pipe coming out the back of the tank at the bottom of the wier, red is overflow trickle pipe going out the bottom of the tank...yellow would be egg crate or something

[​IMG]

it means getting away with a small wier and holes not having to be drilled too close together...i'm prob going to put an emergency overflow pipe on the right hand side of the tank to a level just above that of the weir (but below the tank rim obviously)

opinions on a design idea....flaws, suggestions anything welcome...

ta

6. Neil

Neil Registered

What flow rate is this going to have to cope with ?

and what liner length is the weir ?

7. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

hi neil, have not looked into stuff like that i'm afraid mate, i'm just suggesting the concept and seeing wot people reckon or if anyone has tried the design/similar as a successful method...want to keep the wier as small as possible but still have the sypthon/overflow method

8. Neil

Neil Registered

the problem I can see with it is the length of the weir is very small so may not allow enough water to go over it

also having a stand pipe in the main tank if it leaked at the tank connector could drain the whole tank

but what could be done is a longer weir with both holes going out the back of the tank (or side) the main one as you have it and the back up pipe with an elbow on pointing upwards will do a drawing tomorrow

9. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

10. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

thanks for the info & opinion btw...appreciated and get wot you mean about the full drainage and flooding my man cave would mean not more man cave :eek:(

11. Neil

Neil Registered

Yep thats the one

but I would have the valves as close to the sump as possible this helps to make it quiet as the pipes are full of water

12. Mattjames1980

Mattjames1980 Registered

Cool neil thanks for that, just the kind of information i needed

13. justin2008

justin2008 Registered

Some great ideas there Neil.

Hopefully you can help me, Ive just read your 'pipe in pipe' method but wondered if I could alter it slightly and whether it would work.
    I currently have a durso set up 1 50mm pipe and a 25mm return pipe, both holes drilled in base and in the wier, however I was hoping to reduce the size of my wier and blocking off the return pipe hole never to be used again, reducing the size of the wier would then leave the hole in base for the return in the main tank area if that makes sense, so wouldn't be usable.

So could the only hole(50mm) be used as a pipe in pipe method, only having 1 back up pipe, my return pump is rated at 2800lph at full whack but can be reduced, although Id like to ideally run it at the max.
    Ive only just come accross this thread and its late so please forgive me if Im being stupid, would using say a 32mm inside the 50mm be better incase of a blockage to the main pipe? I guess the bigger internal pipe used then the main pipe flow capabilties are reduced, I have no idea what any given size downpipe can handle!

14. Neil

Neil Registered

what flow rate ?

15. justin2008

justin2008 Registered

The return pump? 2800lph.
    Thanks

16. Neil

Neil Registered

Sorry missed the pump size in your first post (it was early)

I would stick with 50/25

17. justin2008

justin2008 Registered

No worries mate haha
    Damn it!! I thought that would be the outcome, back to the drawing board for me.
    What kind of flow do you think I could have through the above thoughts/idea I mentioned? I ask as my current set up gives me no more than the lowest setting on my return pump(from memory its 1400lph) without sounding like my dishwasher,washing machine and sink draining all at the same time, add the masses of bubbles in the sump(corrected with a filter sock) and you realise why I want to go twin stand pipe of sorts as well as reducing the wier size which is rather large.
    So if you think 2000lph is acceptable in this design it's not off the cards!!
    Thanks again, Justin

18. Neil

Neil Registered

You should be fine with 2500lph on a pipe in pipe 50mm main with the 25mm back up in the centre

19. justin2008

justin2008 Registered

2500lph would be awesome.
    Would certainly be an improvement on 1400lph plus reducing wier size, would 25mm back up pipe/internal pipe be the best size to use?eg instead of 32mm or 20mm back up pipe.
    So to do this mod all Id need is a 50mm ball valve and a 50mm t-piece with a reducer to whatever size pipe is used in the 50mm pipe in the wier?
    Sorry just sounds too good to be true Haha

20. Neil

Neil Registered

Once you leave the 50mm tee I would reduce down to 32mm and use a 32mm valve this will cut the cost down as well

Note I have 3000plh+ going down 32mm fine

I will do a drawing up for you tomorrow of to bed now as been up since 2:30 this morning

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice