1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Torch coral not looking good.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by richard, Feb 10, 2011.

1. richard

richard Registered

I've been trying to raise my magnesium over the past few weeks and after adding some salifert magnesium powder today my Torch coral as fully retracted and doesn't look good.

All my other corals are looking healthy infact some are actually looking better than normal.

My test are currently

nitrate: 2
    phosphate: 0
    sg currently 30ppt due to water from different lfs but trying to get this back up.
    alkalinity: 8dkh
    magnesium: 1290
    calcium: 340
    ph: 8

Could it just be due to the sudden increase in magnesium or could it be the increase in sg.

Or is there any other problem.

2. Marine Life UK

Marine Life UK Registered

Id say that its sulking due to changes, also sometimes they sulk when making new heads.
    If it stays shut down for a few days then id say there is a problem, my torch sulked for 3 days recently but when it finally looked better it was bigger then ever.

Also get a pic up if your really worried

3. PaulW

PaulW Registered

+1 as above. Mine is in the process of making a new head and is sulking a little but I would put it down to the changes.

4. richard

richard Registered

Thanks for that, I just got bit worried because it normally looks healthy.

How bad is it to have the sg at 30ppt, it was at 35ppt but my new lfs's water seems to be mixed lower.

5. Marine Life UK

bit too low IMO. couldnt you get a small bag of salt and add some to LFS water

6. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Mine was looking great, even grew a new head then sulked,came back fine, sulked again and now got brown jelly. I hate this hobby at times

7. richard

richard Registered

I've been using the saltwater instead of the ro this week for top ups to try and higher it.

My lfs said his water is at 35ppt but when I tested it at home it was 30ppt.

I'm going over tomorrow to ask him about it, it might be that my refractometre isn't right but I doubt it.

8. Marine Life UK

have you calibrated it

It may just be that they mixed a wrong batch.

9. richard

richard Registered

That sounds like my toadstool, one minute it looks great and then the next you would think it was dead.

10. richard

richard Registered

Yes calibrated it with RO and checked it several times, I did only get it this week though so its the first time I've used one.

11. Whipitup

Whipitup Registered

Also make sure you don't raise the Mag to fast.......stick to the recommendations in the manufacturers documentation.....(Xppm/litre/day)

12. richard

richard Registered

I've been sticking to no more than 50ppm per day but think I might add the powder to my atu container and let it go in gradually throughout the week.

13. Marine Life UK

im sure youll probably checking the refac right as they are an easy bit of kit to use

14. Ged

Ged Registered

How big an increase in 24 hours of Mg?

15. richard

richard Registered

Yesterday it was about 1250 today its 1290.

Its was 1230 at the start then it didn't really rise much and then was 1250 when tested yesterday and 1290 today before adding some more of the powder.

16. Marine Life UK

becareful when adding mag to top up because unless you know that you have let the topup go dry there could be a concentration build up.Unless of course you are mixing it at the correct dose in the ro then adding it to the topup vat. I always mix in a ex-brita filter jug and drip in over a few hours.

17. richard

richard Registered

Thats what I was planning on doing, measuring out what I need to add each day and then mix the weeks worth into the ro which when full normally lasts a week.

I'll put less in just to make sure it doesn't overdose.

Will that be alright.

18. Ged

Ged Registered

It's not going to be that then I don't think, you are fine with raising up to 50 per 24 hour period, and that was only 40

19. richard

richard Registered

I think it might be that I added all the 24 hour amount quite quick rather than slowly, but it didn't say anything on the container about this, just to not raise more than 50 each day.

20. Marine Life UK

yes Richard that would be cool, how long has it not looked so good (I may have missed it)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice