1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Triton Method

Discussion in 'Filtration / ULNS' started by PaulTys, Dec 20, 2013.

1. u2coop

u2coop Registered

Fully agree, however there are 2 areas where there will be major differences.

There is going to be tanks over a certain volume where you would have to be deranged to even consider Triton which is the category I would put you in. When buying in bulk as you do I don't believe there is a decision to make.

however when using smaller tank volumes where you are unlikely to buying in bulk that is where Triton can compete and let's be right this is where you will find most of your novice aquarists.

when you see some of these on the other forum people spending ridiculous amounts on some of the bigger tanks it is crazy.

2. StarfishEnterprise

StarfishEnterprise Registered

mine is 130l nano :thumbup1:

3. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

Im interested in your decision to go with triton U2coop. I assume it wasnt a cost based decision, so i guess it was simply that you feel it is an easy way to acheive a good looking tank?..or less time consuming to acheive a good looking tank?

Costs get banded about quite a lot but I think with methodology costs rarely come into it. People ball over running a calrx not because of costs per se but because it is deemed as easier with less chance of failure. If company "X" was to develop a rock solid method of running a tank that removed a lot of maintenance but was a degree more expensive than other methods i think it will still be relatively successful

4. u2coop

u2coop Registered

Didn't say it was for all just that it could compete at this level.

If People have enough money free at the time to buy 25kg then balling is unbelievably cheap...if I only have £50 and have to pay 11.50 a kg the price then more than doubles and it's still unbelievably cheap.

As I said its not for all and if someone proposed the same service with testing etc for balling that would probably be followed in the same way.

5. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

As Nigel will know I recently switched from Light to Classic, several reasons for this but mostly from reading the majority of his posts & discussions with Ehsan kind of helped me settle on the decision.

To tell the truth I did consider triton as an afterthought but didn't want to swap and change just for the fun of it.. My current dose is only 64ml per day, so on my tank it wouldn't be a massive running cost. Yes still more expensive than classic with fm salts but hardly breaking the bank..

6. u2coop

u2coop Registered

You are right that it is because of the potential ease of use however not for the reasons you may think.

I will be off for a month round Indonesia and I want to make things as easy as possible for the Mrs while I'm away. So I'm testing it at the moment making sure it stays in sync etc. just not using there testing or additional additives, never used NSW either.

in an ideal world I would have continued balling but needs must at times.

7. microbius

microbius Registered

for comparison on my 200 litre reef using "the simples method" that is

water changes with reef crystals to restore ionic balance and so on and so forth
    dosing bicarb, calcium and magnesium by hand
    and testing the main water parameters currently known and accepted as being required for a reefs health........all in roughly £5 a month:smile:

View attachment 105719

8. microbius

microbius Registered

it may also be worth bearing in mind with comparisons that there is a big difference between using "the triton method" and just using a triton product

this is why I include water changes, dosing and testing in my above costings as a direct comparison between the two "methods"

9. Eyore

Eyore Guest

And this cannot be achieved classic balling because?

10. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Some good points raised.

Let's face it the amounts I quote for classic balling method are not small fry! A reactor would cut these costs dramatically. The use of foodgrade also cuts the costs (which is why many do this for lite/2 part (myself included), however you really should do a bit more water changes, and this is part of the reason for use of the classic method (ionic imbalance for 2 part needs water change), or triton.

11. Eyore

Eyore Guest

I don't understand what you mean

Do you mean I could use the triton tests, and dose individual elements based on this, and use other balling salts?
    Explain

12. u2coop

u2coop Registered

to be honest it could, talking her through multiple tests, water changes, possibly mixing solutions and water etc....but why add extra work for her when she works 9-5, coaches gymnastics 3 night a week and is in her final year of university at night school.

IF (and its a big IF) I can validate that this will keep my settings in sync without any ill effects and gives me the confidence that she can do an alk test once a week, check the salinity, take a bit of water out, fill the ATU with RO and everything will be ok then to be honest I'm willing to give it a go. if things start to fluctuate however and doesn't provide stability then she will have a bit of learning to do.

And the rainbow and superman montis I got from you are still spot on Thanks

13. Eyore

Eyore Guest

Lol, hi mate, I talk to too many people!!

Well, in essense it's the same method! Triton is a product of the classic method.

3 solutions ( i mix 25 litres a time)
    Dosed equally, to create seawater and supplement calciumand bicarbonate in a balanced way)

Essentially you test only dkh with both "methods". Calcium accumulation is likely for most using either method, or a calcium reactor for a lot of users (though I have none)
    Magnesium maybe dosed with triton, where as some classic recipe do not (some do), but this canbe dosed balanced, things like potassium, strontium and iodine also. But this is guess work, exclude strontium (as it gets confused as calcium when building calcium carbonate), there is no accepted balanced rate (unlike caco3, which is around 1dkh- 7ppm ca), accepted averages at most.
    So 1 doesn't really take more or less effort than the other.

Tbh I would be very interested in dariusz take on all this. Aquaforest classic recipe is perhaps the most inclusive one I seen

14. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

is there really that big of a difference, I don't think so...

If I wanted to run triton on my tank I'd need to remove one baffle from my sump and upgrade the sump light to full spectrum.. (Off the top of my head I think that's all I'd need to do).
    Labtests IMO are optional, hobby test kits can yield accurate results for the majority of tests when compared to lab analysis. I don't own tests for iodine, strontium, potassium etc etc. So I'd have to buy them if I wanted to test for them, how much would the initial outlay be? (At a guess about £100). Admittedly I'd be able to test multiple times after the initial purchase but for about £45 I could pop some water into a vial and have about 32 parameters tested.

I wonder if triton was the same price as for example fm salts then would people still debate as much?
    A few weeks ago I was reading through the archives on UR and found a thread where people were bashing led light units, slagging them off saying they would never work, they wouldn't have enough power to grow corals.. If anything I think the opposite have been proven, they are now too powerful!
    I wonder if in a few years someone will look back at these type of threads and think "what was all the fuss about".

(As iv said, I'm not for or against Triton)

Last edited: Dec 23, 2013
  15. microbius

microbius Registered

no Eyore I don't mean that, what I mean is the full "triton method" involving using their testing service and dosing their various additives and elements that they tell you to

-DISCLAIMER-:-d

as I previously mentioned I don't know much about "the triton method" but to the best of my knowledge the monthly costing's of "the simples method" is valid as a comparison because it covers water changes to keep any trace elements available and balanced (comparable to the one off bottle they provide you with to restore trace elements after testing). dosing the three main elements that we know reefs require(comparable to the three or four bottles for on-going dosing), and water testing by myself(comparable to the in house testing they do which may not be as extensive as their tests but does not need to be as the water changes deal with trace elements that may or may not be required)

16. microbius

microbius Registered

for me I believe there is a big difference trying to compare costing's etc of different methods if the method in its whole is not being used, because if you for example were to select and adopt just the parts of it that you want to use and not go for the whole kit and caboodle then you wouldnt be using the "triton method" you would be using the "Galvanised/Triton fusion method"

17. Eyore

Eyore Guest

But what is the triton method as a whole??

Tbh, it's been extremely well advertised, with little truth being revealed throughout. The testing is an expensive add on, I didn't account in the costs. However I don't feel the testing has a great deal of merit to it either

18. Clearwater

Clearwater Registered

actually I think the Lab test once a year is worth while no matter what method employed

19. Eyore

Eyore Guest

In theory I agree! I think for all methods it's worthwhile!

However in my attempts to establish degree of error/accuracy, I found the majourity of tests implied a very large degree of inaccuracy, in my attempts to find out as to why, I made a few (more) enemies, and made some of my enemies a little angry! Sometimes these things happen, thankfully more people see the true nature of what is transpiring

Anyway I digress.

3 options

(a) you test with super accuracy, and replace as needed

(b) you test what you can, replace what you can as a reefer, and rely on water change to rectify the rest as it has been up to now

(c) you realise that by enlarge it doesn't matter bar a half a dozen perameters

I am not averse to (a), I just don't really see it as too plausible yet, so b and c for me. I doubt it would ever be just a

20. Galvinized

Galvinized Registered

As far as I'm aware the ability to dose trace elements is a relatively new part of triton, at a guess about 3 months old. Vince's tank is properly the longest running triton tank in the uk, so it would of run on triton (gen 1) just the three bottles. Were these elements part of the original recipe and have now been removed, I don't know.

As with most systems the user can apply it in its simplest form or if they wished they can go all out and supplement additional parameters. It's all down to the user and what they want from their tank/livestock.

I'll refer back to LEDs, someone starting in the hobby with the intention of keeping a few soft corals might go out and buy a used chinese unit from the classifieds to get them started.
    Someone like myself, keeping a few SPS & LPS might pick the radion G2.
    Someone who is SPS heavy might go strait for the radion pro.
    Different strokes for different folks, it can be as simple or as complex as you like. Isn't that one of the good things about reef keeping?

Could you just use the elements for Alk, Ca & Mg and get great results, I'm sure you could. That would be the method in its simplest form.
    For those who wanted to dose vandium or zinc for example, in the belief this would give even better results at lease the option is open. It's all about what people believe will yield the best results and to what extent they believe they need to go to to achieve the results.

Different strokes for different folks. (All in my humble opinion of course).

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice