1. Welcome to The Salty Box, a forum to discuss everything related to Marine & Reef Fish keeping in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to be able to join in discussions with others.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon

Dismiss Notice

Featured The Least Successful Reef Tank In The World

Discussion in 'Medium Tanks (31-100gal)' started by [email protected], Jan 6, 2013.

1. ged@fishnochips

[email protected] Registered

Those of you that know me, will understand as to why I nearly gave up, but recently I have managed to kick myself up the backside and start to get back into the hobby, like I used to be.

The last 2 years have been full of ups and downs, but now, everything seems to be going well.

I first started reefing about 3 and a half years or so with an RSM130D had that a couple of months, then upgraded to a 3x2x2 tank which looked like this,

[​IMG]

Then after a bit, looked like this,

[​IMG]

And now it just looks pants.

jan2013.jpg

After doing a bit of ducking and diving, I have managed to swap a second hand 2x2x2 tank for this one which is 4x2x2

[​IMG]

Which I believe is Robthemods old tank?

So I am having a complete clearout as I have battled constantly with brown GSP and just could not be arsed as much as I did do because it was like fighting a losing battle.

I have some fluke tablets coming from the states which should completely nuke the GSP - If not then I will just soak the current LR in boiling hot water piece by piece and start again with it.

So my progress with the new tank begins here, and hopefully within a couple of weeks will be well on its way.

2. Carlos

Carlos Registered

Great to see you have bounced back mate, looking forward to the new progress

Carl

3. Mayo

Mayo Registered

Will be following this oneBig Thumbs Up
    What corals do you plan on keeping?

4. Wilson

Wilson Registered

Great news mate. Hope those tablets work out for you ok, either way I'm sure it will all come good again in no time.

5. ged@fishnochips

Hi mate

Hopefully SPS and maybe a few LPS and a few of the buttons / palys type that are already in the tank, as I have had them from the beginning. :)

I do prefer fish over corals if I am honest, and thankfully my fish have done just fine over the rocky section. Which just goes to show they really cannot be arsed about paramaters or lighting I guess.

Current fish list

Huge Yellow Tang - again one of the very first ones I put in
    Cheryl 'the' Kole Tang
    Manderin (first fish again when everyone said not to bother as tank is too young)
    Yellow Wrasse, huge again, and just eats and eats and eats
    Cleaner Wrasse, again one of the first fish
    Flame Angel (my fave fish)
    2 huge Breeding Tomato clowns, which are dead aggressive, so I may take this opportunity to swap them for Clarkiis (if spelt rightly)
    Randalls Goby that loves jumping over weirs, swimming up the pipe, then down again, then through the screw thingy, then through all 4 sections of the sump for some reason

Current corals

Huge Bubble Coral off Durkie
    Some palys etc
    Mushies
    A couple of plating monties
    and thats about it really.

There is nothing in the tank coral wise that I really want to keep except the bubble and a few of the live ones remaining. If necessary though I am happy to start all over again, as the one thing I am is tight, and I never buy colonies, just frags. So if I lose everything, I haven't actually killed any imported corals etc.

6. jrob3rts

jrob3rts Registered

The Phoenix From The Ashes Tank Thread

I hope these tablets work for you. It's a lovely tank but needs some time on it which I can see you're keen to out in to it. All the best and am looking forward to some fantastic pictures in the weeks and months to come.

7. Realist

Realist Registered

Nice one mate. Glad your moving forward :)

8. Lee09

Lee09 Registered

Happy days really liked your 3x2x2 when I first started

9. ged@fishnochips

So do I mate, it is so frustrating not being able to get rid of them. I have tried hot water, tooth brush, nev'd calc mix and still they grow.

10. ged@fishnochips

Thanks mate, the quicker I can sell all my bits n pieces the quicker I can get going.

I think my 3x2x2 would look ok again, without this weed in it. But I always wanted a bigger tank anyway, and this is the only way I am going to achieve it unless I win the lottery.

11. Funkymonkey

Funkymonkey Registered

Brings back some memories reading out your Cheryl again

Glad you're back for good, place hasn't been the same without you joining in

Great to see you getting a new tank :thumbup1:

12. robb1977

robb1977 Moderator Staff Member

It'll be good to see what you do with this tank, my old thread should be on here still if you want any ideas what it used to look like.
    4x2x2 is a nice size tank. What are you going to do for lighting? Or are you sticking with the fairy lights?

13. ged@fishnochips

Cheers funky.

Been doing a bit of dunking in RO today and killing some of the brown GSP etc

This is how my tank looks like now, so as Yazz said in the 80's - The only Way Is Up (ignore the cloudiness I have been playing etc)

07012013.jpg

I have sold some of the softies and more are currently on sale now, so I think tbh I will completely start again excluding the ones that I decide to keep. Like I said earlier, I prefer my fish anyway.

A little undecided what to do with the fish though, as my YT is getting huge, and my Tomato Clowns are also huge now as well. The clowns regularly spawn, and I guess my ultimate goal is to get a Copperband again. But to get the Copperband, the YT and Clowns would have to go, as they absolutely battered the last one I tried.

Trying to get all organised for the change over is melting my brain lol - I keep thinking should I do this, should I do that etc

14. Hazey

Hazey Registered

really good news that your back in the thick of it & have a new project to work on, the tank looks identical to my 4x2x2.

15. liam0

liam0 Registered

You were leaving as I was coming in to here and I remember your legendary status, I will look forward to getting to know you a bit more rather than just the abuse nev gives you :wink:

16. barracuda

barracuda Registered

Great to see you getting stuck in again dude.
    :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17. ged@fishnochips

Sorry Rob missed this before for some reason.

I will have a look at the thread, as for lighting, still using the Reef Beams they haven't failed, since the last time I had them repaired.

18. ged@fishnochips

Cheers Dave will catch up on your thread later.

19. ged@fishnochips

Thanks mate.

20. ged@fishnochips

lol - No worries mate.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice