• Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

The two money pits....

Reefcubeboy

Registered
We burn turf below our tanks here to keep em warm....a mirror at the right angle on the wall works a treat for free lighting as well

Ged

Registered
I believe you like bonnies for keeping warm.

I hope these images don't cause offence if they do I will remove them. A couple of friends sent them.

Reefcubeboy

Registered
For anyone panicing about high readings from water tests, here's mine from last night (all salifert tests)..........

tonights tests, still not good but getting better....honestly !!!

Ammonia...................0ppm
Nitrite.......................<1ppm
Nitrate......................>100ppm (oops)
PO4..........................<0.03ppm
Ph............................8.2
dKH..........................8.0
Ca............................470ppm (bit high)
Mg............................1245ppm (bit low)
sg.............................1.026
Temp.........................76 F

Maintaining 50 lt a day water changes here for a few days and will be starting vodka dosing tonight to drop those nitrates over long term......

These are the results of longterm tap water use and easing up on the maintenance for a couple of months, but , believe it or not, they're better than my last results... _))) _))) _))) _)))

Reefcubeboy

Registered
Hence me becoming all techie recently..... _))) _))) _))) _))) _)))

Need to get these params pulled back into line before they get even worse [oops.gif]

Reefcubeboy

Registered
Advantage with most of the corals I keep...they like it dirty !!!
A few have receded a wee bit but the rics and euphyllias thrived under these conditions...just hope they're still happy when I get the tank ready for sps frags over the next month or so to finish off the full mixed reef effect....

The regular water changes over the last few days are causing better expansion on the palys and duncans already, think is due mainly to the fresh trace elements from the new salt

Reefcubeboy

Registered
Add trace elements from salifert called trace hard and coral growth to my fresh top up water currently along with tropic marine bio mag normally but it ran out last week and needs replacing.

Not adding too many sps at start to see how they do, but may consider a small reactor if they take off, if more cost effective than simply using additives

Reefcubeboy

Registered
After a bit of splashing, cursing and a lot of swearing the rear chambers have now been stripped down and re designed ......

IMGP0699.jpg

Made a cage out of egg crate and placed this in the 2nd chamber to give a raised platform. Onto this the skimmer was moved over from the 1st chamber, allowing me to eventually remove the 4 sponge blocks that it had been sitting on above the main dsb.
The return pump for the po4 reactor sat on this as well and the remaining gap nicely housed my eheim internal which is now pumping directly onto a bag of activated carbon.
Both the flow from the skimmer and the po4 reactor are now fed directly into the 3rd chamber , housing the heater and main tank return pump.
This now leaves me a nice empty 1st chamber with only the dsb and a grill covering it to hold a scrubber pad to remove solids that can be easily removed and rinsed weekly in fresh ro water to kill off any bacterial activity from starting in it, again keeping down the nitrate levels.
Dosing vodka for just over a week now and with this, the zeobak and the po4 reactor running hopefully the levels will soon be back under control, along with weekly 50 lt water changes from the ro unit and back onto d&d salt

Reefcubeboy

Registered
Just bought a 250 watt single end halide , now to get 2 twin starters for tubes and i'm ready to go try a few twigs

Got a couple of monti's and a hydnophora plater recently and so far so good, last time I tried these the receeded and died in about 4 or 5 days

IMGP0872-1.jpg

IMGP0678.jpg

IMGP0916.jpg

Going with all frags rather than colonies as I prefer to watch them grow to fit the available space and will save a fortune if they don't take.. _))) _))) _)))