1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured Too much flow through my sump.

Discussion in 'Help and Advice' started by cds, Jan 9, 2015.

1. cds

cds Registered

Hi all. Having recently set up my new tank there seems to be a huge amount of flow going through the sump.
    the tank has a sicce 5800 LPH return pump through 25mm pipe to a twin outlet.
    my returns are 2 x 40mm drains one is set 12mm below the weir comb and the other is set half way down the weir. It is not that noisy but just wandering if you can have too much flow?
    below is a bad picture of the water flowing over the glass baffle.
    thanks for any advice.
    [​IMG]

2. vin

vin Registered

You can put a control tap on the drain as well as the return to slow this down to what is needed... Can be tricky to get to two taps to match.. but will sort it out..

3. cds

cds Registered

Thanks Vin, I have two ball valves on the drains one is nearly closed (the one on the lower pipe in the weir) the other is set at about a quarter. I am concerned that if I restrict the return too much the return pump will overfill the tank resulting in a good smiley-sex020 from the misses.

4. cds

cds Registered

Oops just seen the bit about the bll valve on the return as well. Will have to get one tomorrow. But can there be too much flow in a sump because as I say it is not causing a problem but am thinking ahead if I decide to add algae at some stage. Thanks again.

5. Eyore

Eyore Guest

what are the tank and sump dimensions?

you shouldnt have a ball valve on the highest stand pipe- this sets your level in the weir

6. cds

cds Registered

Hi Eyore. The DT is 48x30x24 the sump is 33l x 20wx 18 high with the maximum water height being 11" which is where the returns run to. Thanks.

7. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

Flow through the sump will be dictated to by your filtration...what have you got, start from there are work backwards. For example if your skimmer is rated for 400 lph and you are pushing 1000 lph past it then it won't skim efficiently. Similarly if you have a dsb with water running too quick then detritus won't settle and the dsb will starve. A biologist (Escobal I think his name was ) some years back ascertained that 1.87 iirc times tank volume is the best flow for an algae bed. So to answer your question, yes too much flow isn't a good thing

8. cds

cds Registered

Thanks Matt. But is it just a case of adding a ball valve onto the return to slow it down? As per Eyore with having no ball valve on the higher pipe in my weir I assume I can just open this fully to save having to take it of but will the tap on the return affect the pump?
    thanks again.

9. Eyore

Eyore Guest

20w and its about 2cm head abovs the baffle! impressive pump!

5800 is about 10x your display, nothing wrong in that really

leave the tap fully open on the highest stand pipe, balance the level in the weir with the tap on the lower pipe until water just trickles over the higher pipe (i hope your weir dont leak btw)

it maybe simpler to buy a pump with 50-70% of the output thpugh and save some watts

10. cds

cds Registered

I hope the weir don't leak either :lol:
    think I may look at a smaller return pump as only used this one as it was sitting in my shed from an old 5x2x2 and thought it would be ok. Thanks for your advice, really appreciated. Big Thumbs Up

11. Enzogobby

Enzogobby Registered

Might be the pic, but the water level in sump seems a bit high there.

12. cds

cds Registered

Thanks Enzogobby. I think it is slightly high but that is the amount of flow that is coming out of the drains keeping it that high i think. The first section where the returns are is 11" high into the centre section then the bubble trap is set at 10" high. I have fully opened the higher drain in the weir and tweaked the lower one. As I say it does not seem to be causing a problem and is fairly quite. Thanks.

13. Matt@Epo

[email protected] Registered

What height of water is cresting over your weir?

14. ahmedlfc

ahmedlfc Registered

You also should account for the fact your pump efficiency will deteriorate somewhat from day zero and as Matt points out If your skimmer is not equally matched to your turnover through the sump you might want to dial the return pump back

15. cds

cds Registered

Hi Matt. About 1cm.

16. cds

cds Registered

As it is a completely new set up the skimmer is not in yet but I have ordered a deltec sc1450. Thanks.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice