1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Transfering to new tank

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by warby, Aug 30, 2015.

1. warby

warby Registered

I'll be transfering my 3ft tank to my new 5x2x2 in a few weeks......the plan,

The new tank is going where the existing one is going.
    Drain old tank move out of the way fill old tank back up while I get the new tank stand in place and plumbing connected up then fill new tank using old water and some new.

New sand 25kg bag
    Use existing rock plus some u have curing in the garage. Rocks will be out of water for no more then 20mins so will I be best off getting some bacteria in a bottle or will it be ok?

If you recommend bacteria in a bottle what brand? Current set up about 300L new set up just over 700L.

Any other tips would be good :)

2. tyger

tyger Registered

That's the way I did it from tank number 2 to tank number 3 I had no ammonia spikes but I don't think adding any bacteria would do any harm. I use denitrol.

3. Andi

Andi Registered

Exciting times! As said by Tyger, it certainly won't do any harm adding a bottle of bacteria (as you can't overdose!), myself, I use ATM Colony.

4. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

+1 on colony but make sure you get marine

5. warby

warby Registered

Only thing with colony is the price lol....£35 for a bottle that 'treats' 100gallons my new tank will be 150G ish.

6. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

But if your live rock doesn't need to cure and theirs no die off ... You won't need that amount ...

7. merser

merser Registered

As above. It's only a fail safe really.

8. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Tbh the bacteria in a bottle Is more for the extra rock your going to put in and the new sand as I wouldn't re use your old sand ...

Now don't misunderstand me (i wouldn't throw it out either I'd clean it in normal tap and use it when your sand needs renewing )

9. warby

warby Registered

I'm changing the type of sand, going from proper sand to 2-3mm gravel as it's easier to keep clean and the chit dosent build up as much.
    Might not bother with the bacteria in a bottle then as the rock won't be out for long and the only new thing will be sand......

10. Gremlin

Gremlin Registered

I did the same as you planned, but without the extra rock. I didn't have the water production capability to fill the new one in one go (went from 170L to 750L).

I moved most of the rock first, and waited 24 hours, then added the CuC and finally the fish.

I didnt re set my old tank up fully as I kept the water level below the drain so I didn't have to use the old sump.

my mistake I think was having disturbed my sand bed in the old tank I hadn't got enough circulation to increase the oxygen levels and I think that is what caused my coral beauty to die overnight. I realised that I failed to reinstall a powerhead near the surface to improve oxygenation.

everything else was fine and has been since moving to the new tank, but just a note for you to ensure that your old tank water is still capable of sustaining the occupants until move over time.

good luck on the move.

11. warby

warby Registered

Cheers gremlin iv got enough room to make up the extra 400L I need in the garage so it will be salted and heated before it goes in . But I'll use the old.tank water first then add the new stuff I think. Iv also got the plus of being able to leave old tank running for a few hours but can't leave it over night

12. Gremlin

Gremlin Registered

Nice one, if at all possible get as much of the old water that you plan to re use out of the old tank before you start disturbing everything to reduce the risk of nasties getting mixed up in it.

13. Kaiser99

Kaiser99 Registered

Why wouldn't you use the old sand ?

14. merser

merser Registered

It will be full of settled detritus mate. Could set of an ammonia spike. Plus for a £20 bag of sand it's just not worth risking IMO.

15. warby

warby Registered

+1 on what merser said. After being in there 2 years alot of crud will have built up and if not washed out properly it will cause problems

16. Kaiser99

Kaiser99 Registered

Sound tbh I was gonna use my old sand cos I thought it would've been full of good stuff.... Thx for the advice guys

17. warby

warby Registered

Keep a cup full of old sand to seed the new stuff :)

18. Kaiser99

Kaiser99 Registered

My tank ATM is not sumped
    The nitrifying bacteria is in the external filter
    Where is this bacteria stored in a sumped tank ?

19. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

In the live rock and sand

20. leopardshark

leopardshark Registered

Some people have deep sand beds in their sumps

.. But usually the bacteria colonises the porous rock you put in your system the idea of the sump is to hide equipment ie heaters.. And have equipment skimmers or even export nutrients naturally using Cheatomorphra macro algae (or if you can't grow if like me mangroves)
    It's also afford you an isolated area for cultivating organisms like copepods and isopod that your fish snd corals can use to eat.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice