1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Tunze LED

Discussion in 'Reefs' started by richard, Oct 23, 2012.

1. richard

richard Registered

I'm in the process of setting up a shallow, narrow, rimless tank and have been looking at the new Tunze LED units.

The ability to have them mounted at the water surface or even under it is the main selling point for me, the one thing I'm unsure about is the spectrum.

The marine versions use a combination of 6500k leds with blues, will this cause an issue with algae growth in the tank, I know this is dependent on other factors, but will the light encourage algae ?

And what are peoples general views on these new lights ?

Tunze LED striplight is waterproof and magnet mounted, comes in blue, white and mixed

2. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I think given I read in the comments that they are 0.22w LEDs, I'm guessing they are for pretty effects rather than positive useable light.

3. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

120 quid for 14w of led only tunze could get away with that
    Cheers Bob

4. richard

richard Registered

This is the kind of look I'm going for with the new tank, but on a smaller scale.

[​IMG]

5. richard

richard Registered

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

I used to have AquaFX which were submersible. Fun, great and even had a remove control and 24hr times for all the colours in the rainbow and then some more. But similar power output in terms of Low so I woudn't recommend them for anything other than supplemental lighting unless you're running a shallow tank, say sub 18".
    I'd like to e proved wrong though at it would knock the price of aquarays.

7. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

So, 100-150 Par at 12" (30cms).
    Ok, some details I have on a Cree unit is here:

70601d1349891943t-led-light-cree-60w-manual-dimming-mossley-ol5-9dr-collection-delivery-imageupl.jpg

In comparison, it's poor. Par, however is usually over-rated and not actually sure if some people measure PAR under water for their units.

8. richard

richard Registered

I'm planning on having around a 55cm, 35cm, 35cm tank, and would be looking to use three units which if what they say about the par increase from using multiple units is correct then aren't they feasible ?

9. richard

richard Registered

What Cree unit is that though, the par results for the tunze are for only one 14w unit, with multiple units positioned together wont the output increase ?

But regardless of that, what about the 6500k spectrum ?

10. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

For that size tank if youre thinking of three tunzes what about a Geismann Tezla probably work out cheaper and would be controllable as well just a thought
    Cheers Bob

11. richard

richard Registered

I have two options for my new system, a shallow tank set up with the tunze, or more of a cube style tank set up with a Tezla, I've just always wanted to go for a longer, shallower system.

Wouldn't the Tezla be a bit overkill at 65w for such a shallow tank, and what would the spread be like over that length at that height ?

I had a chance to see one the other day and they are really nice units.

12. richard

richard Registered

I know I'd be able to lower the intensity, but Id always be tempted to higher it.

13. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

This one: http://www.thesaltybox.com/forum/showthread.php?t=126190
    Also known as an OCReef 60w unit.

I am not sure, but in theory your PAR should stay the same. But the spread would be wider therefore placement of corals could be easier. The PAR may increase is units are placed right next to each other but suspect you're not looking to budget about £2k for your tank lighting.

6500k - This is currently under debate. Some people are starting to add the odd 6500k bulb to their system. I think that if you control your nutrients within the tank, maybe by exporting it through chaeto or similar fed via a 5500k or lower bulb you should be okay but algae is a real pain.

Lights are not really my forte though so would be nice to see if someone can confirm my thoughts here.

James

14. Bob1888

Bob1888 Registered

Youre saying if im right 55cm length tank if thats it then a tezla would be fine depth wise you just adjust the intensity of the leds to suit
    Cheers Bob

15. richard

richard Registered

Thank you for the advice.

What i'm thinking is, if the tank depth is only 35cm and then the tezla is mounted on the bracket above that, will the angle of the spread effectively cover the 55cm length, or would i end up with a really bright section in the centre ?

16. richard

richard Registered

Personally though if I went for the Tezla I think I would go for the cube, I like the look of the 60ltr Dennerle tanks set up with a Tezla.

The other reason for me wanting the Tunze however is that pretty much if not all the other equipment in the tank will be Tunze, the filter, the skimmer, the pumps, I have a bad habit of wanting things to match.

17. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

It starts with a "T" and ends with a vowel so Tesla is not so different to the name "Tunze" :)
    Would wait to get some really decent reviews to be honest, still think it's more pretty than functional.

18. richard

richard Registered

Thank you that, that makes all the difference, I'll go by a Tezla now :)

Does anyone know what the spectrum of the Tezla is on full power on all channels, there's quite allot of white xml's in ratio to the blues so would be interesting to know what color it produces.

19. richard

richard Registered

jrob3rts when you said you think its more pretty than functional, was that regarding the Tunze or the Tezla ?

20. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

Tunze. Would like to see one though in person.
    As for the Tezla, I expect it to be high quality but not read the boring info on it yet. Beyond info, real use experiences count for a lot these days so look out for real user reviews before going nuts.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice